Montgomery Considering Bus Fare Increases
And parking fee increases, too. The county council has scheduled a hearing for 7:30 tonight on whether to impose these fares and fees to help balance the budget. The hearing is in the third floor hearing room at the Council Office Building, 100 Maryland Ave., Rockville.
This is what the council is considering for Ride On and Metrobus fares.
* Suspend free rides for seniors and people with disabilities for one year, starting in July. The half fare rate would be back in effect for the year.
* Suspend the Kids Ride Free Program for the fiscal year starting in July. The Youth Cruiser Pass, which allows unlimited trips on Ride On at a monthly cost of $10, would be retained.
* Suspend for the C Pass that allows county employees to use Ride On for free for the fiscal year. The Government Employees Transit Incentive (GET-IN) Program, which gives a $35 per month discount on transit in exchange for foregoing parking privileges, would stay.
Changes to Bethesda Parking Lot District Fees for the year starting in July.
* Raise the price of on-street short-term spaces from 75 cents to a dollar per hour. The price of off-street short-term spaces would remain at 75 cents an hour.
* Raise the price of long-term spaces from 50 cents to 75 cents per hour.
* Raise the price of Parking Convenience Stickers from $95 to $140 a month.
Changes to Parking Fees Outside Parking Lot Districts for the year starting in July.
* Rates applied in the North Bethesda Transportation Management District would be applied to all areas outside parking lot districts.
* The price of short-term spaces would rise from 60 cents to 75 cents an hour.
* The price of long-term spaces would rise from 45 cents to 50 cents.
• The price of Parking Convenience Stickers in those areas would rise from $85 to $95 a month.
April 21, 2009; 5:02 PM ET
Categories: Driving , Transportation Politics , transit
Save & Share: Previous: Overnight Paving in Front of Fort Belvoir
Next: Commuter Alert: Service Back to Normal on Metro's Red Line
The comments to this entry are closed.