Inquiry About Metro Parking

Metro riders, I'm asking for your advice about the current parking situation at the Metro lots and garages. My starting point is the inquiry below about the odds of parking later in the morning at Vienna, but I'm interested in what you have to say about all the locations across the region.

Metro says parking is down at the outer stations. Does that match your experience?

Dear Dr. Gridlock:
I need to drive to the Vienna Metro station and park there for the day to take the train in, but there will be occasions that I will not be able to get to the station until about 9:30 a.m. What are the chances parking will still be available at that time? None, slim, decent, good?

By Robert Thomson  |  October 6, 2008; 6:48 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Union Station Centennial
Next: I-66 Eastbound Lanes Closed in Gainesville

Comments

I'm not familiar with this station in particular, but if this person can hold off getting to the station until 10:00, they can utilize the guaranteed parking spaces. But don't park in the space until 10:00 - I've seen the Metro police patrol the lot and give a ticket to someone who parked at 9:59, eventhough most of guaranteed spaces were empty.

Posted by: BDK | October 6, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I think it would help if the reserved parking became unreserved at 9:30 or even at 9:00 am, or to have two levels, some spots reserved to 9am and others to 10am. We are trying to get people out of their cars and onto metro trains. How can we do this if they cannot find parking?

Posted by: chuck | October 6, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

You have virtually no chance of parking at East Falls Church after about 7:15am, unless it's Christmas Eve or something. I suppose that's why you can pay to reserve a spot.

Posted by: B | October 6, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I have the same problem at Shady Grove. I have a bi-weekly Dr.'s appt. that gets out around 11, but I can't take the Metro into work then because there is no parking anywhere (not at Shady Grove, Rockville, Twinbrook, White Flint, Grosvenor...). So I end up not going to the Metro until after 2 when spaces start to open up and then have to work until 9 or 10 at night. I have not noticed any decrease in parking in any of the Montgomery County stations I mentioned.

Posted by: Germantown, MD | October 6, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the letter writer should just show up at the Vienna Metro garage at 9:30am and see how full it is.

Some people really overcomplicate things.

Posted by: Bob | October 6, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I live near the Vienna metro and have had some luck finding open reserved spots after 10 AM.

I recently got there at noon, and everything was full, except for a lot of metered spaces near the north kiss-n-ride. They’re a dollar an hour for up to 12 hours, payable in quarters only. So if all else fails, bring a pile of quarters. It’ll be a lot more expensive than the garage, but at least you’ll get a space. (As you might imagine, most street parking around there is permit only.)

Posted by: Rich | October 6, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

WFC will likely have parking at that time.

Posted by: Tom T. | October 6, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

As someone who may be moving up near Shady Grove, what time does the parking lot there fill up? Do I have to be there by 7, 7:30, or 8 to get a spot. Does anyone here know?

Posted by: Linus Van Pelt | October 6, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

For those trying to find parking at Shady Grove later in the morning, consider parking at the Germantown Transit Center (located at Germantown Rd. and Aircraft Dr., just west of Exit 15 on I-270) and taking the Express 100 bus from the lot to Shady Grove Metro. The bus runs every 15 minutes during the day, and only takes 15 mintues to get from the transit lot to the metro. For the trip home, the bus also runs until 11:30pm, so no worries about working late and not being able to catch a bus. I know for some this may be out of the way, but for others this might be an option. You can also save money on parking this way.

"I recently got there at noon, and everything was full, except for a lot of metered spaces near the north kiss-n-ride. They’re a dollar an hour for up to 12 hours, payable in quarters only. So if all else fails, bring a pile of quarters."

Rockville metro also has a lot of these metered spaces, so that's another option if you're desperate. It's located on the North-East corner of MD-355 and E. Middle Ln.

Posted by: Laura | October 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I hope the person who wrote the letter knows that there's parking on both sides of the Vienna station. From what I can tell the lot on the north side and one of the garages are completely full by that time of the morning.

Posted by: Matt M | October 6, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse