Poll: Metro Riding After the Crash

Leave further thoughts in the comments field below, or e-mail us.

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 23, 2009; 7:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After Crash, Feds Urge Telework
Next: Passengers Ride, React During Slowed Commute

Comments

I'll still be riding, but I will be re-thinking my preferred spot in the front of the train. I often get into the first car at Silver Spring when headed downtown. I may be looking more closely at those middle cars.

Posted by: runnergirl03 | June 23, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

"After yesterday's Metro crash, I feel..." fine. This is the first time a passenger has died since 1982. Twenty-seven years in between commuter deaths. That's a pretty frickin' good record. Compare that with driving in a car and the number of auto accidents. (About 100 people a year die in car wrecks in DC -- about 2 every week.)

Posted by: bobbob2 | June 23, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

In the 30+ years that Metro has been operating, there have only been 2 fatal crashes - the one yesterday and one in 1982, in which 3 passengers were killed. There have been additional incidents in which trains have derailed or crashed and injured passengers, one in which trains crashed at a Metro railyard and the operator was killed, and several in which track workers have been killed. However, the number of deaths and injuries from all of these incidents combined is far lower than the number of injuries and deaths that occur as a result of driving on the Beltway and other area roads in the same time span. And Metro still gets me where I need to go much faster than any other transportation option.

Posted by: sciencegrrl | June 23, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I'll still ride the Metro, but the fact that most of these accidents happen on the Red Line makes me wonder--is there something inherently unsafe about it?

Posted by: bokamba | June 23, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I definitely feel more uneasy, but... how many people die in car crashes inside or on the Beltway in any given month? I'd rather be on the train.

Posted by: EtoilePB | June 23, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait until the Red Line reopens. The Metro is still the safest way to travel, when one compares the statistics for number of injuries/fatalities per person served. Driving a car is far and away the most dangerous. (and most expensive when one factors in gasoline, insurance, parking, maintainence and depreciation)

Posted by: Cavan9 | June 23, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Why do all of the options in this poll have to have something negative associated with them? "Shaken." "Unsettled." "Unsure." "Never ride again." Sure, it's unfortunate what happened, and my sympathies are with the loved ones of those killed. But I wouldn't think twice about getting on a Metro train. So, I'm not selecting any of the options in this poll. My choice: "Get me on the next Red Line train!"

Posted by: dtjoyce | June 24, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse