Confess Your Commuter Sins

Washington Post reporter Eric Weiss writes today about motorists who can't help but break the HOV rules, with some amassing as many as 10 violations. It seems the area's infuriating traffic can drive even good people to behave badly.

Do you ever break the rules? Sometimes the best way to ease your guilt is to unburden yourself.

Well, here's your confession booth. Do you ever behave poorly during your commute? Do you drink coffee on the Metro or fail to give up your seat to the elderly? Do you tailgate or speed? Confess your sins in the comments below.

By Mike McPhate  |  February 15, 2009; 12:58 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Weekend and Beyond
Next: Detours at Gainesville Interchange

Comments

I "pray" selfish drivers get a ticket.

Posted by: gpsman | February 15, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scarlett_85 | February 15, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes I'll ride that right lane that I KNOW is getting ready to end all the way out. I probably only get home 30 seconds sooner.

PS - scarlett_85, I think you are an "aggressive driver" too. ;-)

Posted by: ImNotScott | February 15, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm not really confessing, since I didn't do anything wrong, but that's what the VA police thought. Leaving DC, I was driving to Pentagon City and got on the HOV lane. I couldn't get off. I kept looking for an exit, with Pentagon City behind me. When the policewoman stopped me, I showed her the Nordstrom bag and said I was trying to go there and make a return but couldn't get off. She led me off the HOV where I turned around to go back to Pentagon City. And I got a big fat ticket. She said I could appeal it and that the judge would probably believe me, but I didn't want to take the time off work. I just paid it. As a DC native, I routinely get lost or turned around every time I step foot in Virginia.

Posted by: chelita | February 15, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm an "extreme" commuter, Fredericksburg to Bethesda, so slugging, carpooling are not options. Moving's not an option either. I took public transport for over a year (VRE to metro, change trains, then bus) but 3 hours each way was just too much. So I bought a hybrid when my old car died, so I could save on gas. I was too late for the special plates that allow hybrids on HOV on 95.

Then someone told me, "Oh no...they let ALL hybrids on the HOV lane!" So off I went, for almost 2 years. State troopers kept waving me through the checkpoint, and all was well with the world.

Until the day it was not. A trooper tailgated me for almost a mile before turning on his lights and pulling me over and giving me that 1st $125 ticket. Oh well. it was great while it lasted.

Posted by: cwhere | February 15, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes I actually obey the traffic rules and use my turn signal, turn on my headlights at night and in the rain, do not make illegal U-turns, etc... I seem to be the rebel on the road as a result!

Posted by: tounces | February 16, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I spend three hours per day commuting and could easily save 30 minutes per day by cheating and using HOV. However, I seem to have a rare disease called “civility.” I don’t cheat because I know how mad I get watching others cheat. I admit to extreme satisfaction when cheaters get caught and wish more of them would be pulled over and ticketed. Every cheating driver costs law-abiding drivers even more commuting time.

Book ‘em Dan-o.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | February 17, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I've stretched the definition of "airport business" often to use the Dulles Access Road. And I often make the illegal U-turn at Pennsylvania and Minnesota Avenues, which I can assure you is posted for no reason other than to make it more difficult to get to SE freeway from DC 295.

Other than that, I try to obey the rules, speed limits notwithstanding.

Posted by: thetan | February 18, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"When I see an aggressive driver coming up fast behind me (and I'm in the right lane), I speed up and match the car next to me, thus pissing off the aggressive driver. Ha!"

The last time some idiot did that to me, I called the hot line and reported him as a drunk driver. It was big fun watching the jerk get pulled over.

HA!