Wilson Bridge Trail Opens
Just hours ago, I was referring to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Trail as the long-awaited pathway. Now it's so open, it's got rules.
The bridge project team passed them along after the 1 p.m. opening.
Rules Specific to the New Bridge Trail:
* Hours of operation: 5:30 a.m. to midnight.
* Speed limit is 10 miles per hour.
* The trail is a multi-use facility for cyclists, runners and walkers. Users must be considerate of others traveling at different speeds. Slower traffic should stay to the right. Cyclists must alert other trail users before passing.
* Trail users who stop must move to the side of the path to avoid impeding other trail traffic.
* A dashed yellow line separates directional traffic.
* The bridge drawspan may open periodically. Cyclists and pedestrians need to be pay attention to the lights, bells and signs near the bridge drawspan. The drawspan will not open until all traffic is a safe distance away.
* In an emergency, users should call 911. The closest and most appropriate responder from Maryland or Virginia will be dispatched. The Park Police emergency telephone number is (301) 459-3232.
* The bridge trail is close to moving traffic. It is illegal to throw debris or obstruct traffic in any way.
* Pets are allowed but must be on leashes and have proper licensing.
* Bicycle helmet laws will be enforced.
* Park only in designated areas. No parking after dark.
The opening was a great way to mark National Trails Day. In addition to the bridge trail, a new biker-pedestrian connection from Route 1 to the Washington Street deck in Virginia also opened. Another trail is scheduled to open in summer 2010 connecting the east side of Telegraph Road at Huntington Avenue with Eisenhower Avenue and the Holmes Run Trail.
June 6, 2009; 4:11 PM ET
Categories: Biking , Wilson Bridge | Tags: Washington, Wilson Bridge Trail, cycling, hiking, walking
Save & Share: Previous: Traffic Alert: Congestion at 14th Street Bridge
Next: Doors Opening: Metro Must Solve This Problem
Posted by: allenmuchnick | June 7, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: washpost4 | June 8, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: deejoshy | June 8, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: NotDeadYet | June 8, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | June 8, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: thetan | June 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: washpost4 | June 9, 2009 3:23 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.