Best Changes in Commuting

The big study published last week by the Texas Transportation Institute with its top 10 lists of sorriest commuters in the nation is fine for focusing attention on problems that must be solved. But it's not as good at gauging how you should feel about your own commute.

Statistics big enough to cover urban areas nationwide can mask the breakthrough at a bottleneck or the flop in a construction plan that made the biggest difference to you.

I asked some of our transportation agencies to name some of the changes they made over the summer. Many of you are getting your first real feel for those changes now that we've returned to the high season for commuting.

I need your help in evaluating the changes, now that they've become part of your commute. Here's a list of some changes nominated by the agencies, by some of you and by me. I'd like to feature some of them on our Sunday commuter page in The Post Metro section, along with your assessments. You're always welcome to comment here on the blog, but I'd also appreciate it if some of you would write to me at drgridlock@washpost.com, and let me know your name, home community and a contact phone number, because I'd like to use your observations in the paper.

TRANSIT
-- By the end of this month, Metro's Blue and Yellow Line riders shouldn't be seeing any more four-car trains during the rush periods. They'll all be sixes, thanks to the addition of new 6000 series cars to the Metrorail fleet.

-- The transit authority modified the schedules of many Metrobus routes in June. In some cases it cut service on what it said were underperforming lines, but in other cases it added buses or at least made the schedules more realistic. Enhancements included extra service on the 16th Street Line, notorious for bus bunching and long lines at the stops during rush periods.

-- The new entrance on the west side of Silver Spring Station eased access for many commuters.

-- Montgomery County's Ride On now takes SmarTrip cards. And the county created Ride On Route 21 to replace Metro bus service that was discontinued and provide bus service to some areas of eastern Montgomery that had no public transportation.

-- Fairfax Connector: Passengers can now use SmarTrip.

-- ART: Arlington added new buses.

-- The City of Fairfax retrofit four diesel buses to improve fuel economy and cut emissions.

-- Three MTA commuter bus routes in Southern Maryland got additional service. And a new Commuter Bus Park & Ride opened in LaPlata.

MARYLAND ROADS
-- The work staging area that restricted the George Washington Parkway merge lane was removed as the American Legion Bridge paint job proceeded faster than scheduled. (The Maryland State Highway Administration is in charge of the work on the Potomac River span.)

-- Completion of the four-lane, 3.2 mile Hughesville Bypass broke a long-time traffic bottleneck on Route 5 in the heart of the community.

-- The latest interchange on Maryland's heavily traveled Route 29 was completed at Briggs Chaney Road, easing congestion for commuters.

-- The length paving job along I-270 in Montgomery County was completed ahead of schedule.

-- Repairs to the Grosvenor Lane Bridge advanced far enough last weekend to allow reopening of lanes spanning I-270 in North Bethesda. (That one was a few weeks behind schedule.)

-- Rebuilt ramps from the Capital Beltway, with new traffic signals, opened at Georgia Avenue and University Boulevard. (Commuters debate whether these improved traffic flow, particularly at Georgia Avenue.)

-- Montgomery County redesigned the upper reaches of Connecticut Avenue between Bel Pre Road and Grand Pre Road to improve safety by restricting traffic flow in an area with many pedestrians.

DISTRICT ROADS
-- The Frederick Douglass Bridge was closed, refurbished and reopened within its two-month summer schedule without as much disruption as I feared. Drivers on I-295 had a particularly bad time in July and August, but I had anticipated that commuter bus passengers and Green Line riders would have a lot more bad days than they actually reported.

-- The streetscape project along Florida Avenue NW is almost done. This gives walkers and drivers a new roadway, new brick sidewalks, new bus pads, new curbs, and new street lamps.

-- Park Road NW was rebuilt from the bridge over Piney Branch Parkway to Beach Drive. Construction was completed ahead of schedule following a two-month closure of the road.

[Two in the District are now quite done but almost: The Canal Road widening near Georgetown University should ease that heavy traffic flow on completion next month. The paving job looks good. Meanwhile, the rehab of the Klingle Bridge on Connecticut Avenue is ahead of schedule.]

VIRGINIA ROADS
-- The lengthy Springfield Interchange reconstruction, one of the largest and most complex transportation projects in the country, was wrapped up.

-- Linton Hall Road, formerly two lanes, is now three lanes in each direction from Route 29 to Devlin Road and two lanes in each direction from Devlin Road to Glenkirk Road.

-- The bridge replacement project was completed at Route 50/Washington Boulevard.

-- There have been several improvements along Route 28 to ease congestion and improve safety. And while the interchange rebuilding is not complete, some commuters already appreciate the fact that the traffic signal is gone at Innovation Avenue.

-- Signs were changed at the Dulles Connector Road's ramp to I-66 eastbound to better guide traffic. Signs now read "THRU TRAFF USE 2 LEFT LANES."

-- Turn lanes were added for safety north of Leesburg along Route 15 at Limestone School Road, Montresor Road and New Valley Church Road.

What do you think of those, and did I leave anything out?

By Robert Thomson  |  September 25, 2007; 5:49 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heavy Traffic in Rosslyn and Georgetown
Next: Highlights of Summer Road Work

Comments

I-295 (especially southbound) seems to be running a lot smoother with the extra lanes added nearly the Beltway.

Posted by: Andrew | September 25, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The improvement along Rte. 28 regarding the removed traffic light at Innovation is offset by the fact that the new left exit for Waxpool when heading North on Rte. 28 has a left-exit lane that is WAY too short, leading to half-mile backups of stalled cars in the left lane of Rte. 28 in the evenings just to get to the exit lane. Waxpool having 36 traffic lights in its first half mile from 28 certainly leads to this. Accidents happen almost daily as cars try to enter the middle lane from the stalled left lane, and get rammed at 55mph+, or middle-lane drivers have to slam on the brakes to avoid these idiots. Brilliant planning again, VDOT, dump a big merge directly into a traffic light with no space for the cars off 28 to exit into. SOP for VDOT, FUBAR planning as usual.

Posted by: Ashburn Commuter | September 25, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

ART, CUE, DASH, and Loudoun County Transit bus systems in Northern Virginia are ALL accepting SmarTrip for payment - not just Fairfax Connector!

Posted by: Transit Guy | September 25, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I have to second Ashburn commuter's thoughts. The "new" interchange at Route 28 and Waxpool Rd. was out of date the day it opened! Why on earth was the left-exit ramp from northbound 28 to westbound Waxpool constructed as only one (very short!) lane? This left exit is the culprit for delays (particularly in the left lanes) north on 28 from the Toll Rd to Waxpool every afternoon. It be a tight squeeze but VDOT *could* expand the one lane ramp to two lanes if the shoulders were eliminated. Ultimately, the configuration of lanes north on 28 before Waxpool should also be changed as to allow two lanes of 28 free access to the Waxpool ramp. (Yes, there is a right exit a 1/4 mile north for westbound Waxpool but NO ONE uses that exit; its less direct and involves negotiating a tight cloverleaf as opposed to a high speed flyover ramp.)

Contrary to the afternoon rush traffic in this area, the morning rush coming in on Waxpool to go south on 28 runs well because of the long, wide and clearly marked acceleration lanes (there are TWO of them!) coming from eastbound Waxpool to 28 South.

The biggest bottleneck on 28 now is the signal by the Dulles Expo Center at WIllard Rd.

Posted by: Sterling resident | September 25, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Dr G, I was hoping it wasn't so. The Springfield interchange is indeed a transportation engineeing marvel in many respects, but the signage approaching the interchange is another VDOT debacle. It is VERY difficult for out of state drivers to tell which arrows (on the green overhead signs) match-up with which lanes particularly when you're traveling at a high rate of speed. As usual, the signage is NOT up to par. (Take the lane divide on I-270 South in Maryland as an example of the signage VDOT should have put in Springfield. Its very clear to which lanes exit to the inner loop vs. the outer loop. The signage is Springfield could be improved greatly.

(As another aside, what is with VDOT's ineptitude of using the circular secondary road shield behind route numbers instead of the state route shield? How pathetic. There are number incorrect shields along the Dulles Toll Rd (State Route 267, not county secondary route 267) and now they've got a new sign for the exit for Route 123 McLean that also has the incorrect circular shield.

Posted by: Springfield Interchange is done? | September 25, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

is having the blue line trains run 10 minutes apart during rush hour part of how they're going to get them up to six cars?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

What's going on on *DC*-295? Last week there were signs warning that a new traffic pattern was imminent on or about 9/22; we thought that might mean the jersey barriers would finally go away, but no, over the weekend they just moved them over, so now there are only two northbound lanes between Pennsylvania Ave and US-50 (and one of them has a crane in it) -- any idea as to what on earth this is and how long it's going to last?

Posted by: walk left, stand right | September 25, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

This is a 2006 construction improvement (not a 2007 one) but the two-lane ramp from SB 495 to 267 West is a BIG improvement for Beltway traffic coming south from MD. Delays morning and night headed into Tysons use to focus on the Toll Rd exit; this two-lane exit ramp has done wonders for beltway traffic. .

Now if only the same thing could be said about the ramps for eastbound Toll Rd traffic headed north on 495 (the opposite movement of the one above); this ramp is still a nightmare during both morning and evening rushhour. The ramp NEEDS to be two lanes wide for its length, that is until ramp traffic joins 495 North. The only way this would be possible would be to reconstruct one of the bridges on the ramp.

Posted by: xyv1027 | September 25, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Those "improvements" on upper Conn. Ave. are a terrible idea. All the traffic has to funnel into one lane, creating a mess. There are not a lot of pedestrians there--they are at the intersection of Georgia and Conn and some distance around there. Nothing is changed, as they will still cross the street between cars. The "improvements" are in the wrong place.

Posted by: Commuter through Aspen Hill | September 25, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

The addition of SmarTrip to RideOn buses is a good development, but watch out for overcharging for transfers. The fareboxes do not always recognize a rail-to-bus transfer as they should; sometimes they charge the full $1.25 instead of the $.35 transfer fare. (It happened to me twice within a couple of weeks, and I know it's happened to others as well.) It's not a lot of money, but if you're on a tight budget, you're better off sticking with paper transfers and coins.

Posted by: jane | September 25, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I CAN'T WAIT to see only 6-car trains during rush hour on the Blue Line. It's maddening to stand on the Farragut West platform at 5:45 and watch 2 or 3 sardine-packed short trains come through. It's miserable having to choose between riding for 25 minutes in agony or waiting up to 20 minutes for a train with actual breathing room.

That said, I'm not counting my chickens just yet. I too am concerned about the spacing of the trains during rush once the new cars are added.

Posted by: Braddock to Farragut West Commuter | September 25, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I concur with the other user regarding the Springfield Interchange signage being a problem. I drive through there daily and the biggest problem is on southbound I-395 just after Edsall Road. The signs are too small and the arrows do not match up with the lanes at all, which is a HUGE problem at an interchange where selecting the correct lane is so vital. Those of us who drive it every day know where to go, but the signs are supposed to be there to help the people who DON'T know the road.

On Saturday night I came up northbound I-95 through Springfield on my way back from Charlottesville and I noted some odd lane striping. VDOT maintains that the thru lanes on I-95 (using the new flyover ramp to the eastbound Beltway) are the thru lanes and that traffic staying right to access I-395, or the Beltway to Tysons, is using an "Exit" (Exit 170). Fair enough as to logic in that to go from I-95 to I-395 you have to "Exit" from I-95. But they changed the lane striping to use those close-spaced dotted lines FOR THE THRU LANES on I-95. That's backwards: the close-spaced lines are used to denote an exit lane. If the I-95 ramp is not an "Exit," the exit lines should not guide traffic to that ramp--they should guide traffic to Exit 170.

What it boils down to is that the signage in the Springfield Interchange has been planned solely by highway engineers and not by real people. I can understand and respect the thought process the highway engineers use, but I disagree that it's appropriate for a major interchange where there is so much non-local traffic passing through, people who don't use the roads daily and who can't be expected to be familiar with what ramp goes where. The signs, to me, exalt form (engineering logic) over substance (usability for the average motorist), and that should never be the case.

One change I advocate for the signs in Springfield is that the pull-through signs for I-95 long-distance traffic need to list longer-distance destinations. Going north, all the signs directing you to the correct lanes need to include Baltimore, New Jersey, and New York (maybe Philadelphia too). Going south, Richmond is a good start, but they ought to add something like North Carolina and maybe Atlanta on there. Yes, it's non-standard to do this, but it would help the long-distance motorists out. That's why Maryland lists New York on a fair number of signs.

Posted by: Rich | September 25, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

once they get 6 car trains on the blue line, they want to send half of them up the yellow/green lines instead

maybe they can open the tunnels up and let people walk home

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Braddock to Farragut West Commuter, go the other direction on either blue or orange and transfer to yellow at l'enfant. It's out of the way, but you don't have to contend with commuters climbing up your rear trying to get on the train

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Dr. G, Could you do any follow-up with VDOT as to why signage in Springfield is so pathetic? The bottom line is that the majority of road users are not transportation engineers so the logic used in the development of the signage does not work for most folks.

Rich, I concur with your argument on the lane striping. As you approach the interchange headed north, its not clear what lanes and exiting and what lanes (I-95 North) are not. Plus, the overhead signs with the arrows don't line up. Maryland uses a yellow back-drop to the lane arrows on many of its overhead signs which really helps folks identify the lane they need. (Often times they also include "Exit Only" or "Only" directly beside the arrow as well.) In Springfield, VDOT does none of this. All they have are arrows that don't line up with the lanes on the road. If locals can't follow the signs, how can long distance travelers?

Most importantly, the lane designation and guidance for I-95 north traffic (towards the WWB) should be clear for MILES in advance. AND, as the previous poster notes, the signage should include control cities like "95 North Baltimore New York". Long distance travelers have no idea where Andrews AFB is!

Posted by: Springfield | September 26, 2007 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Georgia Ave at the beltway is a nightmare. It takes 15-20 mins to go the less than 2 miles from Spring St to Forest Glen where it used to take 5-6 mins. It has gotten so bad that I (and others) now wind our way thru neighborhoods to avoid it. The trip is faster and is about 6 miles longer. Either way not a good use of time and fuel.

Posted by: KLS SS MD | September 26, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

I have a question about using SmarTrip on buses: if I have a transfer slip, e.g. from Metro, does the bus driver have a way of making it only charge the transfer fee?

I am about to resume riding the Fairfax Connector Reston-Pentagon express bus after a few months off (working in Fairfax), and am wondering if I can get the $2.10 fare in the afternoons using my transfer from Chinatown Metro & SmarTrip card. Thanks...

Posted by: Western FairCo | September 26, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I come in from Bowie into Northeast down South Dakota Avenue. They will be doing construction on the CSX bridge near Vista Road. How will the flow of traffic be affected on South Dakota?

Posted by: maryland commuter | September 26, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I second the question from "Western FairCo" since every once in a while I ride the Metro and transfer to the Fairfax Connector bus, which I believe is a 35¢ fare with the paper transfer. How does this work with the SmarTrip?

Posted by: Rich | September 26, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the signage at the Springfield interchange could be much better. The signs not having lane arrows that line up properly is unacceptable. If I had to design the signs, I would have probably used more diagramatic signs showing exactly which lanes go where...but even that has its own problem. If you show a split where 4 lanes divide in 3 directions 2 miles in advance, but all 4 lanes haven't formed yet (maybe there are 3 lanes and a 4th is added from an on-ramp), these signs may do more harm than good.

I do take issue with the suggestion that the signs (and the interchange) were planned "solely by highway engineers" and not by "real people". Highway engineers are real people, and we drive through interchanges like this a lot too. But we do have standards we have to follow, and those standards were for the most part developed using a lot of research and human factors testing on a simulator at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research facility in McLean. A ***MAJOR*** problem with the signage at the old Springfield interchange was information overload. If you put up a sign, motorists have to be able to read the entire sign assembly and safely drive at the same time. Too much information means drivers will slow down in an attempt to read the signs or they will get confused and make sudden last minute maneuvers when they comprehend (10 seconds after digesting all the info from the signs) that they are in the wrong lane. That is a big cause of accidents.

If you are following I-95 from Richmond to points north in Maryland, and you are not familiar with the DC road network, navigating the Springfield interchange should be fairly easy. Do just the same thing you always do when you are driving on a stretch of highway: keep the the left, away from all the "exits" on the right. Really, it can't be any easier then that. People complained that their expectancy was violated by having to take an exit ramp on the right to follow I-95, so engineers did exactly what people seemed to want...they put the through I-95 movements on the left. They even signed them as through movements. If you are heading through on I-95, you should: not be using the HOV lanes if you don't know where they go, not worry about I-395, I-495 towards Tyson's, or anything that is signed as an exit. You should not be worried about nuances like "turning off of the Shirley Highway onto the Beltway", just stay to the freakin left and follow the I-95 signs! If you are going anywhere in the DC Metro area which requires you to follow I-495 or I-395, and are not familiar with the roads in the area, you should have directions printed from Google, Mapquest, etc., and again, follow the signs. You should expect that at some point you will need to exit I-95.

Locals are the ones who know the Beltway and Shirley Highway are different roads, but should be the ones that know which lanes to be in.

And as for the suggestion of control cities ("I-95 north - Baltimore, I-95 south - Richmond"...Baltimore and Richmond are the control cities), you are allowed one control city on a pull through sign (a sign for the road you are already on). For an exit, you are generally allowed two. Yes, there are signs all over the place that violate these rules, but FHWA is getting stricter on enforcement lately. I don't see why Baltimore and Richmond are poor choices for control cities. Those are major cities which everyone should know about (looking at a map, they jump right out at you). Having additional control points might be nice for reference, but they should be on supplemental signs, such as the one that already exists on I-95 north approaching Springfield ("NJ - NY, follow I-95 north"). Thats all that is necessary...now that you have been told to follow I-95 north, you should be looking for I-95 north signs. Yes, there should be a corresponding one heading south, but there really are no other major cities heading south for an exceptionally long distance. But cramming 3 or 4 control points onto the signs which are 700+ miles away is just useless information overload. If Springfield were in the middle of nowhere, then maybe there might be room for supplemental signs for Atlanta, Miami, Boston, Montreal, etc., but since there are other things that need to be signed, like local exits, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

OK, sorry for the long rant.

Posted by: Woodley Park | September 26, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

While most of the statements made by Woodley Park are true, the numerous skid marks on the pavement on I-95 North at the "exit" for I-395 and I-495 North in Springfield are a clear indication that motorists are in deed confused as to which way to go. MD SHA recently replaced all of the signs on the outer loop of the Beltway approaching the I-495 West/I-95 North Split in College Park with large, legible, easy to read signs with large I-95 and I-495 shields. An out-of-town traveler has no confusion as to which route is I-495 West and which route is I-95 North.

Posted by: Upper Marlboro | September 26, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree with most of what Woodley Park said also, though I would tend to think that you really can't have too much signage. If there are too many signs near Springfield, then put a sign in Lorton that says "95 north Baltimore NYC keep left, 8 miles". I like what Maryland has done up near Baltimore where they actually paint the Interstate 95 onto the pavement. That would eliminate a lot of confusion right there.

Posted by: Arlingtonian | September 26, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

the numerous skid marks on the pavement on I-95 North at the "exit" for I-395 and I-495 North in Springfield are a clear indication that motorists are in deed not paying attention to what they hell they are doing

Posted by: Anonymous | September 26, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

To the person who wrote about the Waxpool interchange, thanks for pointing out that there is a right-turn lane that nobody uses. I don't care if I have to slow down more, frankly I think slowing down is better than stopped. Plus you can get over to the left and laugh at all the people who've been stopped on the bridge for the last 10 minutes while I used a legal way to get onto Waxpool and up to the light. Maybe these people driving the SUV's might save some money going this way.

To the Metro commuters out there who routinely wait 2 or 3 trains (up to 30 minutes) every morning for a train, I ask you WHY!?!?!

Wouldn't you think that after a couple of weeks you would realize that trying to get on a train at say 7:45 isn't going to work but you're on the train every day at 8:15??? Are you bussing and stuck be their schedule, are you driving and parking there? What are you doing that you routinely waste time every day.

I was on Metro the other day with a yellow line rider who lives near her station. Heard her complain that for the last two years, EVERY day, she has to wait through three trains before she can get on one so she can get to work. I'd use that extra time for sleep, breakfast, or watching the morning news. If I know I can't catch train A, I wont even try.

With the exception of the Springfield Interchange, I don't think it's the fault of the designers, but in fact, user error.

Posted by: Uhhhhhhhhhh | September 27, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You know, regarding Springfield, one thought I've had for years and forgot to mention before is that I've always thought that it might not be a bad idea to have a sign that advises traffic that both sides of the Beltway go to the same place. That is--it's not the end of the world if you miss the I-95 ramp since you can just go the other way around the Beltway. Of course, this doesn't fit with the idea of the eastern half being I-95, and there are reasons not to route people around the western part (the narrow segment near Wisconsin Avenue and the twisty segment after Wisconsin are two good reasons that come to mind).

In my mind the ideal would be to scrap the I-495 designation and to make the Beltway I-95E and I-95W, but I know this is no longer allowed.

"Woodley Park" does make a good point about information overload on signs, and unfortunately I think the average out-of-area motorist may already encounter that in Springfield. But I'm not sure how you avoid it, given the nature of that interchange. One thought I had last night involves the big sign on the Inner Loop as you approach the Springfield Interchange. Just west of Van Dorn Street there is a sign with a HUGE I-95 SOUTH designation, a much bigger shield than any of the other signs around, and it says "TWO LEFT LANES." There is no comparable sign on I-95 coming north, and maybe there ought to be. In the scheme of things, I think that ultimately for the average motorist it's probably the northbound route through there that is the most confusing, simply because there are so many ramps and signs in such quick succession (right exit for 644, left exit for express lanes, right exit for I-395 coupled with sign for another right exit for I-495, all at just about the same spot). On the Beltway the ramps are a bit more spaced out. So maybe I-95 North needs a sign with a very big I-95 shield that's similar to the one used on the Beltway. It certainly shouldn't hurt anything, anyway.

Posted by: Rich | September 27, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

RE: Sign information overload.

Woodley Park, wouldn't I-395 South from the SW Waterfront into VA be a major "violator" of the information overload? Although I probably only drive this route once per month, I'm always perplexed by all the signs, exits, arrows, etc. EVERY time I do drive this route I'm generally headed for Route 110 to link to I-66 West, and frankly, its a HUGE challenge to find the correct sign, the correct lane, and the correct ramp.

With all that said, I'm not quite sure what to fix. Most all the signs are important.

Posted by: xyv1027 | September 27, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

To fix the sign problem the engineers need to fly out to California and learn how to do signing. It's like night and day. Even in the downtown areas where you have exits every quarter mile, the exits are marked well ahead of time and always note the next 3 exits and which side they are on.
I fly pretty regularly around to different metropolitan areas and VA has the worst out of all. It's not just NOVA, but a VDOT problem. They really need to take a look at best practices and implement them. Just improving signage and lane markings would make a small improvement in traffic.

Posted by: Z | September 27, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

we can't let traffic engineers out of NOVA, they might accidentally see how a street grid works

Posted by: Anonymous | September 27, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Who is the genius who suggested rerouting the existing traffic from the inner loop on the Beltway at Kenilworth Avenue to a traffic light instead of directly onto Kenilworth?

Today, the whole onramp was backed up onto the Beltway and numerous rear-enders were averted (barely).

Posted by: PGCounty | October 2, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

The new "thru traffic use 2 left lanes" signage on 66 has done nothing to ease the flow. I've been saying it for years - no one pays attention to "non-exit" highway signs. Put an "Exit Only" sign over the rightmost lane, and then people might actually realize they need to move over. I'd also station a police car at exit 69 occasionally to catch people who zoom across the ramp and cut back into traffic.

Another huge issue is the section of 66 Eastbound between the East Falls Church metro and the Ballston exit - it doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is, but traffic *always* slows to a crawl... mainly because of drivers not realizing (or just ignoring) the onramp lane ends and try to squeeze in at the last second, thus forcing the rest of us to hit the brakes. How about painting some "merge" arrows on the road, and possibly keeping the metering lights on longer?

Posted by: KC | October 2, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Slow down with all these ideas for putting up signs and signals that make sense, else the people might expect competence everywhere. Easier to just widen lanes and put up lights. Thinking in terms of usage and traffic flow is too complex for VDOT and will overwhelm them.

Posted by: Z | October 2, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rose Tran | November 3, 2007 6:01 AM | Report abuse

shrip choliambist chamidae lazar jacob fut markdown disconvenient
Disney Family Halloween

Posted by: Clair Nichols | November 4, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! uxmpijvueykr

Posted by: bjyecqvawn | November 23, 2007 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Another big drug maker, Pfizer, for example, was harshly criticized in 2001 for reporting that its painkiller Celebrex caused fewer ulcers than older drugs after six months of use. Pfizer’s study had originally been designed — but failed — to show that Celebrex caused fewer ulcers after a full year of use. Yesterday, Merck and Schering said they did not yet know the results of the trial. They said they were changing the endpoint only because they want to be able to analyze the data more quickly. A panel of outside scientists recommended the change last Friday, said Lee Davies, a spokesman for Schering. Mr. Davies declined to disclose the members of the panel. Dr. Howard Weintraub, the clinical director of the New York University center for the prevention of cardiovascular disease, said cardiologists were especially concerned about the trial’s results because Zetia works...http://coolnews-4u.com/

Posted by: dgvvspcwry | November 24, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Add UV radiation from the sun, and the magnitude of sorting out what is truly carcinogenic becomes evident. Aging is a major cause of cancer, associated not just with chemicals, but a normal process called telomere shortening. So, except for high exposure workers, it is completely unfounded to claim that there exists a chemically driven cancer epidemic. Accusing cancer researchers of choosing not to address prevention shows a lack of understanding of the biology of cancer. To infer that the interest in therapeutics derives from the fact that cancer treatment has somehow become an industry is to be misinformed. Despite ads suggesting that drug companies...http://bestnews-4u.com/

Posted by: pzejxsbghd | November 24, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

For this is where candidates Wanda Adams and Lawrence Allen Jr. have their storefront campaign headquarters, 12 blocks apart. The area also is where both candidates have worked on some of Houston's grittier problems, earning their credentials as grass roots public servants. Cullen, its empty storefronts and busted sidewalks intertwined with signs of redevelopment and neighborhood pride, symbolizes a district full of need and promise. Adams, on leave as a coordinator of the city's Go Green Initiative for recycling and other environmental programs, has the support of the district's outgoing councilwoman, Ada Edwards. At least three other council members are in Adams' corner, along with former Mayor Lee...http://coolnews-4u.com/

Posted by: uveslfwkch | November 25, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

nonmartial intermingledom conservationist unbudgeable sobralite perihelial adrenolytic tetractinellidan
Kirby House Restaurant

Posted by: Leanna Schroeder | December 20, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again, the caulky wealthy, super smart and supper rich sqaubbling, as I am wathcing now on the ABC debates. Someone, please tell me, DO ANY OF THE SO CALLED INTELLECTUALS HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE..??

Once again the same old , same old political machine is here again, "change, the MIDDLE CLASS, Drugs, Healthcare, etc..., WHO the Frig has the BALLS to speak up and say, LOW INCOME, and the MEGA WEALTHY,....???? A CEO makes 20 million Dollars, what he can't afford to pay8 million in taxes and still have enough left over....? So we can give it to the poor, then lets get them off there asses and make them work......Also Billary Rhodham "clinton" NOT sure what her name is today, she has blood stained hands with Landgate. This country is so way way way of track it is a very sick country. I am writing a manual for people to show them how to take down this country, quite easily. Why....not fot the terrorists but for out protectors to know how easy this country can be lost, just like the romans lost........stay tuned more to come with more meaty information. Ever Wonder what is underneath the Arlington Cemetary ....? You'd alll be surprised.

Posted by: SPJOby2 | January 5, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse