Metro Alert: Red Line Delays After Rail Damage

Red Line Riders should expect delays in the Bethesda area after a cracked rail was discovered this afternoon between the Friendship Heights and Bethesda stations.

Trains will share a single track between the Friendship Heights and Grosvenor stations while temporary repairs are made, Metro officials said. Trains will move through the area at reduced speeds.

Permanent repairs will be made overnight, officials said.

Metro Resources:  Riding the System  |  Trip Planner   |   Map  |  Post Coverage

By Mike McPhate  |  August 18, 2009; 2:38 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro Expects Better Cell Service by Mid-October
Next: Traffic Alert: All Accidents Cleared on I-66 at Route 28

Comments

Yippee!!!

Yup, I'm going to start driving to work. This is bull.

Posted by: r6345 | August 18, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad that I had my husband take my car to the mechanic yesterday and not today. Yesterday my comute home was only 30 minutes from Archive to Grosvenor.

Posted by: HistoryAnn | August 18, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Everyone will complain about the delays, but imagine how much worse it would be if a train derailed there. Cracked rails happen and it's why they have people walk the tracks to inspect them.

Posted by: 1995hoo | August 18, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Cracked rails seem to happen late in every summer. Was the system not built with DC summers in mind?

(It was built without a LOT of things in mind...)

Posted by: EtoilePB | August 18, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The track between Bethesda and Friendship Heights is entirely underground, and quite far below ground, so the crack shouldn't have been heat-induced.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | August 18, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that the people in DC truly appreciate the Metro System and its benefits. I would trade it in a heartbeat for the disaster of a system we have in Chicago. Old, broken down, early 20th Century Technology being rebuilt to the same standards. Steel and Wood with long stairways, narrow platforms, trains which are far more crowded without AC, and constant problems. On three of the major lines repair and rehab projects have been going on for several years and the trains have had extended slow zones due to bad track that took years to fix. We don't have high speed crashes in Chicago because... well... the el doesn't get very fast.

The DC system is an absolute delight when compared to the CTA.

Posted by: dcraven925 | August 18, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Hi, excuse the off topic post, however I work in Frederick periodically and usually try to work until 6pm-6:30 to avoid 495 rush hour traffic. However, I recently noticed that all but 1 or 2 lanes of 270 south are closed for a construction project. I ran into this 2 weeks ago approx. 7:15pm near Germantown so want to avoid this. I noticed them setting up last night approx. 6:30pm. Is there any set schedule for this evening construction and lane closures on 270 southbound? thanks in advance.

Posted by: 111me | August 18, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't think any of this is coincidence. I blame the Metro leadership. Everyone should be fired. Time to CLEAN HOUSE and start over from the top.

Posted by: chaddsford1971 | August 18, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse