Pedestrian Killed in Prince George's County

An adult male was killed around 6 a.m. this morning on Route 4, Pennsylvania Ave. at Walters Lane. The accident appears to be a hit and run, according to Cpl. Debbi Carlson, a Prince George's police spokeswoman. A reconstruction crew is on the scene and the outbound lanes remain blocked.

By  |  October 12, 2006; 6:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic, Traffic Everywhere
Next: Who's To Blame?

Comments

I actually drove by this scene this morning. And it was breath taking to say the least. To see an actual body laying there covered in the sheet (and you could see the blood stains) really gave me a reality check. Count your blessings and thank GOD everyday for keeping you. It could've easily been me or anybody I know for that matter.

Posted by: Sad Indeed | October 12, 2006 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I know nothing about this scene, but in my area of Prince George's pedestrians get zero consideration. They need a stop light at the pedestrian crosswalk mid-block bus stop on University Blvd near New Hampshire. No one stops, and people are anxious to cross to catch their bus.

The cross walk on the hiker/biker trail that crosses Queens Chapel is worthless.

On the other hand, in College Park some student is going to get killed. Jay walking mid block at night w/ dark clothes--tough to see there, but students don't seem to care.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2006 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know if the person have been identified yet? or at least around about what age?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2006 2:47 PM | Report abuse

It is very tragic when a pedestrian is hit by an automobile because the event changes his or her life forever. However, it is a real tragedy to be hit and the driver leaves the scene of the accident. It is time to adopt a zero tolerance attitude as well as enforce the current safe driving laws within the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia, particularly, those laws that affect pedestrians.

Posted by: Cheryle | October 12, 2006 5:36 PM | Report abuse

That pedestrian was hit just south of Walters Lane. The crosswalk at the light is actually more dangerous than people running across the street farther down (like what this person apparently did, I drive by there around 6:30am as well). Right-turning cars at the intersection fail to see or care about pedestrians, especially if it is dark outside.

Posted by: From Laurel | October 12, 2006 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I, too, drove by the scene this morning and it was sad to see. Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more frequently, though, considering how quickly traffic moves along and how many jaywalkers I see casually waltzing their way across the road.

Posted by: Crosswalker | October 12, 2006 10:54 PM | Report abuse

this situation is so breath taken. I knew the pedestrian that was killed. We work at Andrews Air Force Base together. He was so inicent, never bothering a soul. We should always remember to cherish the ones we love because tommorrow is definetly not promised to any of us.

Posted by: Shonda | October 13, 2006 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I knew the person that was struck at this intersection. He's like a brother to me. His sister and I have been best friends for over 12 years. It's tragic that no-one will come foward that seen this accident. His family needs closure. I beg everyone, anyone who seen this to please give whatever information that they can to help solve this. This young man did not deserve to die like this. Just imagine if it was your brother or son.

To my family....I will keep you in my prayers and do whatever I can to help you cope. Love, Angie R. (1028)

Posted by: A Sister / Angie R. | October 13, 2006 8:58 AM | Report abuse

TO THE CHAMBERS FAMILY MY HEART FELT SYMPATHY, AND TO THE PERSON WHO DID THIS, MAY GOD HAVE MURCY ON YOU! TYRONE CHAMBERS JR., AND HIS FAMILY DID NOT DESERVE THIS. ALL IT CAUSED YOU WAS NONTHING IT CAUSED TYRONE HIS LIFE.

Posted by: CJ | October 13, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse