New Delays on Green Line

A cracked rail discovered at 12:58 p.m. near the West Hyattsville Metrorail station is causing mid-day delays on the Green Line, Metro says.

While Metro track crews make repairs, Green Line trains are sharing a single track between the Fort Totten and Prince George's Plaza Metrorail stations. Riders may experience delays up to 20 minutes.

Metro expects to complete the repair by later afternoon, however, delays may continue into the afternoon rush hour period.

The later it goes, the more likely it is to be an issue for people trying to reach the baseball game by taking the Green Line to Navy Yard Station near the Anacostia waterfront. No matter what, you should leave earlier than normal if you're going to the 7:05 p.m. game. At midday, downtown trains are crowded. The Red Line trains are moving at a reduced speed and it's a pretty long wait between trains.

A commenter on the previous entry has this advice about traveling to Nationals Park tonight:
"When you leave the Nats game tonight be prepared to walk to Waterfront or know which buses go where as a back up plan. The Navy Yard station was so crowded last night that people had to wait in long lines to get into the station and others left in droves as they were getting nervous with the overcrowding in the station."

One suggestion on buses, but I haven't tried this after a very crowded game: Right by the Navy Yard Station entrance on New Jersey Avenue, there's a stop for the Circulator bus, which is scheduled to arrive every 10 minutes on a game night. The bus would take you to Eastern Market Station, to catch the Blue or Orange Line, and to Union Station, to pick up the Red Line. (Or what's left of it. The schedule calls for the Red Line service between Fort Totten and Silver Spring to be interrupted again at 10 p.m.)

By Robert Thomson  |  June 25, 2009; 1:59 PM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reactions as Red Line Reopens
Next: Cracked Red, Green Line Rails Fixed, Metro Reports

Comments

Sigh. I appreciate that sometimes, s**t just happens, and I'm glad that safety's a priority, but this is now my fourth day in a row where I have a 2.5-3 hour commute each way and I am so tired of it, and so tired, that I can't even come up with words.

For what it's worth, if anyone's reading, yesterday's rush-hour trip from Silver Spring to the baseball game took me an hour and 45 minutes almost exactly.

Posted by: EtoilePB | June 25, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

If you went to see the Nats, then I feel sorry for you.

If you went to see the Red Sox, then I hope it takes you 2 hours tonight.

But I do feel your pain, I had a similar experience and feel it will be bad for a while.

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | June 25, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Gridlock: EtoilePB, I think you're speaking for many thousands.

Also, that's a good cautionary note about the baseball trip. Yesterday, that trip would have included the Red Line bus shuttle, correct?

Posted by: Robert Thomson | June 25, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

If you're leaving or going to the baseball game, what's wrong with using East Capitol and walking straight south to get over to the game? That's what I did on Tuesday, after seeing the back up to get onto the Green Line at L'Enfant Plaza. And I was rooting for the Nationals. Yeah, it gets you if you're going up the Red Line away from the Green line and onto the Orange and Blue line until Metro Center, when you're in kind of the same problem, but it is something.

Seriously, at times like this, those of us who can walk (I'm 26 and in pretty good shape) should walk, and let those that are older or less mobile use the system that they need to.

Still, this is getting pretty ridiculous. Hopefully it all turns around pretty quickly.

Posted by: DCCenturion | June 25, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Dr. Gridlock: Yes, yesterday I took the bus shuttle from Silver Spring (Dixon, by the Discovery building) to Fort Totten, then the green line from Ft. Totten to Navy Yard. And actually, the bus part of it was just under 30 minutes -- not nearly as bad as I had been expecting.

@m1ke3i6: I can't help being a Sox fan. I spent the first 25 years of my life living in Boston. It's in the water there. ;)

Posted by: EtoilePB | June 25, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Nats Park has a Bike Valet lockup, and a bunch of outdoor racks too.

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | June 25, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse