Poll: What's Your Biggest Concern Regarding Metro?

This year has been a busy and tragic year for Metro. We want to hear your concerns. Sound off on the poll below and in the comments regarding your largest concerns as a Metro rider.

By washingtonpost.com editors  |  September 24, 2009; 12:32 PM ET
Categories:  Commuting , Congestion , Metro , Safety
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro Board Votes to Extend Catoe's Contract
Next: Metro Board Approves Contract To Fix Doors on Oldest Rail Cars

Comments

I think "Delays/Steady erosion of customer service" should have been an option in this poll.

Posted by: brimadison | September 24, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Trips are still taking longer than they used to, and we still hear "train holding here for schedule adjustment" on a daily basis.

I find myself reluctant to stay downtown in the evening because I worry about getting home.

Posted by: mmaid | September 24, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I third it. The delays and poor service have made riding Metro a hassle rather than a convenience.

I would also appreciate the conductors not shouting at us about the doors closing or not to board because there's another train coming (uh, I thought my Smartcard lets me board any train I please).

Posted by: econgrrl | September 24, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I voted for the budget shortfall as I'm left wondering how Metro will screw over the ridership next year when there's a massive fare hike in an attempt to ameliorate the financial shortcomings.

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | September 24, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I think "vulnerability to terrorist attacks" should also be an option.

Posted by: lilia_ward | September 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to vote for either fat men who don't get up for pregnant ladies and all that residue from "residual" delays.

Posted by: jaho | September 24, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

It's the combination of factors, really: Metro doesn't have enough money, which means that they both charge more and provide less. So the service gets shoddier and less reliable, to say nothing of being more crowded and less save, while the cost increases.

$6.90 a day for my two-hour commute. It's a testament to how much I REALLY HATE urban driving that I still bother at all. I know I was spoiled by my $70 - $90 a month transit passes in Boston and New York, and spoiled by the years I lived under those systems (particularly NYC, with bypass rails and express trains), but Metro service seemed pretty great the first year I lived here and completely not worth it the second year. The trains are coming less often, they're more crowded, the employees have gotten surlier and less helpful... oh, and people keep getting killed.

I mean, for all that, couldn't the service at least run until 1:00 a.m. or cost a little less?

Posted by: EtoilePB | September 24, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Biggest concern is that with everything going wrong for METRO. Financial Issues, increasing accidents, and the system just looks aged and dirty, is that Catoe is still on the job!

Posted by: kenayers1 | September 24, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse