Traffic Alert: Chain Bridge Construction Delays Possible

The Chain Bridge will only have one lane getting by in each direction again today as crews continue a rehabilitation project. The project, which launched Tuesday, caused some major delays during the morning commute yesterday. The lane closures will continue until January 2010.

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 3, 2009; 6:47 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic Alert: Major Delays For Chain Bridge Project
Next: The Thing About the Bridges

Comments

How's the effect been on reverse commuters? I typically commute from NW DC to McLean, but I'm out of town on business until tomorrow.

Any input from reverse commuters would help me plan my drive.

Posted by: bergamot | June 3, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

horrible horrible horrible: the closures on chain bridge. I am in the fortunate position of being able to work from home if need be. my commute into the city from arlington on tuesday was a bummer. won't go during rush hour again......it adds 40 minutes to the trip

Posted by: chili1 | June 3, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Chili1, if you use Facebook, check out the Facebook page "Save Chain Bridge Commuters" for info on who you can contact.

Posted by: savechainbridge | June 3, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I thought I heard rumors that authorities might make Chain Bridge inbound only during the morning rush and outbound only during the afternoon rush. I don't even travel on Chain Bridge and it added 1 hour to my commute on Monday! Those of us in Maryland that use Canal Road were also caught up in the nightmare of this project. Having the bridge only going 1 way during rush hours will allow the usual number of lanes for the majority of commuters and return some sense to the situation. Has anyone heard if this will indeed happen?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 3, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

It's a pity that they're only rehabbing the bridge, and not widening it to five lanes. Those two additional lanes would really reduce traffic on other bridges, especially the American Legion.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

A 5 lane Chain Bridge leading into a 2 lane Canal Road doesn't sound like an effective combination.

Posted by: savechainbridge | June 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

It's ok, so far, for reverse commuters. While the construction may be inconvenient for Virginians, please note that making the bridge one way during rush would *totally*, and unfairly, lock out people who need to get to Virginia in the morning and back to DC in the evening, including school carpoolers and many of us that commute TO Virginia. Why should Virginians get preferential treatment?

Perhaps the wider Key Bridge could have traffic lane adjustments to help with the overflow.

While Monday was horrible, things didn't seem quite as bad today, as people adjusted to the new reality.

It was very unfortunate that there was no advance notice.

Posted by: Tenleytowner | June 3, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the same people complaining about the traffic jams are the residents who protested the building of the Tysons metro stop.

They have also had flashing signs at Chain Bridge Rd. (VA) heading towards the bridge and at Canal and Arizona, for approx. 2 weeks- although, I will say the details were vague.

Posted by: gloverparkist | June 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I live in MD and commte to work in VA. My VA office is moving so I had planned to switch from using Key Bridge to using the Chain Bridge. Thanks to the Post and the other Commenters for putting me in the know.

Even though it will add a couple of miles to my commute, I'll continue to use Key Bridge.

Posted by: kowsowitz | June 4, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

My $0.02
Inbound in the AM. Allow all inbound traffic from the bridge to turn right onto Canal unimpeded (no red light for right turns into the near lane and funnel southbound traffic on Canal to the center lane on Canal.

Outbound in the PM. The stop light on the VA side needs to be retimed to give priority to the traffic coming off the bridge.

These 2 minor changes would allow much more traffic to get through the limited lanes.

Posted by: hblust | June 4, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse