MD Senate Passes Camera Bill

The bill to allow local governments throughout Maryland to use speed cameras passed the state Senate today by a vote of 26 to 21. The measure, which also allows the state to set up the cameras in road work zones, must also pass the House of Delegates.

Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) backs the proposal. In the Senate, it's SB 269; and in the House, it's HB 364.

Senators amended their bill twice. One amendment reduced the proposed fines from $75 to $40, which matches the amount of the fine in the Montgomery County pilot program, which began last May. The other amendment exempts volunteer rescue workers who are acting in the line of duty when they pass through a camera zone. The House also amended its bill to set the fine at $40.

By Robert Thomson  |  March 18, 2008; 11:36 AM ET
Categories:  Transportation Politics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Do You Want to Pay?
Next: Metro to Cut Back Weekend Maintenance

Comments

That's a creative way for Maryland to make up for their budget shortfalls. I didn't realize MD was hurting so badly financially that they had to resort to this.

Posted by: Bob | March 18, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I think speed cameras really work. I see them a big deterrent to overspeeding in various parts of Montgomery County.

Posted by: Erick | March 18, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

When I can confront a speed camera in court, I'll support this stupidity.

Posted by: Cygnus | March 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Time to put my Eliminator license plate cover back on the car. I took it off shortly after 9-11 because I was driving to Canada and the idea of crossing the border with an obscured license plate didn't seem very smart.

Posted by: Rich | March 18, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Whether it is a revenue source or not you should not be speeding anyway! The cameras trigger at 11mph over, so if you are going faster than that on a surface road you deserve to be ticketed. If people were not driving so fast this motion would not exist. Driving is a privilege not a right. If you want to drive faster draft a petition to increase the speed limit.

Posted by: Sivad | March 18, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I can drive whatever speed I want to I am better than you take a bike you fools.

Posted by: Driver | March 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse