Stay Away from the Wilson Bridge -- Again

Today is the beginning of another weekend to stay away from the Wilson Bridge. The workers over there are closing both sides of the Beltway on the Maryland shore so they can lift giant, steel beams over the highway. The beams will form the supports of a new interchange for Maryland Route 210.

The work begins at 9 tonight and runs until 8 Saturday morning and again Saturday night until 8 Sunday morning, so if you're off to the beach make sure to get through the area before 9. Be careful, though. The first time they did this, they ran long, so I'd give them a little extra time on either end. If you do have to go through the area, you'll be taken on a detour that could delay you as much as a half hour. You can check camera views of the area on our traffic page.

Speaking of the beach, that's where I'm headed tomorrow morning and for all of next week. My editor, Bottleneck Bob Thomson, will pinch hit as news warrants. I'll look forward to catching up with y'all again on June 26.

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 16, 2006; 10:54 AM ET
Categories:  Wilson Bridge
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rating the Commute
Next: Metro's Growing Popularity

Comments

You might add--the closure will happen before the end of the Nationals game tonight, so if you go home that way, find a different route.

Posted by: Rich | June 16, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Not to hijack this thread, but on a Metro note, I just got a series of Metro eAlerts saying that there is a (now 20-min) delay on the Orange Line due to "Person struck by train." I don't see any further details on wmata.com, WaPo or WTOP. I wonder what happened - yet ANOTHER person hit by a Metro train, and so soon??

Posted by: Orange Line | June 16, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Just FYI, here's the update from wmata.com:

"Woman hit and killed by Orange Line train

A woman was hit and killed by an outbound six-car Orange Line train just after noon at the East Falls Church station.

Eyewitnesses report the woman intentionally stepped onto the tracks in front of a train headed toward Vienna.

Orange Line trains are sharing one track around the scene while police and emergency personnel investigate the incident. Trains are being single tracked between West Falls Church and Ballston. Shuttle bus service has been set up from East Falls Church to West Falls Church stations and from West Falls Church to Ballston stations.

Normal service is expected to resume in time for the afternoon rush hour."

Be safe, fellow commuters.

Posted by: Orange Line | June 16, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I looked quickly at the Wilson Bridge Project webpage and it says "Nighttime Closures of I-95 Near DC's Wilson Bridge Continue This Weekend." I thought it said "Nightmare Closures of I-95....."

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2006 4:06 PM | Report abuse

not to, er, get this thread back on track...but, anyone else notice that the new bridge is at most halfway complete?

they have to put a *lot* of beams up on the inside loop.

Posted by: cc | June 16, 2006 4:47 PM | Report abuse

cc, that's the whole point--they are building two new bridges, but they have to tear the old one down before building the second new one because the old bridge is in the way of the two ends of the new Inner Loop bridge, especially on the Virginia end. Go to http://www.roadstothefuture.com and find the article on the Wilson Bridge, then look at the pictures, and you'll see what I mean. The Inner Loop traffic is to move to the first new bridge next month, then the old bridge will be put out of its misery, and then the second new bridge will go up, due to open in 2008 (no doubt before the new ballpark!)

Posted by: Rich | June 17, 2006 12:49 PM | Report abuse