Va. Commuters Will Face Many Projects

Virginia commuters will soon find themselves swept up in set of transportation projects with far reaching affects on their daily travels. The Virginia Department of Transportation just issued a status report on what it refers to as the "mega-projects":

I-95 Widening -
VDOT will add a fourth lane in each direction for six miles from Newington to the Occoquan River. Construction begins early 2008 and will be completed in 2010.

I-95/Telegraph Road Interchange - Construction of the new interchange will begin in 2008 and be completed in 2012 as part of the Wilson Bridge project.

Beltway HOT Lanes - Under a public-private partnership that VDOT expects will go to financial close by the end of the year, Fluor-Transurban will building two HOV/HOT lanes in each direction from Springfield to just north of the Dulles Toll Road. The project includes adding carpool ramps from the I-95 HOV lanes to the Beltway HOV lanes. VDOT expects construction to begin next spring 2008 and take five years.

Route 7, Tysons Corner - Utility relocation could begin this month in preparation for the proposed Dulles Rail project, VDOT says. The relocation will require closing portions of the two-lane service road between Route 123 and the Dulles Toll Road.

Fairfax County Parkway - The federal government will finalize design and construct the two-mile, four-lane segment between Fullerton Road and Rolling Road, but the start date has yet to be determined.

By Robert Thomson  |  October 12, 2007; 6:12 AM ET
Categories:  Construction
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Overturned Truck Closes I-95 South Near Woodbridge
Next: Metro Communications and More

Comments

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, I was kind of hoping for an update on Rock Creek Parkway construction...there is a sign on the northbound parkway under Kennedy Center saying "Left Lane Closed, 10/15/07". Could it really be that the NPS did in 3 weeks to the northbound side what it took them 5 months to do on the southbound side?

Posted by: Woodley Park | October 12, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"Utility relocation could begin this month in preparation for the proposed Dulles Rail project, VDOT says. The relocation will require closing portions of the two-lane service road between Route 123 and the Dulles Toll Road."

WHAAAAT?! Why on Earth would they be using taxpayer monies to begin a project that may never happen due to lack of FTA (Federal) funding? This is bad, folks - very very very bad. What happens when FTA scraps the project and then taxpayers have to spend the money to go back and undo the utility relocations or have paid for unnecessary work?! This calls for a revolt! Who is authorizing this use of funds? I want answers, Washington Post. Please dig deeper on this story!!!

Posted by: ViennaHomeowner | October 12, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

ViennaHomeowner: I agree. This is ludicrous. How in the h*ll can they jump the gun on this? It's like getting my lawn service to come out and give me an estimate to cut my grass and more and then they show up secretly in the middle of the night, start the work, and then expect me to pay for it. Bunch of Sh@t!

Posted by: esmobster | October 12, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Lets see here

I-95 Widening - That will be jammed about 10 seconds after it opens

I-95/Telegraph Interchange - Overkill for the new Wilson Bridge, that money should have been spent elsewhere to deal with other bottlenecks

Beltway HOT lanes - Does zilch for congestion except give you the option of dropping $20/day to get to work in a reasonable time

Route 7 / Dulles Rail - Who knows

FFX County Pkwy - Will they be putting lights every 1/2 mile or really go for it at every 1/4 mile

Posted by: Z | October 12, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

viennahomeowner, how can you protest this? route 7 looks horrible with the service lanes and the huge overhead lines! compare route 7 in tysons to roads outside atlanta, toronto, etc. our roads look trashy beyond belief with all the wires and the weeds that tower between the main road and the service lanes

Posted by: viennaworker | October 12, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget - they have now torn up Loudoun County Parkway/Ryan Road area for at least a year. I'd like to know where I can find more info on that!

Posted by: Ashburn, VA | October 15, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Gridlock, I really enjoyed your informative write-up in yesterday's Post on the HOT lane construction on I-495 in VA. I really think alot of commuters will be able to benefit from the HOT lane construction even if it means at a cost (e.g. paying a steep toll).

What I think officials still don't see is the impact that "ending" the HOT lanes will have on I-495 north at Old Dominion Drive, particularly in regards to the afternoon commute. The merge point from six lanes (four regular plus two HOT lanes) to just the four all-purpose lanes will make the HOV/Express lane merge on I-95 south of Dumfries look good. I question the overall success of the lanes until HOT lanes are constructed continuously from I-370 down I-270, across the Legion Bridge and on to Springfield. Truncating the lanes a mile or two before the Legion Bridge will cripple everyone's commute further I think.

As an aside, I did notice that your article mentioned that traffic would not be allowed to go east on the Toll Rd and then use the northbound HOT lanes; this is a good step in minimizing traffic on the northern stretch but all that traffic coming from the Westpark and Jones Branch HOT interchanges (out of the heart of Tysons) and going towards 270 in the afternoon is going to make for one big mess.

Posted by: xyv1027 | October 15, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

It's about time they do something about the Telegraph Road interchange. It needs to be fixed because it's an awful combination of roads, not because of the bridge.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

yhusx zqdsr rtbdoxcgn donmb yhezcvm gypwtnel fhwyz

Posted by: cyhmdk matkg | November 11, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

xwsjq clpx iypluznk xudqr sanxgujf mkcbtzxsp svznqmwa http://www.jhfmy.wnfr.com

Posted by: fdcsjbl frbwp | November 11, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse