Metro Outlines Track Work Plan

The transit authority has unveiled its guide for rail travel during the four weekends of track work needed to replace the switch at Mount Vernon Square.

With plans this detailed, you could invade a small nation. I'll give you the link here, and just deal with a few highlights.

Switch replacements and the resulting lengthy delays on train lines are unfortunate but not new. The new thing with this particular project is that it's on the main route to the new baseball stadium, so it's unclear what the impact will be -- though it can't be good.

Nationals Park is nearest Navy Yard Station, on the Green Line. The switch replacement weekends overlap with two Nationals homestands: May 9, 10, 11 and June 6, 7 and 8.

Here's what Metro plans to do on May 10-11 and June 7-8 (the Saturdays and Sundays) to ease congestion and waiting times:

Getting to Games
-- Shuttle trains will operate between L'Enfant Plaza (transfer point to the Blue and Orange lines) and Navy Yard. But they won't go north to Gallery Place, a Red Line transfer point.
-- So Red Line riders from Shady Grove should transfer at the Metro Center to a Blue or Orange Line train to L'Enfant Plaza, then board a regular Green Line train toward Branch Avenue or the shuttle train to Navy Yard.
-- Red Line riders from Glenmont could get off at Union Station and rider the N22 shuttle bus to Navy Yard Station, leaving them at New Jersey Avenue and M Street SE, a short walk from the stadium.
-- Blue and Orange Line riders from New Carrollton and Largo could get off at Eastern Market, another N22 bus stop.

Leaving Games
-- The shuttle trains will continue operating between Navy Yard and
L'Enfant Plaza.
-- After the seventh inning, free shuttle buses will operate every five minutes between Navy Yard and Federal Center SW. The shuttles will leave from the New Jersey Avenue and M Street SE stop.
-- The N22 will be free and operate every five minutes after the seventh inning to take people back to Eastern Market and Union Station.

Another option: Drive to RFK Stadium's Lot 8, park for free, and take the free Nationals Express, which drops its passengers at 300 M St. SE, about five blocks from Nationals Park. It will be there after the games, too.

By Robert Thomson  |  May 6, 2008; 9:36 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Signs of HOT Lane Construction
Next: Indoor-Outdoor

Comments

In theory, I suppose Metro riders who are so inclined could ride to Stadium-Armory and take the Nats Express bus, although the walk from the Metro to the bus seems like it would be similar to the walk from Capitol South to the ballpark.

Posted by: Rich | May 6, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

From Dr. Gridlock: As Rich suggests, Orange and Blue Line riders could get off at Stadium-Armory and walk around to RFK's Lot 8 to board the Nats Express, or stay on the train to Capitol South, then walk down New Jersey Avenue. Takes me about 20 minutes to get from Capitol South to Nats Park. It's downhill. After the game, you could catch one of the free shuttles from NJ Ave and M St back up to one of the Orange/Blue stations.

Posted by: Robert Thomson | May 6, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

So the big plan is to massively inconvenience Red Line users. Oh joy.

Posted by: Lindemann | May 6, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Can I just say that, while the detailed plans could be seen as being a bit excessive, I love the fact that Metro is being so upfront about what's going on. I'm really seeing changes and problems.

Everytime there's a train delay now, I actually almost get annoyed at how much information is announced in the stations. Such a change, and that's good customer service.

Now, if you're complaining about if it actually goes to plan or not, that's something we can talk about, but here's a hats off to Metro about doing a better job communicating about problems in advance and quickly when they happen.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | May 6, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Dr. G, did this track work happen last weekend at Mount Vernon Square? I couldn't tell based on the train service, which seemed like a usual saturday night on the green line. I think the trains on the green line were running about 15-18 minutes apart. I did notice that yellow line trains were going to Fort Totten, not all the way to Greenbelt as stated earlier. I also saw no notices on the boards or announcements in the station about it (at least not at 8:15pm saturday when I was catching a train at College Park metro).

In an earlier post you had said yellow line trains would run all the way to greenbelt. Is this still the case or will they be terminating at Fort Totten?

Posted by: Laura | May 6, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

In what station can you actually understand station announcements?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 6, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"In what station can you actually understand station announcements?"

Are you saying you can't understand what "Grreeegle zxcvbnm asdfghjkl" means?

Posted by: Rich | May 6, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I wish they would say "Grreeegle zxcvbnm asdfghjkl"

It would be an improvement.

Posted by: Nate | May 6, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Laura - I believe you're confusing two proposals. The trains running all the way to Greenbelt would be BLUE line trains at rush hour, as part of the proposal to alleviate overcrowding in the Rosslyn tunnel.

Back to baseball - could Metro possibly run shuttles to the underused Judiciary Square station after passing Federal Center SW? The N22 is wonderful from Eastern Market, but it follows a circuitous route around 3 corners of the Capitol to get to Union Station.

Posted by: Joe in SS | May 6, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The N22's primary purpose when established was to take commuters from Union Station to Federal Center and the Navy Yard, it existed for quite some time before the Nationals even moved to DC.

Posted by: OTP | May 6, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"Joe in SS," Laura's right in terms of what she was addressing--Dr. Gridlock advised in a prior blog entry that as part of the track work to be done over the next few weeks, Yellow Line trains will terminate at Greenbelt while WMATA replaces a portion of the interlocking just north of Mt Vernon Square where there was a derailment recently. This is separate from the longer-term line realignment possibilities.

Posted by: Rich | May 6, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It's about time Red Line riders are inconvenienced. Less than 2 minute intervals during rush hour...every other car is an 8 car train, the first line to be built...I think it's about time.

Just kidding. :)

This is my primary station. And at the start of tourist season?!? This is going to be fun!

Posted by: Tim | May 6, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The *start* of tourist season? Where have you been the past month and a half?

Posted by: Woodley Park | May 6, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

From Dr. Gridlock: I think I might have confused Laura and others in my Friday blog item when I refered to the Mount Vernon track work starting "next" weekend, which to me meant May 9-11, but other may have thought meant May 2-4.

The work weekends are May 9-11, May 16-18, May 30-June 1 and June 6-8.

Also, Centurion Shield, I don't have the slightest problem with Metro creating a detailed plan designed to help people get through these weekends. Hope it didn't sound that way in my posting. I was just struck by the great detail that went into the plan. Don't recall seeing anything like it for a track project.

Posted by: Robert Thomson | May 7, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I live in Southern MD, and am going to the game this weekend as my mother's day present. We will board at Branch Avenue, and exit at Navy Yard. I will assume that, as usual, south of the stadium will get the fuzzy end of the lollipop. I'm sure we will have the delays, just no shuttle buses.

Posted by: Sparks | May 8, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse