I-66 Eastbound Lanes Closed in Gainesville

Updated 4:09 p.m.

All eastbound lanes of Interstate 66 are now closed at Route 15 in Gainesville, Va. In addition to the closure on I-66, southbound Route 29 traffic is being diverted to Heathcote Boulevard, in order to continue onto Route 15.

A section of Rte. 29 was already closed for the roadwork, but it will remain so until 5 a.m. or 6 a.m. Tuesday due to the accident.

The accident occurred around 12:30 p.m. when the beam fell from a bridge injuring one worker, according to a report by InsideNoVa.com.

By Mike McPhate  |  October 6, 2008; 1:57 PM ET
Categories:  Commuting , Driving , Safety
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Inquiry About Metro Parking
Next: Accident Closes Lanes on Lee Jackson Memorial Highway

Comments

"Eastbound I-66 can go south on I-66 but not north." Do the writers intentionally try to mislead the readers? Isn't there a better way to write descriptive sentences?

Posted by: adjjones | October 6, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"Eastbound I-66 can go south on I-66, but not north."
I agree, what exactly does that mean? This has to be a typo.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I am assuming the second I-66 means Rt. 29.

Posted by: xtr | October 6, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"Eastbound I-66 can go south on Rte. 29, but not north." Really not that hard to understand the typo.

Posted by: Anonimoose | October 6, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I assume I understand what I infer with the context of the connotation, but the information as written is probably not accurate.

Posted by: Strunk&Wagnalls | October 6, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Eastbound I-66 can go south on I-66, but not north."
I agree, what exactly does that mean? This has to be a typo.

No that's a WAPO

Posted by: Askgees | October 6, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

If I didn't live a half mile from the I-66 exit 43 exit ramp at U.S. 29, I would have no idea what Mr. Gridlock is trying to say. Dr. G, do you read what you write before posting it ?!

After I added what you obviosuly should have included (i.e, say that I-66 eastboud traffic can exit south onto U.S. 29 but not north).

BUT ... The I-66/U.S. 15 interchange is at exit 40, Haymarket, not Gainesville. That is, U.S. 15 is nowhere near the scene of the accident. And that can't reasonably be called a typo. Maybe you should buy a map ?

Tom

Posted by: Tom, Gainesville | October 6, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for catching the error. It's been corrected.

Posted by: Get There | October 6, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to also mention that U.S. 15 does NOT run east-west. Just like U.S. 29 and all odd-numbered federal highways, U.S. 15 runs north-south. I know, picky picky. But at least get your directs right. Again, investing in a map might be a good idea.

Posted by: Tom, Gainesville | October 6, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse