'Car Free Day' on Monday

In the 21st Century, we have a bunch of annual events in which we are urged to take the bold step of getting out of our cars and stepping into the future for one day. Sponsors hope the one day events -- invitations to take transit, carpool, bike or walk -- will be the start of something big.

CarFreeDay.jpg Ride On's Car Free Day ad. (Thomson)

This Monday is Car Free Day, one of those annual events. The CommuterPageBlog has collected reports on some of the happenings in our region on the day of this worldwide celebration of non-automotive travels.

If you want to figure out how to break the car habit for a day, look here for some suggestions.

The only free travel I can find will be on the District's Circulator bus, operating three very useful routes across central Washington.

But there are a bunch of events this week, this weekend, on Monday and all through next week that you can check out now in these listings.

Just a couple here:
The District has a street celebration scheduled for 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday at 7th and F Streets NW. There will be live music, yoga classes, free T-shirts and other giveaways. Valet bike parking will be available, as will free bike tune-ups. You can also test ride and sign up for SmartBikes.

Metro riders have a chance to win a $100 SmarTrip card in an online video contest.

The transit agency is asking riders on Metrobus, Metrorail or MetroAccess to document their trips on Monday. Three entry categories: 1) most humorous or entertaining, 2) most unusual or unique commute and 3) most informative or best documentary. One winner in each category will be chosen on Oct.9 and each will receive a $100 SmarTrip card.

The videos should be no longer than five minutes. They should be posted to YouTube with the title "Car Free Metro." Entrants should send an e-mail with a link to the video to ontrack@wmata.com. The entry deadline is 5 p.m. Oct. 3.

People who pledge to be car free on Monday can win an iPod nano. See the details here.

And did I mention that next week also is Try Transit Week? Virginia's transit agency has a pledge contest of its own. You can see the details of that one here.

By Robert Thomson  |  September 17, 2008; 12:39 PM ET
Categories:  Biking , Commuting , Driving , Metro , transit
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Silver Spring Getting New Bus Stops
Next: DC Will Check Safety Seats

Comments

How about growing some balls and calling for a car free weekend?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Ever tried to use Metro on weekends? Ever get where you were going in a timely manner if you did?

There's your answer.

Posted by: BOHICA! | September 17, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Ever tried to use Metro on weekends? Yes

Ever get where you were going in a timely manner if you did? Yes

But then again I know how to plan ahead and check train times...

www.wmata.com/mobile

Posted by: Laura | September 17, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

(Incidentally, I don't consider having a 30 or 45 minute wait "timely" so I just drive.)

Posted by: BOHICA! | September 17, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"I was referring to the never-ending track maintenance, perpetual interminable wait for a train, constant service interruptions, etc."

Then why didn't you mention the never-ending track maintenance, perpetual interminable wait for a train, and constant service interruptions? Instead, you posted two snarky questions and then a non-sequitor "there's your answer", as if everyone would know exactly what you were talking about and wholeheartedly jump on your bandwagon of cleverness and faux outrage.

Like the other commenter, I get around on Metro on the weekends just fine. I am also aware that for many people it's not the quickest or most convenient option for weekend travel. If it's not for you, then it's not for you, and that's fine - just bear in mind that Metro also serves a lot of people that are not you.

Posted by: Please make your point clearly | September 17, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I certainly hope mass transit isn't the transportation of the future. A car free day to me is regressing 100 years not progress.

Mass transit is frequently late, almost always crowded, hot, and stuffy. Mass transit has enormous capital expenses and operations and sustainment costs. In off peak times mass transit is also horribly energy inefficient.

Posted by: R. Timm | September 17, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"Progress to me is an electric or hydrogen fuel cell personal automobile preferably powered by the grid from wind, solar, and nuclear."

Progress to me is teleportation. They really need to start working on that. Weren't we suppose to have flying cars by now too? Now that would be cool.

Posted by: Laura | September 17, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

You should take your 45 minute delays and severed routes and like it!

And maybe Laura should be a little bit less of a b1tch and stand outside of Metro stations giving advice, since she clearly is better than everyone else.

Posted by: WMATA Management | September 18, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

When did I ever say I was better than everyone else? I simply answered that I don't usually have much trouble using metro on the weekends because I plan ahead a little (and come prepared with a book or crossword puzzle to pass the time). I have never experienced having to give myself an extra 45 minutes on the weekend to get somewhere on time. 10 mintues perhaps, but BFD. Perhaps I'm just more patient, which apparently makes me better than you. I certainly don't have to resort to calling people names.

And my last post was just a joke, but apparently you sir have no sense of humor.

Posted by: Laura | September 19, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah -- car free day! That means less traffic, right?

Posted by: CBGB | September 19, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse