Roads, Transit Center Reopened

All the roads that had been closed for this morning's ceremony at the Pentagon have reopened, the Virginia Department of Transportation reports.

Also back in business is the Pentagon Transit Center. The Metrobuses that had been detoured to Pentagon City Station are back on their regular routes.

By Robert Thomson  |  September 11, 2008; 1:28 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Commuting , Congestion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arlington Streets Reopening
Next: Yellow Line Bridge Closing For Weekend

Comments

I am still frustrated with this morning's commute. Nowhere was Rt. 110 specified as a road closure, as I checked and doubled checked before leaving home. And, because I am hearing impaired I need this information visually. I took me nearly two hours to travel what normally takes 20 mintues, and I drove 23 miles out of the way trying alternate routes to drive from Old Towne to Rosslyn. The cops and all other drivers were as irritated as I was. I even had a discussion with a motorcop about this fact, which was useless because he had an ego and flaunting his right to give me a ticket. Not to demoralize the importance of the 9/11 Pentagon Event, there needs to be better communication for the weekday road closures. It would have been nice to have been excused for the day if all such closures were necessary. Next time, I am staying home...better for me and the other drivers, especially the one who clipped my side mirror.

Posted by: Jennifer Burke | September 11, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Re Jennifer's comment: "Nowhere was Rt. 110 specified as a road closure"

In fact, I heard from the media this morning that 110 was open, therefore a way through the area. Luckily, I live north of there so therefore was not affected by the closings on my trip to Arlington.

Posted by: Historian | September 11, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

110 was open (going North at least) at 9:50 AM.

Posted by: Matt | September 11, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

In addition to things not mentioned, a lot of the intersections on Route 1 (Jeff Davis Hwy) in Route 1 were closed, allowing no turns or access from roads adjacent to Rt 1.

Police at every intersection along with cones, and traffic lights set to blink on Rt 1. With the police presence and obvious plan, why was this not announced with the other closings?

Posted by: Matt | September 11, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, it was about 9:15 a.m. when I finally reached the exit ramp from GW Parkway northbound, to merge onto 395 South (on the Virgina side of the 14th Street Bridge) traveling south in the far right lane to pick up the exit for the northbound Rt. 110 to Rossyln. Arlington County Cops and VDOT snow plows were blocking all the right lanes, including the ramp to northbound 110, leaving the two left lanes open. (I rolled down my window to ask the cop why Rt. 110 was closed since it was not a specified road closure for this event, and he directed me to carry on south on 395.) This forced me to go back toward Old Towne via Rt. 1 south. I was trying to cut through the MacDonald's parking lot to pick up a side road that intersects Glebe Road when I got clipped on the left by the woman from Maryland. I will be glad when this day is over.

Posted by: Jennifer Burke | September 11, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I echo Matt's concern, I ran into the same sort of coned-off intersections on Glebe Road. I was on the Metrobus 10A line going north towards the Pentagon, expecting to have to get off at Pentagon City instead, as Metro had announced. Instead, when we reached the intersection of Mt Vernon and Glebe Road, police were not letting any traffic onto Arlington Ridge, even though that street was not listed as a closure. The bus driver seemed as surprised as anyone.

The bus was forced onto a clogged Glebe Road, and was unable to get us any closer to a Metro station. We were told we had to get off and walk a mile and a half to Crystal City Metro.

Someone in Arlington County obviously changed their minds about road closures at the last minute, and forgot to inform the public or Metro. Nice going.

Posted by: Chris | September 11, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

We have this page from Arlington County which most news organizations republished:

Which does not mention that all of 395 south lanes would be closed at 830am, but then we have this PDF, with closings listed all over the place, which is a mess to read, which does list it:

A mess. Then a Washington Post page which listed mainly the ones above, with a link to a graphic which said that Rt 1 access closed by 20th and 23rd streets (didn't mention that 27th was as well).

Posted by: Matt | September 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You actually think that all these organizations (VDOT, Arlington Police, VA State Police, Secret Service, Federal Protective Service, FBI, and who knows who else) can actually coordinate and work together, and let each other know about their road closure plans? AND that they will then communicate it to us peons trying to get to work, or even care enough to try?

Are you new here?

And now just imagine these same groups trying to coordinate an evacuation if one should become necessary, adding in MPD to this mix. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Posted by: BOHICA! | September 11, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Of course I dont, however, both of these are at least posted on Arlington County's website, so you would think they would at least get it right.

And yes, I'm new here, in the sense that I've been here 4 years (which I would consider new).

I still do not understand why it was necessary to close 395 South while the POTUS was at the Pentagon. That seems over the top.

Posted by: Matt | September 11, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Well I had no problems this morning. Instead of picking up 110 from the Pentagon on my way to Rosslyn, I took 27 to 50.

Took 20 minutes! Next time plan ahead.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

That's great Anonymous. The monument to your greatness and planning prowess is being planned for as we speak.

Posted by: Brilliant! | September 12, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Hmm...on a day like yesterday, when warnings and notices were being given from all sides are saying MAJOR EVENT INVOLVING THE PREZ, I'd have stuck to secondary surface streets from the get go. There are many many roads from Old Town to Rosslyn (not to mention the possible option of Metro'ing). The whole tangle of roads around the Pentagon was a prime candidate for being closed, and while they may not have mentioned 110 as being closed (I saw the PDF yesterday morning and it looked closed to me), common sense would tell me just stay the heck away from the area cuz they change their minds anyways at the drop of a hat.

I sympathize with you on the needing information visually for deaf and hearing impaired people. The level of visual information in this area on all systems (road, train, etc) is pathetic, when it's present at all.

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | September 12, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse