Traffic Alert: Metrobus Strikes Woman at Connecticut and Florida Avenues NW

Read our latest updates to this story.

A Metrobus turning right from Connecticut Ave. onto Florida Ave. in Northwest struck a woman who appeared to be jogging at 8:35 a.m., according to Metro spokeswoman Taryn McNeil.

The woman, whose name has not been released, was transported to George Washington University Hospital with life threatening injuries, McNeil said.

MPD Officer Helen Andrews said that the major crash investigation unit is on the scene. This is standard procedure when it appears there is a potentially fatal crash.

The bus, number 4262, was not in service at the time of the accident. The driver was heading to the Northern Bus Garage, McNeil said. She said that the driver, who will be placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation, will be given a drug and alcohol test, as is standard operating procedure.

-James Hohmann

Note: This post has been updated since its first publication.

By Ashley Halsey  |  September 3, 2009; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting , Congestion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Left Lane of Outer Loop Blocked at Am. Legion Bridge
Next: Weekend Tips for Crossing the Bay Bridge

Comments

2 bus accidents in one week? What happened to the safety stand down? I know it wasnt Catoes fault the bus crashed, but the lack of accountability and downward spiraling safety record says a major change needs to happen.

Posted by: td_photog | September 3, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE correct the grammar/punctuation error in the tagline, which now reads:

Note: This post has been updated since it's first publication

Posted by: oregonduck86 | September 3, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Please change the "it's" in the Note to its.

Posted by: Raysmom | September 3, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Let's get the facts before we jump to conclusions. As a runner in downtown DC, I can say that I definitely dart across the street and into intersections when it's clear, regardless of the traffic and pedestrian signals. I know plenty of other runners and pedestrains do the same.

Posted by: mediajunky | September 3, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

This woman may be dying and all you people can think of is punctuation?

Posted by: mike8 | September 3, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Agree with mediajunky, except for the misspelling of pedestrians.

Far too often, people walk or run into the road without even pausing at an intersection. People on phones are the worst.

Posted by: chunche | September 3, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Also agreed. If folks choose to ignore their surroundings in favor of blabbing on a cell phone, I will shed no tears on their behalf when their inattentive nature leads to tragedy. Looking both ways before crossing the street is like putting on a seatbelt; seriously people, it's 2009, you should have this figured out by now.

Posted by: random-adam | September 3, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree, im not faulting the bus driver as we dont know what happened. People just dont pay enough attention to their surroundings sometimes. Maybe it was just an unfortunate accident, hopefully the women will fully recover.

Posted by: td_photog | September 3, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I hope the pedestrian will recover. I also hope the bus driver will recover from his/her trauma, and will be found not at fault.

Posted by: MajorConfusion | September 3, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I witnessed this horrible accident this morning and can attest to the fact that the woman did not start crossing the street until after she had the right of way. The insensitivity of some of these comments is disgusting.

Posted by: mmiller1228 | September 3, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@mmiller1228: You have my sympathy. I've seen 2 people hit by cars in my life and it's unforgettable.

Posted by: MajorConfusion | September 3, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Since generally speaking, red lights are completely meaningless to Metrobus drivers - and yellow lights mean "floor it!" - I'm willing to bet we will soon learn it's yet another MetroFAIL.

Posted by: nocando | September 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I see way too many buses running red lights, pulling out in front of cars in the next lane or driving down the middle of 2 lanes blocking traffic. Some of these drivers not only think they are god but do not believe that rules of the road apply to them! I hope the pedestrian will recover.

Posted by: katesgram | September 3, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

On a daily basis, I see pedestrians, including joggers, walk/run in the street EVERYDAY without looking. Downtown area is even worse. I have observed on MANY occasions joggers with cellphones and iPods not paying attention to the flow of traffic and run into the street without looking to see if it is safe to do so. I see tourist trying to take pictures (7th & Penn) of the various attractions, and step off the curb with their backs facing traffic. I see pedestrians that think just because they are inside the crosswalk that they have the right of way reguardless of the traffic signal. As someone with a CDL I advise everyone to pay more attention to what's going on around you. These MetroBuses are nothing to play with. I've been on a bus when people not paying attenetion just walk right in front of the bus (who had the right of way) and look at the operator as if they were the one in the wrong. All of this said, if everyone does their part things like this would not happen. My prayers are with the jogger and their family.

Posted by: nequestions | September 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Also, what happened to the maps? They were up for a short while and are now gone. Helpful to me in understanding exactly where this was......

Posted by: MajorConfusion | September 3, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@MajorConfusion, if you know where the 42 or the L2 run, it is at that intersection.

Posted by: nequestions | September 3, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@nequestions: I so agree! I cannot take any more people who walk AND drive around OBLIVIOUS to their environment. Take your head out of your rear, your eyes off the shiny new toy, and pay attention!! I am tired of the lambasting some people get for not taking personal responsibility for their lives, when others don't!

Posted by: sigmagrrl | September 3, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Metrobus drivers ignore traffic signals.

Pedestrians could care less about Walk/Don't Walk signs.

Jaywalkers are everywhere, ready to shoot drivers a dirty look for not noticing that that a nitwit is standing in the middle of L Street at rush hour.

Drivers who can't seem to wake up on time are all too ready to plow pedestrians for not clearing the walkway as they speed to work.

Cell phones. Texting. Reading.

Oh, and look out for that bike messenger.

It's a scofflaw culture. It's similar to the "broken window" syndrome -- let all the little things slide by and in time it all adds up to chaos.

Posted by: CallMeLiberal | September 3, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

As somebody who lives off of Connecticut Ave, I can tell you that far too many joggers have no respect at all for red lights and just blithely jaywalk (jayjog?) rather than stop for a few seconds to wait for a green light. I'm NOT assuming that this jogger was crossing against a light, but given what I see on a daily basis, I hope the police will carefully investigate what happened, so that the driver of the Metrobus won't be blamed improperly.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | September 3, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Right-of-way is irrelevant when there's a bus coming at you. . . . except for your heirs, who I guess can sue.

Dottie B

Posted by: dottie_b | September 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Metrobus drivers do not care about anyone. And yes, I realize that is a sweeping generalization.

Posted by: dcfthr | September 3, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

CallMeLiberal doesn't sound too liberal to me. So, if you're talking on a cell phone, texting, reading, or jogging you deserve to be run over by a bus? That's nuts. Pedestrians, even runners, always have the right of way.

The number of bus/pedestrian/biker collisions in this city is unacceptable. The buses are way too big and mostly empty. Drivers can be reckless.

The buses need to be smaller and contracts that protect reckless drivers must be changed. Until then, the city will remain a playground for dangerous and uncontrollable behemoths, no place to raise a family.

Posted by: DCTaxpayer | September 3, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@DCTaxpayer: I agree, MetroBuses are big and that is why people need to understand that they cannot stop on a dime the way that your personal car can. This pieces of machinery are AT LEAST 40,000lbs EACH. No if you want to reduce the size of the bus then you have MORE buses on the streets to accommodate the ridership. Now with your suggestion you have a HIGHER risk of being hit by a bus........USE YOUR BRAIN.

Posted by: nequestions | September 3, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse