Despite Troubles, Rail Ridership Surges

Despite its difficulties with derailments, disruptions and delays this month, Metrorail continues to set new marks for ridership.

Thursday was another such milestone, becoming the eighth highest ridership date with 819,979 trips taken. That was 33,519 more than on the comparable day last year.

As with the other high ridership days this week, there was no special event, such as a baseball or football game, to drive up the numbers. Thursday was the annual Dump the Pump Day, when transit advocates encourage people to leave their cars at home, but the string of high ridership dates this week suggests there's more going on.

Also, because it was Dump the Pump Day, Metro had a contest to guess the ridership, and more than 3,500 people entered. The winner, who will get a $100 SmarTrip card, was 10 off from the actual total.

By Robert Thomson  |  June 20, 2008; 12:04 PM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Weekend and Beyond
Next: Why the Money Matters

Comments

Argh... I thought my guess was good. I was off by 151 riders. I guess I shouldn't have ridden yesterday. ;-)

It didn't seem any more crowded than usual.

Posted by: Joe in SS | June 20, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

They don't count you as 142 just for being fat.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I first have to point out an incorrect use of "it's" in the first sentence. I'll give Dr. G the benefit of the doubt and presume he's tired after a hard week on the job (but doesn't the WaPo have any copyeditors left???)!

I admit my heart sinks a little when I see the record-ridership numbers continue, b/c I know Metro sees that as an excuse not to improve service. Why bother improving when your numbers keep going up?

Posted by: PQ | June 20, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

No, WaPo doens't have copy editors. Most of their writing is done by interns.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

The "it's" has still not been corrected. I guess it won't be.

Posted by: PQ | June 21, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Only off by 10. I thought I was close only being off by 1228 (821,207).If the media, including WP, hadn't promoted the contest so much, I probably would have won. :-D

Posted by: Jonathan | June 21, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, good. There it goes.

Posted by: PQ | June 23, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

OMG! A typo! And you found it- and saved us all. Good thing you now get to feel superior to everyone else.

Posted by: Wow | June 23, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse