More Red Line Disruptions Thursday and Saturday

There's another big break in service coming, Metro says. Takoma Station will close from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday and from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday. This will allow the National Transportation Safety Board to continue its investigation of the June 22 train crash.

Metro says it was told by the NTSB this afternoon that the investigators will test the sight distance along the tracks between Takoma and Fort Totten, the zone where the fatal crash occurred. That means no regular train travel in that area during the hours of the testing.

So during that time, the Red Line will be divided into two now-familiar segments. Trains will run between Glenmont and Silver Spring and between Fort Totten and Shady Grove. In between, riders will have to board free shuttle buses, which will stop at Takoma as well as Silver Spring and Fort Totten.

Riders are going to be angry about this renewed disruption, but the sight line testing is important. I'm sure many of you are curious to learn more about this aspect of the investigation.

After the crash, I was so puzzled about how a crash could occur on this wide open and flat part of the Red Line that I sat as far forward as I could in southbound trains to have a view similar to what a train operator would see. I was very surprised by the limits on the forward view around the big bend near New Hampshire Avenue, to the point where I wondered whether the fencing and the trees along the right side of the bend would turn out to factors that limited the train operator's ability to see the stopped train.

Seeing that view and knowing that the track circuit in that area continued to malfunction after the crash, made it much easier to accept Metro's decision to send only one train at a time in each direction through the crash zone.

By Robert Thomson  |  July 15, 2009; 5:51 PM ET
Categories:  Metro  | Tags: Dr. Gridlock, Metrorail delays, Red Line crash
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic Alert: Constitution Ave. Blocked Near Capitol
Next: Beltway Traffic Shift Underway in Virginia

Comments

"I road as far forward as I could"

tsk tsk

Posted by: Goby | July 15, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Could the sight-line be any worse than a tunnel?

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | July 15, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Will this affect the afternoon rush hour?

Posted by: dianegiles4 | July 15, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

After the crash, I was so puzzled about how a crash could occur on this wide open and flat part of the Red Line that I road as far forward as I could in southbound trains to have a view similar to what a train operator would see.************************

My good Doctor Gridlock,
Dont you mean you RODE the southbound trains as far forward as you could.

The REDLINE trains dont operate on a ROAD, they operate on a set of train tracks. When you ride the trains, the proper adjective should be, that you RODE the trains. You didnt drive the trains on a road, did you?

Posted by: PullitSirPrize | July 15, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Uhh, PullitSirPrize, you left out an apostrophe in "Don't", Red Line doesn't need to be in all caps, you don't need the comma between be and that, and you left out another apostrophe in "didn't".

Other than that, you make a great grammar cop.

Posted by: sc-terp | July 15, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

in the past, i have both highwayed and streeted on the red line

Posted by: californicationdude | July 15, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

From Dr. Gridlock: Thanks, I fixed it.

Posted by: Robert Thomson | July 16, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean that on Saturday evening, Takoma station will be open only from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.?

Posted by: DOEJN | July 16, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Given the number days that these tracks have already been closed off, shouldn't this sight-line test have already been done? It seems to me that there has already been ample opportunity for that to have happened.

Posted by: ceebee2 | July 16, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse