The Week Ahead

Today is "Terrible Traffic Tuesday," so named by the folks at AAA because it is the day when life -- and traffic -- returns to normal in the Washington area. The summer is over, and with its end people return to work, to school and to college. While you were away a great many highway projects continued and federal stimulus money funded other road projects. The orange cones will be out in force this week.

Va. HOV Lanes
Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 8, the I-95/395 HOV lanes will return to their standard schedule, remaining open to all traffic southbound from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays. The lanes will re-open northbound to all traffic at 11 p.m.

HOT Lane Construction
Beginning Thursday night, Sept. 10 , steel beams will be lifted into place for a new bridge at I-66 west over I-495 south. Motorists can expect I-495 south total lane closures from 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Thursday nights for the next two weeks. Detours will be in place. All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.

Park Road Work in the District
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is scheduled to close a section of the 1300 block of Park Road, NW next week. Approximately 100 feet of Park Road, directly east of 14th Street, will be closed from 7 am to 7 pm, beginning Tuesday, September 8 through Saturday September 12, 2009, for the installation of light poles at the new Civic Plaza.

I-270 Lane Closures
Next week, the Maryland Department of Transportation's State Highway Administration (SHA) will begin the second phase of a $10 million safety and resurfacing project along a nearly four mile section of southbound I-270 between Middlebrook Road and Muddy Branch Road in Montgomery County.

During construction, motorists can expect single lane closures along I-270 Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., overnight Sunday through Thursday between 7 p.m. and 4:30 a.m., with double lane closures overnight Sunday through Thursday between 8 p.m. until 4:30 a.m. Crews will close one of the collector-distributor lanes between Middlebrook Road and the ramp to MD 117 Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and overnights Sunday through Thursday between 7 p.m. and 4:30 a.m.

ICC Lane shift
On or about Sep. 9, the Maryland Department of Transportation's State Highway Administration (SHA) will shift traffic on MD 650 (New Hampshire Avenue) near Bonifant Road/Good Hope Road to allow for construction of the permanent northbound MD 650 Bridge over the future $2.5 billion Intercounty Connector (ICC). The traffic shifts will take place on September 9 and 10 and are weather permitting.

By Ashley Halsey  |  September 8, 2009; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting , Congestion , Construction
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic Alert: Lights Out Between H and K Streets, 10th and 13th
Next: Traffic Alert: Serious Accident Blocks Lanes on I-295 N in SE

Comments

A general HOV lane comment...my wife and I were in a taxi from Fairfax to Union Station this morning and was stunned (seriously!) by the number of cars with 1 or 2 passengers and not a single VSP trooper engaged in enforcement on the road at 6:45am. Given how slowly I-395 was moving these people should have been hit with major fines for this, but they benefited while others idled along wasting gas and time simply for following the rules.

Does VSP have a random enforcement policy? Personally, I would have a couple of troopers a mile or two north of the HOV entrance near Duke Street pulling over every single violator. Since I am not a regular commuter on this road (either work from a home office or at client sites) this does not affect me, but it seems like a simple way to raise some much needed revenue for roadwork.

Posted by: skipper7 | September 8, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree with skipper7 above. I am an HOV driver (thanks to my hybrid) who commutes to DC everyday and am shocked by the number of single driver cars commuting illegaly in the HOV lanes on 66 Eastbound every morning, after the 495 interchange. I don't think I've ever seen morning enforcement, but afternoon/evening enforcement is frequent on the Westbound lanes. It seems to me that a state in such a budget crisis would figure out a way to post at least one VSP to ticket these morning drivers and bring in some much-needed revenue.

Posted by: constantcommuting | September 8, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Consistent (and simple!) grammatical errors by the writers of the Washington Post erode their credibility. Ugh.

The summer is over, and with "it's" end people return ....

This isn't even Journalism 101. It's 4th grade English.

Posted by: topwomanexec | September 8, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I just don't understand why hybrids are allowed in the HOV lanes. At that speed, they're off the battery and consuming gasoline just like any non-hybrid car, and they should be treated like non-hybrids.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | September 8, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Actually, WaPo is correct in the use of "It's" because it is 3rd person possessive, like "he's" and "she's" and the pronoun refers to "summer."

Posted by: Lisabadd | September 8, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------
Wrong. Topwomanexec was correct. "Its" is the possessive and "it's" is the contraction for "it is."

And "he's" and "she's" are not possessives. They're contractions for "he is" and "she is." The possessive forms are "his" and "her"/"hers."

As Topwomanexec said, this is 4th grade
English.

Posted by: checkered1 | September 8, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'll grant Dr. Gridlock a ride in the HOV even as a single driver for his error. "It's" is a contraction for "it is" such as "it's Terrible Traffic Tuesday". An exception to the third person possessive form is "its" which refers to those things that belong to it. Its exception doesn't make sense, but there you go anyway...just like a single driver in the HOV lane.

Posted by: concernedcitizen10 | September 8, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"constantcommuting," one issue with I-66 inside the Beltway is that Dulles Airport traffic is allowed to use I-66 regardless of the number of people in the car. If you're ever downtown with an evening flight out of Dulles, it's worth going to the airport early just to get to use the HOV exemption because it's so much faster. (Sure, you get the finger from holier-than-thou punks who assume you're cheating, but who cares?) That's why in the afternoon you sometimes see the cops doing HOV enforcement only on the off-ramps, and at the split of the Dulles Toll Road/Dulles Access Road--anyone who gets off somewhere, or who goes towards the Toll Road, isn't going to the airport. This is also why in the morning the HOV enforcement is done on the on-ramps--someone exiting the highway may well be coming from the airport.

The HOV exemption was required by the US government as a condition of getting that road built.

Now, there are people who stop at the gas station on the Dulles Airport property to top off the tank or buy coffee or whatever. They then get to use both the Dulles Access Road (no toll, no congestion) and I-66 because using that gas station is "airport business." It doesn't really fit with the spirit or intent of the rules, but it's legal.

Posted by: 1995hoo | September 8, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"I'll grant Dr. Gridlock a ride in the HOV even as a single driver for his error."

Dr. Gridlock did not type the main entry.

Posted by: 1995hoo | September 8, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@topwomanexec thanks. it's fixed.

-- Get There staff.