Fire Trucks At Van Ness Metro

5:10 P.M. UPDATE: The alarm was tripped, but there is no smoke, no fire and no delays at the Van Ness station, said Metro sopkesman Steven Taubenkibel. So the fire trucks are there so they can look into what tripped the alarm, he said.

ORIGINAL POST: Fire trucks are outside the Van Ness Metro station due to a report of smoke coming from an ancillary room at the station, said Metro spokesman Steven Taubenkibel. But he said that this did not cause any red line delays*, and the trucks went out there at 4:06 p.m.

* Further delays, obviously.

By Mark Berman  |  July 30, 2009; 5:01 PM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update: Ten Rescued from Woodley Park Metro's Elevator
Next: Traffic Alert: Accident Cleared on I-395 N after Landmark

Comments

When I came home last night to Van Ness at about 10:20, I definitely smelled smoke after I got off a train from Friendship Heights. I went right to the station manager, and he said it was the brakes of the train that just arrived, the one I was on. However, it smelled woodish-smoky to me, not metallic-smoky, know what I mean?

Posted by: sbuck | July 30, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Also, a person who lives in my building says there were fire trucks at Van Ness Metro on Tuesday and Wednesday as well, earlier in the afternoon from today. Izzatso? What's up?

Posted by: sbuck | July 30, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

The fire fighters from the Cleveland Park fire station buy food for their station house at the Giant at Van Ness, so you'll see their trucks parked on Veazey Terrace or Connecticut. Apparently, where they go, their trucks go.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | July 30, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

WashingtonDame, that's standard practice for firemen. My parents live near a fire station out near Fairfax and the firemen there do the same thing. The reason is that they are still on call when they go to the grocery store--if a call comes in, they're required to drop what they're doing and hop on the truck ASAP. Most store owners where firemen shop are familiar with this and will forgive the abandoned cart of groceries if it happens.

Posted by: 1995hoo | July 30, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 1995hoo. I certainly wasn't criticizing the fire fighters. I see them in the store, and they're very nice guys, good humored and helpful.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | July 30, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse