No Such Luck

Lisa Farbstein, Metro's spokeswoman, called to say that if you see an official looking sign at a bus shelter telling you that you can get a free ride if you're bus is late, it's a hoax.

Your bus may be late, but you won't get a free ride out of it.

The fake signs, which she says are 8-1/2 by 11 inches and have an official looking Metro "M" on them, say that if your bus is late, call Metro's customer service number about it, and in exchange, you'll get a pass for a free ride.
She doesn't know how many such signs are out there, and suspected it might be a Halloween prank. She wanted to alert riders so they don't get there hopes up about this.

By Robert Thomson  |  October 26, 2006; 9:22 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Name That Smell
Next: Metro Hours This Weekend

Comments

"... you can get a free ride if you're bus is late, it's a hoax."

YOUR bus is late ...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2006 9:52 AM | Report abuse

This sounds more like a great way to encourage people to call and complain about late busses. They might end up being upset about no free ride, but by that point the point is made -- a call has been logged by customer service about a late bus. "Something for nothing" is a pretty good motivator for those who otherwise wouldn't bother to call and complain.

Posted by: Travis | October 26, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"She wanted to alert riders so they don't get there hopes up about this."

She wanted to alert riders so they don't get *their* hopes up about this.

Posted by: Woddbridge | October 26, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Grammar nazis--stay home.

Posted by: IggyPop | October 26, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

grammar nazis need not apply

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Grammar Afficionados WELCOME.

If we can't depend on the press to use our language correctly, we're doomed.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2006 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Afficionados is snob language for jerk; two people agreed that the term grammar nazis was appropriate at the exact same time. Case closed!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2006 1:09 PM | Report abuse

You have to be kidding to think that pointing out the incorrect use of two third grade words is Grammar Nazi behavior.

This blog reads like an elementary school paper.

If you don't want professionalism, read the Washington Times.

Posted by: Grammar Nazi | October 26, 2006 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Ever go back and re-read any emails you have sent from your home or office? I'll bet you cringed when you saw the occasional typo or seemingly misspelled word. I'll bet you actually know how to spell the words in question. Or to use them properly. I don't expect much from blog entries in terms of typos, spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. I don't equate them with a carefully proofread, copy and line edited published piece in a hard copy newspaper. I successfully earn my living partly by writing but you would be amazed at the awful mistakes that occur in some of my emails. The mistakes are not due to poor grammar. They occur because of inattention and failure to read what I wrote before I hit send. Sometimes I can tell that I misused a word because my mind was a few beats ahead of or behind the speed of my fingers as I typed. Maybe that is all we're seeing here. My two cents worth.

Posted by: Kinda like email | October 26, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

It's published on the Washington Post web site. Say what you will about those who point out grammar mistakes, but I am shocked the Post allows things like this to show up. Why they don't copy edit the blog posts is beyond me...

Posted by: ElSapo | October 26, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the Post pays a lot of attention to blog posts. Look at how long the "I-270 is Closed" posting stayed up on this blog, without anyone posting a response to the readers who asked where Dr. G and Steve were. In terms of resources, the Post's management probably thinks its copy editors are best used for checking over web and hard copy articles, not blog entries. I have to say the lack of copy editing in a blog doesn't bother me. I've seen too many blog entries all over the web to expect a high standard from them. I've even seen professors make mistakes, apparently just through inattention. But if you view a blog as representative of a newspaper, I can see why you would be bothered.

Posted by: Longtime Metro Rider | October 26, 2006 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"I don't expect much from blog entries in terms of typos, spelling errors and grammatical mistakes."

Hmmm ... I *do* expect at least proper spelling on a blog written by a staff reporter at a major daily newspaper. I hold Dr. Gridlock to a higher standard than I do some random bozo with a Blogspot or MySpace page.

"They occur because of inattention and failure to read what I wrote before I hit send."

Yes, but I would expect this professional writer to read over his work at least a couple of times before hitting the 'publish' button.

If I were his boss I would *certainly* expect it.

Lowering standards in the online medium is not the way that the WP is going to solve its circulation problem.

Posted by: upholding standards | October 26, 2006 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Again, it doesn't bother me that much. But I'm willing to concede the point to those who are bothered by it.

Different things can push a person's buttons. I'm the one who wrote about my terminally ill sister riding Metro to go to the medical center to get chemo treatments. No surprise then that I study carefully what people post on the blog and spend some time thinking about who my fellow DC area commuters are. And what makes them the way they are. I think I'm so focused on content that my mind glosses over some of the spelling and grammatical problems. The same is true of the newspaper. When I think about it, I focus on what its column space is used for. I guess this is a long way of saying, pardon me if I lack the perspective to judge properly the lack of copy editing in a blog. (Let's just say my radar is faulty, LOL.) I leave that to those of you better equipped to rate such matters. I've read some academic blogs and blogs linked to some other publications, but have never looked at MySpace. I've seen a couple of Blogspot entries over the years.

Posted by: Longtime Metro Rider | October 26, 2006 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm less concerned that the Post doesn't run blog posts past copy editors and more concerned that, four days later after the initial post went up, no one has read the comments and corrected the errors. On other Post blogs, someone at least seems to be looking back at the comments.

I'm also disappointed that this particular blog has become *dull*. Transportation is a fascinating topic, and when the blog first started, we got some pretty interesting conversations going. Now? The original posts are so dull, the only thing we get chatting about is *grammar*.

Posted by: h3 | October 30, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

yeah well, grammar people: you're way more dull than this topic.

the signs are fantastic. i'm glad somebody went out and did that. people have learned to just resign themselves instead of trying to change things.

Posted by: jt | November 1, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused, was this about a bus sign, or grammar?

Posted by: Schmammar | November 3, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Mmm...a little of both.

Posted by: h3 | November 3, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Hello dudes! Christmas Clipart Christmas Tree Shop Christmas Gift Christmas Cards Christmas LightsChristmas Decorations Christmas Songs Christmas Ornaments!

Posted by: Kidney | November 23, 2006 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kidney | November 23, 2006 10:02 AM | Report abuse

wow. col site. christmas gift, christmas!!!

Posted by: gift | November 26, 2006 5:08 AM | Report abuse

wow. col site. christmas gift, christmas!!!

Posted by: gift | November 26, 2006 5:09 AM | Report abuse

wow. col site. christmas gift, christmas!!!

Posted by: gift | November 26, 2006 5:10 AM | Report abuse

wow. col site christmas gift

Posted by: dog | November 27, 2006 11:38 PM | Report abuse