Advisories on Weekend Travel Delays

Saturday has been a difficult day to get around in Washington, D.C. Many streets have been closed for the National Marathon, which began at 7 a.m. Saturday, and they won't be reopened until 2 p.m. You can see a map of the route here.

Update: Post staff writer Amit Paley is working on a story for Sunday's paper about the disruptive effects of the marathon on travelers. Please tell him what you experienced. You can reach him either by calling the City Desk at 202-334-7300 or by sending an e-mail to paleya@washpost.com.

A traffic alert from the District Department of Transportation says only five streets are open to allow you in and out of the marathon zone during this time period:

-- E Street Expressway (over the Roosevelt Bridge)
-- K Street, NW (east and west through Georgetown)
-- Massachusetts Avenue NW (over Rock Creek Parkway)
-- Rhode Island Avenue NW (across North Capitol Street)
-- New York Avenue NW (across North Capitol Street)

This was to have been one of the weekends for work on the Douglass Bridge, which takes South Capitol Street traffic over the Anacostia River, but those lane closures have been postponed till next weekend because of the marathon.

Metrorail opened at 6 a.m., an hour early, to accommodate people traveling to the marathon. (The District agreed to pay the $21,000 operating cost for the extra hour, Metro says.) Metrobus routes 96, 97, B2, D6 and E32 stop near the Stadium-Armory Station, closest to the start and finish.

Also because of the marathon, 37 Metrobus routes in the District were redirected on Saturday. These are the routes affected: 5A, 13A, 13B, 13F, 13G, 32, 34, 35, 36, 40, 52, 54, 66, 70, 80, 90, 92, 96, 98, A42, A46, A48, B2, D6, D8, H2, H4, K11, L2, M6, P6, S2, S4, U6, V8, X2 and X8.

Metro suggests that to watch the event, ride the subway to one of these stations: Stadium-Armory, Archives-Navy Memorial-Penn Quarter, Federal Triangle, Smithsonian, Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan, and Union Station.

You can see the full details of the Metro service plan here.

Meanwhile, track maintenance and rail car testing on the Red, Yellow and Green lines Friday night through Sunday will create delays on those Metrorail lines as trains take turns sharing one track. You can see the full details here.

But that's not all: Wisconsin Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction on Saturday around the Mazza Gallerie because of some construction work. You can find some more details here.

On Canal Road: From 7 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Monday, only one outbound lane will be open near the Georgetown University entrance so that a new concrete road base can be installed. This is a quick-setting concrete that allows the closed lane to be reopened to traffic less than 48 hours after the work. You can read more details about that project here.

If you're driving to and from downtown Washington from the south, watch out for overnight lane closures along the Anacostia Freeway.

The Wilson Bridge project also will be doing some overnight work this weekend. These are the highlights:
-- From 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday, the two left lanes and then the right lane will be closed along the Capital Beltway inner loop between the bridge and Route 1.

-- From 9 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Sunday, the ramp from the inner loop to Route 1 southbound will be closed. Detour from the inner loop to Telegraph Road southbound to the outer loop to Route 1 southbound.

By Robert Thomson  |  March 23, 2007; 9:33 AM ET
Categories:  Weekend Work
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Expect Severe Overcrowding at Union Station
Next: Kaine Signs Traffic Safety Bills

Comments

If I live along the I-95 corridor in Maryland and I need to be in a non-Metro accessible region of downtown tomorrow, should I just shoot myself now?

Posted by: Jason (Jessup, MD) | March 23, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

From Maryland, use Rhode Island Ave. It has a bridge over North Capitol. Traffic will probably be a mess, but it is doable.

Posted by: Laszlo in DC | March 23, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

the mess because of the marathon is ridiculous! you can't drive anywhere in nw, it is complete gridlock.

Posted by: pat | March 24, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

My son had a class to get to, not metro accessible, on 17th st NW. He missed the class. My car ran out of gas while waiting in 30 minutes of traffic. We caught a cab home. I called a friend of his who also signed up for the class, they turned back when they were on 16th st long after the class started. This afternoon I will be submitting a bill to the marathon people for the missed class and the taxi cab. The amount of the lane closures blocking ALL of Northwest DC from North Cap to Rock Creek was inexcusable.

Posted by: Washington, DC | March 24, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"i don't understand why the city didn't do more to notify people that this would be going on."
-they did but you didn't pay attention

"I will be submitting a bill to the marathon people for the missed class and the taxi cab."
-good luck. let us know how that turns out.

Posted by: Muwah | March 24, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I just got home (11:25) from driving in this heinous mess. I left my house at Connecticut and Davenport st. at 10 a.m. to do an errand on 18th street. Every time a street was blocked off and I took a different route, I'd encounter another blocked off street. After an hour of this, I decided to go back home. I turned left on 16th st and went all the way north and around to get way back to Connecticut again, without ever having done the errand.

Luckily, I had a full tank of gas or I would have run out of gas like the woman and her son. This is an inexcusable lack of planning. I will be writing to the marathon people and the dc parties responsible for this as well. I work hard all week, my weekend time is important to me and I just wasted 1.5 hours because of this inexcusable lack of a good traffic plan.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It took me 1.75 hours to get downtown from Chevy Chase, DC -- a trip that normally takes 20 minutes on a Saturday. I had to abandon my car and hike to a Metro station. The traffic gridlock was inexcusable. No event is worth that kind of inconvenience.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

From Dr. Gridlock: Post staff writer Amit Paley is working on a story for Sunday's paper about the impact of the marathon on travelers. Please tell him what you experienced. You can reach him either by calling the City Desk at 202-334-7300, or by sending an e-mail to paleya@washpost.com. Thanks for your help.

Posted by: Robert Thomson | March 24, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I did know about the Marathon. But I guess I was one of those folks "not paying attention" enough, because I spent two hours in absolutely gridlocked traffic before finally making it back home (Petworth) without getting a darn thing done this morning. Was this the least disruptive traffic plan the police could have come up with? Somehow, I doubt it. It was insane out there.

Posted by: casamuels | March 24, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

all the bridges out of southeast were closed. i had to pick up my child from a sleepover in nw and get her to a swim meet in laurel by 10am. i left home at 9am. i had to take the wilson bridge to get out of southeast. what if i needed to get to a "real" hospital?

Posted by: debicar | March 24, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

"I had to abandon my car and hike to a Metro station"

Maybe next time you will just use the metro in the first place. From what it sounds like, there was an extreme number of road closures without proper detours in place to move traffic around, but honestly, how many of you even considered trying to take metro instead of driving? Would have been much less of a headache. I took metro without any problems on saturday midday, and only had a 6 minute wait (none of this 20 minute wait). Also you can prevent 20 minute waits by using trip planner on the metro website and figuring out when a metro train will arrive. Sure it's not always exactly perfect, but accurate within 5 minutes.

Posted by: Laura | March 27, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse