The Commuter: Going Purple

By the end of the year, Maryland planners hope to have decided on whether to build a light rail or bus rapid transit across Montgomery and Prince George's counties. This week's Commuter graphic walks you through the arguments for and against the proposed Purple Line link.

By Mike McPhate  |  June 30, 2008; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Service Today on Old Bus Line
Next: Doors Open in Tunnel on Six-Car Train

Comments

stupid name, if it's not part of Metro why should it get a colored name?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

The Post was wrong about that. It will be part of Metro, just as in Boston the Green Line is light rail while the Red, Orange, and Blue Lines are heavy rail.

Posted by: tt | June 30, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

No, it wouldn't be part of Metro. It would be part of the MTA (Maryland Transit Administration), the same agency that runs the MARC rail, the Baltimore Metro subway and the Baltimore Light Rail line. It will be interesting to see how well the two agencies (WMATA and the MTA) would coordinate their activities. I certainly don't have much faith in that. Ideally, the line would be heavy rail and it would be part of the Metro system but most heavy rail projects are nonstarters these days because of the huge price tag. I wouldn't likely ride a rapid bus line and although I would be somewhat more likely to ride a light rail line, the value of the incremental benefit of building the line as light rail might not be justified because the cost is so much higher.

Posted by: Metro rider | June 30, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

A little off the subject, but... I'm always annoyed by people that say we should invest in more buses and not light rail b/c buses are more cost effective and blah, blah, blah... I would bet these people don't ride a bus to get on the metro or vice-versa. If they did, they'd appreciate the timeliness and smooth ride of riding on rails...

Posted by: Ricardo Dent | June 30, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I ride a bus from Reston to WFC metro. The bus is the most pleasant part of the ride. The doors close and we never have to off load and wait for the next bus. I only wish the bus continued on 66 to the city. I am one of those people who has experienced BRT (Pittsburgh) and is a big supporter.

Sorta puts a dent in your theory Ricardo.

Posted by: Tom | July 1, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

It should be called the LBL. The "Lightweight Boondoggle Line".

Posted by: Sin V | July 1, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I have to ask the obvious question--would it be faster to take the Purple line from Bethesda to New Carrolton, or to take the Red Line in and Orange Line out? I don't see any time estimates on the purple line's speed.

Posted by: Andrew | July 2, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

The Purple Line is about opening up small-scale neighborhoods to rezoning and redevelopment, not about transit. Areas 800 feet to a quarter-mile were already vulnerable to transit-oriented rezoning. This spring, Gov. O'Malley signed legislation taking the transit-oriented zoning envelope to a half-mile. Sure, the law contains a nod to local zoning. We see how effective that is now.

Posted by: SilverSpringer | July 2, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

If they go with buses will they be LNG or hybrid electric? All's I know is they better not be straight diesel! Hybrid turbo diesel is fine though...

Posted by: dc govvie | July 2, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse