Watch Out for Bicyclists on "National Bike to Work Day"

Commuters all over the D.C. area are hopping on their bicycles Friday for the annual "National Bike to Work Day," so drivers should be careful as they navigate morning and evening commutes.

The day celebrates biking, fitness and the environment. The Washington Area Bicylist Association has set up 26 pit stops, so bikers can grab a drink or breakfast. There are also other events scheduled for various locations around the region.

Share your plans for commuting on "National Bike to Work Day" below.

By Washington Post Editors  |  May 15, 2009; 7:18 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Biking , Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic Alert: H Street NE Blocked in Capitol Hill
Next: Traffic Alert: Park Rd. NW Closed by Downed Trees

Comments

I bike to work everyday, so please watch out for bikes everyday. Biggest reason: I like to hug my 3 year old son when I get home from work.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | May 15, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I am also an every day commuter, so I echo the previous comments about watching out every day.
Today was definitely much more crowded than usual. I stopped by the Vienna pit stop, and their bike racks were full up at 6:45am! Great to see everyone getting out there.

Posted by: briandau | May 15, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I had a wonderful commute into DC with the Takoma Park convoy. Big thanks to WABA for making this all happen and for sharing safest routes and biking advice! Also thanks to the drivers out there today...not one horn during our ride.

Posted by: sharrisjr | May 15, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

The Bethesda stop was great. Thanks to all of the event sponsors and volunteers! Lets all hope for a sunny evening.

Posted by: elnicho | May 15, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks" to the pack of cyclists who ran the stop sign on First Street near the Union Station metro stop, refusing to allow pedestrians to cross IN A MARKED CROSSWALK while you all blew through the stop sign! We really appreciate your consideration and courtesy, and we'll remember it the next time you see when we're in our cars.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | May 16, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I love Bike to Work Day since there are more targets of opportunity.

Posted by: sheepherder | May 18, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse