I-395 Work in District Tonight

The District Department of Transportation plans to install a new overhead sign on Interstate 395 at the 14th Street Bridge tonight from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. The northbound lanes will be closed during the work, and there may be some lane closings on the southbound side as well.

The detours:
-- Northbound traffic will take be diverted onto 14th Street and then to Independence Avenue, make a right turn and then another right onto 9th Street to reach the 9th Street Tunnel and then get back on the Interstate.
-- Southbound drivers will take Exit 4 to Maine Avenue, make a right turn and follow the signs for southbound I-395.

This is part of an 18-month project to improve signs on I-395. It's scheduled to be completed over the next four weeks, DDOT says.

By Robert Thomson  |  September 19, 2008; 6:12 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Driving
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic Alert: Bay Bridge Overnight
Next: The Weekend and Beyond

Comments

Is this the reason for all the orange 395 detour signs near the Van Dorn/Duke St exits? It's been annoying the heck out of me trying to figure out why a detour exists when no road construction seems to be happening...

Posted by: TheMatt | September 19, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"TheMatt": No. Dr. Gridlock is talking about the Case Bridge in DC--you know, when you take I-395 into DC and you curve around to the right after leaving the 14th Street Bridge, you then go over another higher-level bridge after the Potomac Park exit. That's going to be closed for them to hang a sign gantry that is supposed to remedy the problem caused by there currently being no sign at the 12th Street exit.

Posted by: Rich | September 19, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

The Case Bridge closure lasted LONG after 4 AM. By noon on Saturday it was still closed, diverting all traffic onto 14th Street and then leaving drivers to fend for themselves trying to find their way back. A true disaster -- took me an hour to get from the Pentagon back to I-395 near the Capitol.

Posted by: Dave | September 22, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I drove over the Case Bridge this morning and I see that the project this weekend involved hanging only a sign gantry, not any actual signs. This means that there will be another road closure in order to hang the new signs from that gantry. Knowing DC, I fully expect it to be on Thursday night because that's when the Nationals play their final home game of the season and the Capitals play their first home preseason game. I think DC intentionally schedules these projects so as to inconvenience people because then they'll say "you should have taken Metro."

Posted by: Rich | September 23, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, the new 12th Street sign was up this morning, but in typical DC bonehead style, they failed to include any indication that the right lane on the Case Bridge is an exit-only lane. One of the big problems since they took down the old signs has been the lack of any such indication, as the out-of-towners drive along and then try to cut left (across the other exit lane) at the last second to stay on the highway.

Posted by: Rich | September 25, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse