Metro Sets Sunday Ridership Record
Metro officials say 616,324 people rode the system yesterday, surpassing the previous record by more than 75,000. Ridership swelled as crowds descended on the Mall yesterday afternoon for the inauguration-opening concert, which was estimated to draw more than 400,000 people.
Metro deployed workers over the weekend to help out-of-towners navigate the system, and more than 8,000 workers will staff Inauguration Day, as agency officials gird to transport the largest crowds in its 32-year history, as many as 1.6 million people.
A ranking of top five Sunday ridership days:
1. 1-18-09 (Inauguration opening ceremony): 616,324
2. 7-4-99 (Fourth of July): 540,945
3. 7-4-93 (Fourth of July): 505,157
4. 1-17-93 (Clinton inaugural event): 440,138
5. 4-25-93 (Lesbian/Gay Rights March): 413,312
The comments to this entry are closed.