Life With Lady Luck

A Giant grocery store in Southeast D.C. sold the only winning ticket for a $144 million Powerball prize.

By Mike McPhate  |  April 10, 2009; 12:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dirty Politics
Next: House Rules

Comments

TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL: Thailand, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, France, Brazil, England - you name it.

Posted by: smmimms | April 10, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I would become the economic stimulus plan that I envision. I would create a foundation to help people defend themselves against unscrupuolus

Posted by: overhereontheleft | April 10, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I would become the economic stimulus plan that I envision. I would create a foundation to help people defend themselves against unscrupulous banking, mortgage and credit card practices.
Oh...and a little travel now and then!

Posted by: overhereontheleft | April 10, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I would support a number of community groups that cater to the homeless and unemployed. Fund retraining and training programs for nonviolent exoffenders, support small churches with a grant program to aid their parishes and provide funds for feeding programs.

I would then get my young family members established in work and higher learning tracks and spoil my mother, brothers and sisters.

Finally, I would treat myself to the most succulent lobster/shrimp dish possible with sushi a bottle of Dom Perignon and Opus 1.

I would build a large real estate portfolio to hedge against inflation with residential/commercial focus.

Posted by: curtispree | April 11, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to act locally mostly, simply radiating out from home, helping as needed: saving homes for neighbors, supporting shelters, teaching job sills and reading for adults, etc. But it'd be hard to resist the temptatation to do a bunch of micro loans to people in developing countries...

Posted by: Chris_VA | April 12, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd save, save, save. $144 million just doesn't go as far as it used to.

Posted by: scribblegenie | April 12, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I would make sure my immediate family (and a FEW friends) will be taken care of, buy a house and A car, establish my retirement fund, establish a scholarship fund in my hometown, and travel.

Posted by: linroy62 | April 12, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

well since im from Southeast DC i would help that community heavly. i drive all around SE it could use a lot more playgrounds. more places to eat. there are a lot of abandond buildings i would fix those up for the community. a really fix a lot of the streets i that area. i would basically give back.

Posted by: territ1 | April 13, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

I would execute a mixture of the activities mentioned in the grab bag on your site; however my wish list/to do planner would look more like the following;
I'd quit my job and get training in an area connected to helping people and philanthropy. I’d buy a home, because I don’t have one and I am sick of paying rent. I would buy a few pieces of jewelry, a new car; take a sabbatical before starting school. I'd definitely upgrade, maybe finance movies or something. I’d eventually go back to work. Last but absolutely not least, I would set aside money for my children’s education.

Posted by: ksaun64 | April 14, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I would definitely give back to the community. I am from SE and see it could use a lot of improvment. I would definitely take advantage of the real estate market. It is a good time to buy. I would try to diversify to appeal to all kinds. I would try to create affordable housing for working families. Give a big chunk of it to my family and maybe a few close friends.

Posted by: tonya1771 | April 15, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse