Peeps Take the Metro to the New Ballpark

Those wacky Metro employees. They released a video on You Tube that follows three peeps as they try to make their way to the new Nationals Park. It's not great cinematography, but you will likely find yourself chuckling throughout -- if only because it's so bad, it's good.

The Reliable Source spoke to WMATA public relations director Lisa Farbstein about the story behind the video yesterday (second item).

Check out the video below and let us know your thoughts on "Peeps in the Park."

By Amy L. Kovac  |  March 21, 2008; 9:13 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: VDOT Commissioner Faults Ice Storm Response
Next: The Weekend and Beyond

Comments

It's so basic and lame that I can't stop laughing. Esp. at the comments on the page -- the one Peep's not standing to the right...

Posted by: WDC 21113 | March 21, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

That was funny in a silly kind of way. Props to those employees for coming up with that.

Posted by: WDC | March 21, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Wonderfully lame! It reminded me to go and visit one of my favorite Internet sites: http://www.peepresearch.org/

Posted by: lvie | March 21, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Best part was the VW Bug with the Peep on top..hilarious

Posted by: 20190 | March 21, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

That...was...lame. Notice no helpful station managers in this video either!

Posted by: Jarrod | March 21, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

That...was...lame. Notice no helpful station managers in this video either!

Posted by: Jarrod | March 21, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

This was awesome! Love the Peeps! Take Metro.

Posted by: Huggy Bear | March 21, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Great stuff! Metro should cut it to 30 seconds and give it to Comcast to run as a regional PSA. After all, Comcast raised rates a buck a month to cover the cost of carrying Nationals games. They ought to pitch in -- so to speak.

Posted by: Andy in SW | March 21, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Slightly unrelated, but I was on one of the newer cars on Wednesday, and heard the old two-tone chime, followed by a different voice saying (more slowly) "Doors Closing." - Anyone know if Metro has seen the light and is going away from the terse voice we've had for the last two years?
The old chimes were truly music to my ears. :)

Posted by: Joe in SS | March 21, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Every time they showed the car with the Peep on it, they should have dubbed in a guy making car noises. "Brrrrrrrrrr, brrrrrrrrr, vroom vroom! Honk! Honk!"

Posted by: jw | March 21, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Loved it. The peep riding around all alone on his little VW cracked me up...

Posted by: logan | March 21, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

That didn't exactly encourage me to take Metro.

Posted by: Rich | March 21, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Who knew that Metro had a sense of humor!

Posted by: natinva@aol.com | March 21, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

YouTube says this video isn't available anymore! :(

Posted by: Tee | March 21, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Tee, try this URL:

Some funny comments there.

Too bad the Navy Yard stop will not be anywhere near complete by next weekend.

Posted by: Rich | March 21, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

It was cute, but seriously, they need to find better ways to spend their time. Metro isn't a funhouse, and while I support humor on the job, Metro really can't afford to be too lighthearted, given that many riders only use them because gas prices are rising.

Posted by: lalala | March 21, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Never mind...too cute.

Posted by: Tee | March 21, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

What a great video--Metro has a sense of humor after all! By the way, since it's the Easter season does anyone know where to find the photo album of Peeps doing the stations of the cross? I saw that at work a few years ago and my officemate and I were in tears.

Posted by: concernedcitizen10 | March 21, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

This got my attention last night on Fox5 News at 10... Of all the things Metro has done, this one cost... just a bit of time by one Metro staffer. He ate the cost of buying the Peeps. It basically cost taxpayers nothing. YAY!

Posted by: GburgMan | March 21, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Many "fans" are in for a rude awakening when riding the Green Line for the first time. You definitely will not find any cheerful "peeps!", nor will they find any manners, home training, or transit police enforcing "the rules" or providing the protection many are used to on the other lines. It is what it is! Welcome to our daily hell! LOL!

Posted by: Green Line Commuter | March 21, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

DC tax dollars hard at work. BS propoganda.

Posted by: Ed | March 21, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

DC tax dollars hard at work. BS propaganda.

Posted by: Ed | March 21, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"No....."

What a great way to end a Friday afternoon at work. Adorable video, and Go Nationals!!

Posted by: Ohio in VA | March 21, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, at least they didn't spend a million bucks to film this. Good for Metro using new technology to (hopefully) save us poor metro riders a few bucks.

Posted by: Average Jane | March 21, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Notice that Dave's office is in Metro's headquarters. Hmmmmm.

Posted by: Bill Cowper | March 21, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Who do I want answering the White House phone at 3 a.m? Peeps!

Posted by: terpfan | March 21, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

The best part was where the pink Peep fell off the car.

So bad, it's funny.

Posted by: surlychick | March 21, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

That wasn't funny. It was disgusting. Metro should spend its money on improving service, not ridiculing those of who choose to ride their pathetic transit system. I'm sick of Metro employees spitting in my face when I try to ask them a question. All Metro employees need to be fired and replaced with English-speaking, American-born, Lou-Dobbs-loving citizens. The rest of you: GO BACK TO AFRICA AND RIP OFF YOUR FELLOW AFRICANS!!!! I'm sick of you trying to rip off TRUE AMERICANS!!! GOD BLESS YOU JOHN MCCAIN!!!!

Posted by: METRO SUCKS | March 24, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree, surlychick! That had me laughing out loud! I couldn't understand the dialogue (it's not captioned and I'm deaf), but I got the point: metro is faster and less stressful. Bah. Still...heard a *groan* in my head when the boss peep fell off his car at the end. Too funny. Wish they would caption it or post a transcript, though!

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | March 24, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but what is kimerikas?

Jane.

Posted by: sweeta-gw | March 25, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but what is kimerikas?

Jane.

Posted by: sweeta-gw | March 25, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but what is kimerikas?

Jane.

Posted by: sweeta-gw | March 25, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

"it's not captioned and I'm deaf"

And I'm supposed to feel sorry for you?!?!? Give me a break. Gee, Metro didn't meet your needs. What a shock. They haven't met the needs of the rest of us either. So go take an inbound Orange line train that is already packed by the time it reaches West Falls Church and deal with it! Even those of us who can hear cannot understand the unintelligible announcements the train operater makes. So you're really not at a disadvantage. Start being "handicapable" and stop whining. OK???

Posted by: Oh Too Bad | March 26, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"it's not captioned and I'm deaf"

Or better yet, go on Dancing with the Stars with your hero, Marlee Matlin. She's deaf and you don't see her whining. Take a lesson.

Posted by: Oh Too Bad | March 26, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"it's not captioned and I'm deaf"

Posted by: Oh Too Bad | March 26, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Such a troll. What crawled up your sphincter and died? I am a lot more capable than you will ever hope to be, seeing as I don't feel the need to cut down others. In your haste to judge me and call me a whiner, you overlooked something, dumba$$: I figured out what the video said and found humor from it IN SPITE of it not being accessible to the 30 million (and growing) deaf and hard of hearing Americans. Hanidcapable? I sure am!

Karma, OhTooBad...karma.

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | March 26, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Furthermore, qualifying WHY I could not understand the dialogue with the statement "it's not captioned and I'm deaf" is hardly complaining. Let alone complaining about Metro, which you clearly pulled out of your arse.

Marlee Matlin is a brave and admirable woman, unlike the spineless weenie you are (hiding behind a pseudonym to attack someone who points out a VERY VALID CRITICISM OF THE VIDEO!) You probably trip blind people too, just for kicks, eh? Idiot.

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | March 26, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"probably trip blind people too, just for kicks, eh? Idiot."

Ooh, good idea. I'd say thank you, but you wouldn't be able to hear me!!! HA! You really need to see a therapist about your anger by the way. OK, you're deaf. But don't take it out on the rest of us. There are plenty of deaf people who are able to handle it without going insane. Just a thought.

Posted by: Oh Too Bad | March 29, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse