Transit Advisory for Immigration Rally

Metro is tailoring this afternoon's service to accommodate the immigrant rights advocates participating in a 4 p.m. rally on the Mall as well as commuters.

Rush hour service will begin an hour early, at 2 p.m. and continue as needed according to ridership demands, the transit authority says. The peak fares will be in effect for the usual period of 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. All trains will be six cars. Metro staffers will be available to provide information at the high-volume stations and parking facilities.

To limit the backups that occur at the fare machines during such events, Metro staffers will be out selling fare cards at some of the end of the line stations and also at the stations near the Mall after the rally ends.

The parking facilities probably will be crowded at odd times today because of the rally.

Metro suggests that riders avoid taking routes that involve transfers at the downtown stations during the mid to late afternoon since those stations are likely to be more crowded than usual. (The Nationals are out of town, so that's a bit of a break for evening riders.)

Is Metro getting better at handling unusual events? Last time I was riding around during a service disruption on the Red Line, I thought that there were a lot more Metro staffers on the platforms to offer assistance and that the announcements were a lot clearer and more informative. Also, I liked the fact that they were in both English and Spanish.

Here's a link to some information on our Web site about street closings. And here's a map showing the locations of the march and rally.

There are these advisories for traffic:
-- Wisconsin Avenue northbound between Massachusetts Avenue and Woodley Road is closed beginning at 4 p.m.for up to five hours because of the former Iranian president's appearance at National Cathedral.

-- Connecticut Avenue southbound between Macomb Street and Ordway Street is closed till 11 p.m. for a movie premiere. Traffic shares the northbound lanes. There also are parking restrictions in the area.

By Robert Thomson  |  September 7, 2006; 5:30 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Help Plan a Long Commute
Next: Football at FedEx Monday Night

Comments

Ugh, why can't they have these things on the weekend? I doubt their goal is to turn communters away from their cause but that's what they're doing.

Posted by: Orange Line Rider | September 7, 2006 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Any news on street closings?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2006 9:52 AM | Report abuse

It's not bad enough that these people think they deserve rights even though they don't. Now they muck up my commute AND I have to listen to announcements in Spanish? This is America...speak english and stop wasting my time.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2006 11:11 AM | Report abuse

In response to the question above on street closings, I just went back into the blog item and added links to information on closings and to a Post map showing the march and rally locations.

Posted by: Dr. Gridlock | September 7, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

What, no comments on the closing of the beltway in both directions this morning? That incident along with the kabillion wrecks on what seemed like all the major roads must have made for some horrible commutes this morning? Anyone have a tough ride in today?

My ride was normal as usual (10 mins on the bus, 10 mins on the metro)

Posted by: Laura | September 7, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Washington DC | September 7, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"To reply to post above about "..speak english and stop wasting my time." I am sure the Bostan Tea party mucked up someone's commute and please do check what language your gardener, house keeper and the person who cleans your office speaks. Give them a chance and stop being selfish."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2006 2:36 PM | Report abuse

In response to the person asking why no article was posted about the police standoff that closed the beltway in both directions for the 8am hour:

My commute normally takes 1:15. Today it took 2:05. I drive from near Columbia to Greenbelt Metro on the B/W and then take Metro from Greenbelt to Metro Center. The incident was right next to Greenbelt Metro, with some police using the Cherrywood Road entrance as a recon point and backup point.

They mostly care about the self-important people who sit in their self-important cars.

Posted by: J-Red | September 7, 2006 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"As to why the Post has barely reported on it? It's in P.G. County silly. The Post, WTOP, etc., do not care about anything that happens traffic-wise in P.G. County. I'm not saying it's a racial thing.....ok, yes I am."

How true. It doesn't surprise me that they were using Cherrywood as a staging point. There is a Maryland State Police station not far away in Greenbelt and the courthouse is right around there as well.

I was wondering how people were going to get to Greenbelt metro while watching the standoff on the news this morning. I used to live right by there, and one reason that station (usually) works so well is the traffic pattern accessing the station from the beltway (in my opinion at least).

Sorry to hear your commute sucked so much. Hopefully your boss was understanding.

Posted by: Laura | September 7, 2006 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Katie Shaver, The Post reporter who is working on the story about the incident at Greenbelt this morning, would appreciate hearing from anyone who got stuck in that mess. If you send her an e-mail at shaverk@washpost.com and include your name and phone number, she'll call you back right away.

Posted by: Dr. Gridlock | September 7, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"Where exactly is Bostan? Did you mean Boston? Believe the tea party was in the middle of the night, so it didn't cause any major horse and carriage backups. Either way, most of these people are illegals and should be deported."

Sure, deport them but only after they have cleaned your house, cut your grass and picked trash for $peanuts/hr. grow up.

Posted by: Washington DC | September 7, 2006 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Dr. Gridlock, or somebody with knowledge, will eventually advise and explain why all bus service at the Pentagon Transit Center has been suspended? It certainly would have created enough confusion had the riders been forewarned.

Posted by: Jack | September 7, 2006 6:02 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the entry on the Pentagon bus center closing? Last night was very frustrating, since from the time I got into Metro center until I got to the Pentagon, not one announcement was made, there were no signs anywhere and I exited at Pentagon without any metro presence warning that there was no bus service and I'd have to pay to get back on the line and go to Pentagon City. I understand they can't make constant annoucnments at the stations and can't have signs cluttering all the platforms, but I was on a blue line train on the way to the Pentagon -- shouldn't there have been annoucements there?

Posted by: Annie | September 8, 2006 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like only about 5,000 showed up for the "huge" immigration rally - movement seams to be losing a lot of steam already, not that I am surprised.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2006 10:32 AM | Report abuse

What happened at the Pentagon to suspend bus service? I heard annoucements about it around 5:45 over the PA (at the Bethesda metro station). Perhaps the train operator didn't know of the situation yet, but the operators really should make an annoucement about that kind of thing as you are approaching the station so you can plan accordingly.

Posted by: Laura | September 8, 2006 11:24 AM | Report abuse

They knew about it. The metro officers at the Pentagon assured me that the situation had been ongoing when I arrived there at 6 or so, and the two police officers on my car knew about it as well (but assured us it had reopened by then). We may have missed the opening back up by a few minutes, but it certainly wasn't open before 6, no matter what metro officials told press.
According to the post, a suspicious SUV with "items of interest" was the cause of the problem; the driver is still in custody (or was as of press).

Posted by: Annie | September 8, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Metro sent out an eAlert at 5:14 PM last night saying that bus service was suspended (and moved to Pentagon City) due to a police situation. (NBC4 had a short blurb about a suspicious package.) The eAlert clearing the disruption was sent out at 6:03 PM. Given that, there's no reason why announcements couldn't have been made clearly, if nothing else by the train operator ("this is the Pentagon, doors will open on the left. Due to a police situation, bus service has been moved to Pentagon City. Repeat..." Isn't that why they have live voices instead of a recording?)

Posted by: Chris | September 8, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

hey you suck go to.............. i would say some many bad thing but i am i scool do die

Posted by: dead | October 3, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse