Again With the Metrorail Records

It used to be a noteworthy event when a day's Metrorail ridership broke into the all-time top 10. Now, Metro's cranking out an annoucement about a new landmark just about every day.

So here's the latest:
Tuesday's ridership of 830,307 was the ninth highest in the 32-year history of the Metrorail system. The transit authority says it was 32,295 more trips than on the comparable day last year.

Usually, transit authority announcements note any events on the date that might have contributed to a higher ridership. Not this time. There were no baseball or basketball games, no festivals or rallies. [I originally said here that there was no soccer game either, but Alex B. corrected me: D.C. United did play at RFK on Tuesday night.]

In July, Metrorail ridership has topped 800,000 trips eight times. In June, ridership was higher than 800,000 on 12 dates. While June is usually a high ridership month, this June turned out to be the highest ridership month in the rail system's history.

By Robert Thomson  |  July 16, 2008; 2:07 PM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heat Restrictions on MARC
Next: Calculating the Commute

Comments

There was indeed a soccer game Tuesday night at RFK. It wasn't particularly well attended, but it most certainly did happen.

Posted by: Alex B. | July 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Also on Tuesday, I had some people over for dinner. I think some of them rode metro.

Posted by: VC | July 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't ride Metro anymore because it's too expensive and I fear for my personal safety.

Posted by: Bob | July 16, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Part of the increase in ridership during the previous weekend and this week can be attributed to the influx of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority members who are celebrating the centennial of the organization. I know I had two relatives and two of their friends come to town on Friday for the festivities and they stayed until Sunday morning.

Posted by: Sam | July 16, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

On weekdays other than Monday, ridership has not been below 800,000 even once in more than a month. (Mondays always have lower ridership.)

Welcome to the new normal.

Posted by: Ben Ross | July 16, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Bob, nobody takes metro anymore. It's too crowded.

Posted by: Yogi | July 17, 2008 5:08 AM | Report abuse

Yogi, then who are the almost 900,000 of us? Nobody?

Posted by: Tim | July 17, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I saw the Alpha Kappa Alphas, they should each count as two.

Posted by: Jo | July 18, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Considering that Metro averages 30% of commmunters and 105 of daily trips, one can conclude that a lot more that 830,000 commuterts and travelers are left to fend for themselves on the region's inadequate, under-sized freeway network.

- Still unconvinced that Metro makes freeways unnecessary.

Posted by: ceefer66 | July 20, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse