Commuter Alert: Orange Line Delays Continue

This is going to be a bad day for Orange Line riders. The vacuum truck that derailed this morning and caused major delays has derailed again. That means riders between Ballston and West Falls Church can expect delays this afternoon, officials said.

The second derailment occurred at 1:56 p.m., just 10 minutes after the morning situation had cleared, spokesman Steven Taubenkibel said. Trains will be sharing a sincle track between East Falls Church and West Falls Church until personnel can get the truck back on the tracks.

The derailment this morning caused major delays on the Orange Line and trains had to share a single track between Clarendon and Foggy Bottom. That ended at 1:46 p.m., he said. The vacuum truck, which had been used for routine track maintenance work downtown and was headed back to the West Falls Church rail yard, derailed at 4:30 a.m. whyen its wheels popped off the tracks at the Court House Metrorail station.tro to single-track trains.
-- Lena H. Sun

By Robert Thomson  |  February 19, 2009; 2:42 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland Studying Route 5 Improvements
Next: Plugging Metro's Budget Gap: Reader Ideas

Comments

Absolutely worthless. When will the Board hold Catoe accountable?

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | February 19, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Incredible.

Posted by: spidey103 | February 19, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Operation VacuSuck has failed miserably today.

Posted by: Axel2 | February 19, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

wow! they managed to hit the morning and evening commutes!!!!

Posted by: fritz_pj | February 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, if I routinely went over budget, failed at maintaining equipment, and routinely mucked up my job in general, and then decided to replace new electronic signs with newer flat screen TV's wasting stimulus dollars and generally thumbing my nose at the public, I'd be out on my keyster.

What or who is keeping Catoe in?

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

And no eAlert yet this afternoon either.

Posted by: nashpaul | February 19, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Grggh. Being late for work is one thing, but being late to get home is another. Why metro? Why must you consistently SUCK!? Thank god my employer pays for this piece because it's not worth my money.

Posted by: Graham2 | February 19, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

ok. now THIS is something to complain about! Let's hope the money they are screaming for will prevent these incidents from happening. I got in late because of you today METROOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Posted by: cbmuzik | February 19, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Comical. I don't take Metro to work normally but I noticed a lot more cars on the road this morning as a result of this problem. Now I guess my evening commute will be screwed up as well. Might as well just work late...

Posted by: thetan | February 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

It took me two hours to get to work in Georgetown this morning from the New Carrollton station. I bailed the orange line at L'Enfant, switched to yellow, got off at Gallery Place, switched to red, got out of the godforsaken system at Farragut North, and walked to Georgetown.

If it takes me two hours to get back to New Carrollton tonight, I may honestly flip out.

Posted by: jmnovakovic | February 19, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

i hate you, vacuum truck.

Posted by: stairs | February 19, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

stairs, I think you meant to say "you suck, vacuum truck"

Posted by: nashpaul | February 19, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Catoe has to be held accountable!

Posted by: jmadison2 | February 19, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

nashpaul, thanks for that! I was feeling really miserable about the whole situation until your comment made me laugh.

Posted by: DCLiz | February 19, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse