Man Struck, Killed by Train at Suitland Station

Update, 3:28 p.m.: Normal service has resumed on the Green Line, according to a statement from Metro.

Original Post: A man was fatally struck by a six-car train just before noon today at Maryland's Suitland Station. A preliminary investigation suggests the man intended to be on the tracks, according to a statement from Metro.

The station was closed for about 45 minutes while police and firefighters investigated the incident.

Green-line riders in the area should expect 15-minute delays in both directions through mid-afternoon as trains are single-tracked between Branch Avenue to Naylor Road stations.

By Mike McPhate  |  October 10, 2008; 1:57 PM ET
Categories:  Commuting , Metro , Safety
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Weekend and Beyond
Next: The Adventures That Could Have Been

Comments

A preliminary investigation suggests the man intended to be on the tracks, according to a statement from Metrorail.

I'm amazed at the detective powers of the Metro police. I just wonder why their on track to set a new record for crime. This is what I call, talking out of both sides of your face.

Posted by: askgees | October 10, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

ROFL his life was reduced to a 45min delay for the rest of us....

I hope it was worth it for him...

Posted by: YAWN | October 10, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Suicide Fan | October 10, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"In Japan, if you commit suicide in front of a train, your family is forced to repay the lost revenue to the train company for the time it takes to clean up the mess."

...wow, on top of the funeral costs? That's really rough, man.

Posted by: jfc1 | October 10, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to commit suicide, why wreak havoc for the rest of us?

Posted by: Ashley | October 10, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

you guys are jerks, that was my family, show some respect

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

escuse me! i know who that was and that is not funny so all of you rude people can go somewhere with that humor

Posted by: ... | October 10, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

did he attend edison?

Posted by: Mie | October 10, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

yes he when to Edison

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I have thought, many a time, of jumping in front of a train. My sister, who is in the mental health system (as a consumer/client) almost always knows these people who succeed in doing that.

Perhaps, if we showed a little more kindness to those who have fragile souls, then we wouldn't have people jumping in front of trains, or off bridges and buildings. Or shooting their families and then themselves

Posted by: unknown | October 11, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I am amazed at how cruel and inconsiderate people can be. A man is DEAD. Clearly he was going through something that he felt was worth his LIFE.
I pray that those who think this man was selfish never have to experience a close friend take their own life.

R.IP. LIL BILL.
I LOVE YOU
I MISS.YOU
MY BROTHER.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

This world is very depressing.I am sorry for the family and friends of this young fellow,All u people worrired about time need to have consideration for the dead.

Posted by: nicole | October 12, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Yes, that is rude! He was my cousin and to say such mean things about the deceased shows the maturity level of people! We all can come to a point in our lives where we feel like giving up...and if we don't seek the proper help and Our God, we will. RIP baby cousin and until next time...I love you!

Please be considerate because you would want the same respect if it were your loved one!

Posted by: Big Cousin | October 12, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I would like to offer my condolences to the family and to all of his friends. I was on a bus that was at the metro station whan the incident occured. I have to say that I was very very shaken. To the point of tears. I can only imagine what this young man could have been going thru in his life, but I will pray for his soul and and his family. R.I.P................

Posted by: Anonoymous | October 12, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

what was his name? i have friends in suitland

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT COMMENTED ON THIS ARTICLE AND WERE VERY RUDE TO THE DEATH OF THIS YOUNG MAN I WANT U TO KNOW THAT I AM A PERSON THAT KNEW THIS YOUNG MAN AND I BELIEVE IN KARMA SO BY U LAUGHING ABOUT THIS U WILL GET URS BACK AND EVEN WORSE...................WHAT IF THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN U AND UR FAMILY AND FRIENDS WOULD THE FEEELINGS AND EMOTIONS STILL BE THE SAME......NOT A GOOD FEELING

MY CONDOLENSES 2 THE FAMILY MAY GOD BLESS U IN THIS DIFFICULT TIME

RIP SON

Posted by: MIZZ SKITTLES | October 12, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man. It grieves my spirit everytime I think about the state of mind JC had to have been in to commit such a act. Instead of criticizing, disrespecting and/or judging; PRAY, PRAY for the lost, pray for the confused, pray for all our youth. Our young black men in particular are hurting and they need our prayers!

Posted by: Sorrowful in NC | October 12, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

it's said how ignorant people are

rest in peace Bill
you were truly loved
by bre

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

sad*

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry about what stupid ass people say in there comments when my boyfriend, Kevin Thomas, was killed last year people also made wreckless ass comment just ignore it he's in a better place.

Posted by: LaTasha | October 12, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

how rude can people be bill will live on in heaven in a better place. what u mean waz it worth it ? da boy is dead and gone for no reason he ended his life due to whateva reasons he had. we need to learn from this. fck all ya hataz rest in peace bill da whole edison loves u. fck others go 2 hell ya will b mad if someone went on ya family members like dat.

Posted by: mickey | October 13, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Is this Joseph/Bill with dreadlocks? please don't let it be. this is very sad even when i first heard of it i cried a little because he must of bee going through some rough stuff to do something like this.

I really do hope that he is i a better place smiling down at us

Posted by: PERisha | October 13, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

I knew this person and I find it offensive the way some of you see humor in this. The person you are joking about was a good student and always had a smile on his face. He was kind and one of my best students. I'm just trying to come to grips about why he did this. Put yourself in his family and friends' places before you make such ignorant comments. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I am his blood sister for all of yoju who dont know he only had 2 blood sisters my older sister and i LiL Miss crazy think you cuz u my best friend nd i no he was like a brother to you..everyone making cruel comments thats not even necessary if your comment is rude then dont post it that was my brother yes it was Joesph with dreads Bill or Lil Bill as his friends call him...that was my 1 and only brother we talk about almost anything and it hurts me to say that i dont even know what was goin through that day...I loved my brother dearly and i can tell you right now from what a witness had said and the family member driving the train said HE DID NOT DO IT ON PURPOSE my brother always has his madd times and he gets over them my brother put his leg out he wasnt goin to jump he lost his balance and fell he was trying to clear his mind and thats why he went to the station in the first place...

Posted by: Lil Sister | October 13, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh and i also would like to thank the people for their condolensces and as for the people making jokes put urself in my position or in my families postion better yet put yourself in my mother's position she just lost one of her children how would you feel if you lost someone you gave birth to or someone that was absolutely close just think about it and maybe you wouldnt be so cruel to this situation

Posted by: Lil Sister | October 13, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I know he did not do this on purpose, I hung out with him and one of his co-workers thursday night and we made plans for the weekend.I started growing concerned when he didn't answer his phone. I am crushed absolutely smashed to pieces. I was praying all night thinking "Maybe he just lost his phone again" I still don't want to believe this I really liked him and he was a great person that always made me smile.

My heart goes out to to him ad his family for his losses ad if anyone could let me know about memorial serivces I would greatly appreciated so I can have a chance to say goodbye.

He was a great guy.

Posted by: robie0_55@hotmail.com | October 13, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

People have no compassion for other.

RIP lil bill

Posted by: Marcus | October 13, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The time I knew of Bill we had our differences...but all round he was a up standing guy...if his big sis needs anything my time and heart goes out to u Jae...RIP BILL

Posted by: KING | October 13, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

First let me start off by sayin please disregard the ignorance, some people have no consideration whatsoever but I knew Lil Bill from Edison. My prayers & condolences go out to his family. May God continue to strength you all during your time of grief. Remember to cherish those you adore and every chance you get,let someone know how much you love them. Bill is now in a better place, safe from harm & watching over us. I love all my Edison Fam!!!

Posted by: Moneick | October 14, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

If someone feels the need to kill themselves, at least have the common decency to do it away from public transportation and other places that would impact other peoples lives.

find a quiet place and just do it... No need to make a show out of it.

To those that obviously knew the person... Sorry for your loss.

To those that were delayed getting to work, Im sorry for the extra hour you had to work into the evening...

Posted by: Yawn | October 14, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

What did he graduate from Friendship?

Posted by: Ms. Cole | October 14, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

He did not kill himself he would NEVER do that. If you don't know him and you are criticizes the way he died you are a sick person and you will never know the pain that we feel in our hearts, he had freinds a family and a gf that cared for him so much.
Last thing we need is ignorant ppl making it hurt worse because you didn't know what a great person he was. I have a hole in my heart that will always be empty.

Posted by: perisha | October 14, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

WOW people are unbelievable! Even when asked by the family, we are still greeted by ignorant individuals with too much time on their hands leaving idiotic comments. Please be respectful to my family. Yes Belle I'm family too. I'm not the blood sister, but I'm the cousin/god sister, so what. Respect my family. I'm not trying to battle it out with anyone on here, but at a time like this it really burns me up to read some of these comments. my heartfelt condolences to my family.I love you and my prayers are with you.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I worked with this wonderful guy and will miss him dearly. Still trying to make sense of if all. My prayers go out to the family.

Posted by: wiggy | October 14, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I worked with this man. He was a hard worker and an even better person he will be terribly missed. God Bless his family.

RIP Rasta

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

RIP.... Lil Bill.
You will be missed because you were such a kind, sweet sole. Wonderful guy.

Posted by: PJ | October 15, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"The people who insult this great man are only doing so because they are jealous and lonely and they will lash out at people who have what they don't."

An education? Respect for freedom of speech? Irritation at holier than thou family and friends who barge onto this TRANSPORTATION blog and hijack it, condemning anyone who dares say that which should be said: HIS SELFISH DECISION DIRECTLY IMPACTED A WHOLE BUNCH OF INNOCENT COMMUTERS ADVERSELY?

I am sorry this man felt that this was the only solution to his problems. Suicide is not the way. Drugs and violence are not the way. Black on black crime is not the way. Jesus is the only way. Now ya'll sit down with your families and get this through their thick heads so that another "Kill Bill" tragedy will not unfold.

Posted by: Bible thumper | October 15, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse