Metro Alert: Red Line Delays at Van Ness-UDC

Update, 11:05 a.m.: Metro has lifted this advisory.

Original Post: Metro warns passengers to expect Red Line delays in both directions this morning at Van Ness-UDC after an earlier train malfunction.

By Mike McPhate  |  October 15, 2008; 9:11 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting , Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Adventures That Could Have Been
Next: Metro Paving at Glenmont

Comments

20 minute delays heading to Metro Center. HELLO?!?! What is wrong with this system. It cannot be counted on at all. These delays happen all the time. What a joke the Metro is in this city.

Posted by: Joker | October 15, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Just another average day on METRO. The system is falling apart. It takes longer to read the electronic signs describing elevator outage, than the time waiting for the next train! Current general manager didn't do it, but he must feel like taking over the Titanic. System needs money and common sense management.
I wonder where all that property tax money is going from all those new condos downtown DC? ( Of course, we all know where 45 milliion went!)

Posted by: prontomac | October 15, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

And they wonder why people drive even when they live next to a metro. I could have driven someone to work this morning and it would have taken 5 minutes. Instead it took them 50 minutes.

Posted by: Joker | October 15, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Hmm I was on the train this morning about that time and didn't have any delays. But then again I was on a Glenmont bound train and got off at Bethesda.

Joker, I'm sure you are exaggerating. A 5 minute drive in this area is about 2 miles. So the person you are referring to must have been going 1 stop. 50 minutes to go one stop? I doubt it. I walk to metro, go three stops, and walk to the office. Total travel time is 30 minutes door to door. Doesn't change much from day to day, even when there are delays (which is rare for me atleast).

Posted by: Laura | October 15, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Woodley Park Metro to Watergate. Typical Travel time 20 min (inc. transfer at metro center to orange/blue) plus 5 min walk.

Today, approx 50 min. Yes, true.

Drive. Hop on Rock Creek and Potomac Speedway, I mean Parkway, approx. 5 minutes.

Posted by: Joker | October 15, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Joker, If that's the case then why don't you make it a practice to check the metro website for delays before leaving (or if you have internet access on your phone www.wmata.com/mobile) and drive when there are delays? You obviously have a short alternate route for your commute.

I agree that it is annoying that metro often has these types of delays, but it does nothing to sit and complain about it constantly (I don't mean just you, but everyone that loves to do so on this blog). Wouldn't it be less of a headache to simply plan ahead, check in advance for delays, and have alternate routes planned out if your normal route is impacted?

Posted by: Laura | October 15, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Check in advance for delays? The "notifications" come too late, if they come at all. Metro is notorious for their poor communications to riders. They cannot even figure out when it's a Ozone Red Alert Day in a timely manner!

Are you the "Metro spokesperson" Dr. G. and the WaPo "Transportation Team" are always parroting?

Posted by: Seriously? | October 16, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse