Mixing Bowl Advisory

VDOT asked us to remind everybody about the overnight work going on this week at the Springfield Interchange that will shut down part of the Capital Beltway's outer loop.

Here's what's going on:

What/Where: Through Thursday night, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Weather permitting, VDOT will close the Capital Beltway outer loop, I-495 East (toward the Woodrow Wilson Bridge) and the exit off the outer loop to I-395 North (toward Washington) about three-fourths of a mile before and after I-95/395 to erect the final steel span connecting the two segments of the new I-395 North bridge to the Beltway inner loop, I-495 North, expected to open this fall.

Motorist Impact: I-495 East motorists heading to the Wilson Bridge and motorists exiting the Outer Loop to I-395 North heading to Washington must exit onto I-95 South to Exit 166, Fairfax County Parkway East (Route 7100) and turn around onto I-95 North.

Motorists heading back to the outer loop (toward the Wilson Bridge) will take the left two I-95 North lanes onto the flyover ramp back to the outer loop. Motorists heading to I-395 North will take the right I-95/395 North lanes. The 10-mile detour is expected to add an additional 30 minutes travel time especially between the hours of 9 p.m. to midnight.

Additional night work on I-395 South and North and the Beltway inner loop will also occur during this timeframe but is not expected to affect the outer loop detour.

By Robert Thomson  |  June 20, 2006; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  Springfield Interchange
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro's Growing Popularity
Next: Weekend at the Bowl

Comments

Please stop this nonsense with referring to the Springfield Interchange as the "Mixing Bowl." The Mixing Bowl is the interchange of 395 and 27 near the Pentagon. It's worked its way into colloquial language, but that doesn't make it correct.

Posted by: UberPedant | June 20, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah with all the lane splits and new
"blades" in the flyovers it is more of a Cuisinart then an old mixing bowl.

Posted by: lemming95 | June 20, 2006 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, UberPedant. I've been complaining about this for years but have gotten the brush-off. lemming95 makes a good point, too, in that the whole point of the construction is to ELIMINATE all the merging and weaving. "Spaghetti Junction" would make more sense (compare Springfield to the well-known Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta).

Posted by: Rich | June 21, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Springfield interchange was called Malfunction Junction? At least it was when I was younger.

Posted by: DeeCee | June 21, 2006 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Every time I read about how you people got around back in 2006, I just scratch my head and wonder.

Posted by: Joe | June 22, 2006 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know a way to get around "whatever its called" to get on 95 S on a Friday afternoon coming from Rosslyn? Would it be faster to take GW Pkwy down to Mt. Vernon and then cut across to 95?

Posted by: DC_UKE | June 23, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

A Friday afternoon should not be a problem through Springfield; the problem is further south at Newington, where it always backs up. I'd try I-395 south to Edsall, east on Edsall to Van Dorn, right (south) on Van Dorn to where it ends at Telegraph, right on Telegraph and follow it to US-1, then go south.

Posted by: Rich | June 23, 2006 5:04 PM | Report abuse