Union Station Evacuated After Smoke Alarm Set Off
D.C. firefighters responded to a grease fire at McDonald's restaurant at Union Station today and the station was evacuated as a safety precaution, but there were no injuries.
The fire started because of overheated grease, said department spokesman Alan Etter.
As a precaution, people in the station, packed with inauguration travelers making their way home, were evacuated.
David Joseph, 15, visiting from Concord, N.C., was waiting for his train and had just left the restaurant. He said he and his mother decided to go shopping because of the fire.
Matt and Charlotte Robinson came to the District from Los Angeles on the train and even though fire snarled their plans for a moment it didn't mar their trip.
"We had a wonderful time," she said just before the all-clear was given.
-- Hamil Harris and Theola Labbé-DeBose
January 21, 2009; 1:02 PM ET
Categories: Advisories , Metro
Save & Share: Previous: Accident Snarls I-95 SB in Prince George's County
Next: District Announces Thursday Street Closings
Posted by: zizzy | January 21, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.