Rain, Rain and More Rain

Some of the major problems on the area's roads and rails have been cleared, but several major complications remain for afternoon commuters.

In Virginia, the Beltway was cleared and reopened this morning, but more than a dozen secondary roads are still flooded. In Maryland, Route 29 and a handful of roads are also flooded and in the District jams are all over the city because of downed trees and malfunctioning traffic lights.

Metro has reopened all its stations, but riders continue to report slow service. The news on the suburban commuter lines is not good: VRE has announced that no trains will run today and the service will not make a determination about tomorrow until around 4:30 a.m. On MARC, the Brunswick and Camden lines will not operate today. The Penn line is operating on a holiday schedule.

Take a look at the road cameras and the alerts on our traffic page.

And more rain is on the way. Please let us know what your experiences are like...

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 26, 2006; 1:49 PM ET
Categories:  Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend Work Announcements
Next: Is That Rain I See?

Comments

This morning there was a car stuck in the left lane (coming inbound) on Canal road. This will be a major problem for the commute home if still there. Has this car been removed? Are both lanes opened along Canal Road?

Posted by: Dsmac | June 26, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Any word on why Constitution Ave NW was closed this AM, and will it remain closed for the afternoon crunch?

Posted by: magnus | June 26, 2006 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Magnus, check the Post's traffic page--Constitution Ave is flooded. As of 2:46, it was still closed, so having it open for the pm rush doesn't look promising.

Posted by: clb | June 26, 2006 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm fascinated by the comments of people on your online discussion today who complained about having to get off one train and wait for the shuttle bus. The walking distance between many of these stations is not far at all, why people didn't just walk instead of spending time waiting for a bus and then riding the bus is beyond me. Of course some of the distances may have been far, but if you're talking downtown, most are completely walkable.

Posted by: Adams Morgan | June 26, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Most of today, it's been at least 80 degrees and 90% humidity. That makes for apparent temps around 90 at least, not to mention the threat of downpours. I'd imagine not a lot of people want to walk even half a mile or so in that kind of weather.

Posted by: Kate Rears | June 26, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Any word on 395N? It was a mess this morning, but wasn't mentioned on traffic reports. Is the GW Parkway reopened?

Posted by: MD | June 26, 2006 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Very confusing info on the Traffic conditions page re: Metro, i.e., :
3:44 PM 06/26/06 Transit

"Metro Rail - Red Line Southbound at Union Station
Rail services not operating: NO SERVICE ON THE VRE FREDERICKSBURG OR MANASSAS LINES THIS AFTERNOON"

Starts off implying the Red Line is shut down...but the details seem to be solely VRE?

Posted by: Lorraine G. | June 26, 2006 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I walked to work and it's almost exactly a mile. Archives is my home station and, as we know, it was closed. (I was headed to Federal Center SW.)

The humidity was a killer, though the walk itself is easy. I often do it by choice. I would have taken a bus down 7th to L'Enfant Plaza, but they were all packed.

Of course it was nice just to be ABLE to walk to work (~20min - OK, not Olympic speedwalker time, but hey, it was humid, and it was hard to cross the streets with all those streetlights out!) and not have to deal with all the drama of Metro/traffic!

Posted by: PQ | June 26, 2006 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Heading into this evening commute (w/heavy rain, dusk/darkness, returning floodwaters), I feel we are heading into a very dangerous situation. Why don't the local authorities view this like they view a "snowstorm" and start shutting down the fed govt., etc.?

Yes, the Post's traffic messages need more human oversight. In my opinion, they are only about 50% accurate, which doesn't mean I don't look at them. It just means I can't really trust them.

Posted by: Arrrlington | June 26, 2006 4:32 PM | Report abuse

My stop is Farragut West, but I exited at Foggy Bottom and walked the rest of the way. Humidity didn't bother me (am used to it). A pleasant walk, and much better than sitting on a stop-and-go train. But some people may not have had that opportunity. Good luck in the p.m. rush!

Posted by: CB | June 26, 2006 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I too walked to work. After waiting for the blue line car to arrive and continue moving, I ended up walking to work from Arlington Cemetary to Farragut West. Not a bad walk but the humidity was a killer. Good thing we have a shower in the building!

Posted by: cbaldwin | June 26, 2006 4:44 PM | Report abuse

How is the GW Parkway south of Old Town in these sorts of situations? I have to be at Fort Belvoir tomorrow morning and the Parkway is the most direct way for me to go, coming from Old Town.

Posted by: Alexandria | June 26, 2006 4:44 PM | Report abuse

While I appreciate people's concerns about traffic for the morning and afternoon commutes today, I am dismayed at the lack of accurate information regarding the hundreds of people who spent the night in their cars on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge last night. We regularly listened to traffic reports on WTOP after leaving the National Theatre last night. We were very current on the number of power outages throughout the area, but this information seemed to come at the expene of traffic information with enough detail to help us make immediate decisions. We were diverted from 295 south by DC police around 11:30pm, but never heard a report (before or in the several hours afterwards) that it had been closed at that time. When we returned to 295 later for lack of better options, the road was clear. We drove to 495 only to learn that the beltway was now closed in both directions. We listened to regular reports that Route 1 was an alternate route for southbound travelers, yet we sat on the bridge, unmoving, for three hours. Later radio reports stated that we were being diverted to route 1, but was never the case, at least prior to 4:30am. We moved off the bridge by around 4:30am and blindly exited onto route 1 without any direction, leaving the majority of traffic behind. No police directed anyone off of the bridge or onto Route 1, and no one was reporting whether or not route 1 or the surrounding area was actually safe. We realize that police efforts were concentrated on aiding our neighbors with more dire concerns, but minimal attention by authorities would have helped some very weary travelers who spent the night in their cars on the WW bridge.

Posted by: Megan M., Burke | June 26, 2006 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Although I never cease to be amazed at the local government, federal government, and Metro's idiocy, this really takes the cake.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2006 10:09 PM | Report abuse