Free Rides on Green Line This Afternoon

Metro is taking the highly unusual step of offering free rides this afternoon to its Green Line riders, following the extensive delays caused by this morning's power problems. (See story on our Web site.)

"Green Line riders will receive free rides this afternoon from 3:30 to 7 p.m. to help make up for the poor service this morning," Metro General Manager John Catoe said in a statement.

Green Line service was disrupted from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. because of power problems near Fort Totten. Four trains had to be taken out of service. A separate power problem knocked out a train between Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom during the morning rush.

Power has been restored and full service should be available on all lines.

"We apologize for this morning's delays," Catoe said in the statement. "Many Metro employees experienced the same delays on their way to work this morning and I heard from customers on my commute. They told me to get it
fixed and we did."

By Robert Thomson  |  June 19, 2007; 4:01 PM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Your Traveling Week
Next: Metro's New Boss Faces Challenges

Comments

That's the least Metro could do after the inconvenience.

When I lived in New York, all transit - Subways, buses, and commuter rail were half-price on holidays. Maybe Metro could do the same thing. Sort of giving back.

Posted by: CEEAF | June 19, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I want my money back.

I could not go home before 7:00 PM because of my delay in the morning. I want my money back.

Posted by: JB | June 19, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nashpaul | June 19, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

"Can someone explain why Metro has to explicitly invoke not charging people for exiting the same station they just entered? Why is this not standard practice every day?"

In a word...money.

Posted by: cb | June 20, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone trust this last night? Sure, you could walk on out, but if you swiped your card, you got your fare deducted. What was supposed to happen in the morning if you did just walk out? Knowing Metro, I'd have been paying then for not swiping my card when I exited.

Posted by: MB | June 20, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse