Traffic Alert: Farmer's Market Closes Vermont Ave NW Between H and I Sts

The District Department of Transportation warns motorists that Vermont Ave NW will be closed between H and I streets today until 8 p.m. for the new farmer's market. These closures will continue every Thursday from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. through Oct. 29.

Metro will reroute L2 buses during these closures.

Update from Metro: The southbound L2 will operate its regular route to H Street and Vermont Ave. NW, and then continue on H Street, then make a left on 15th Street NW, a left on I (Eye) Street NW, and a right on 15th Street NW, and then continue its regular route to the McPherson Square Metrorail station. While operating on the detour, the L2 will not miss any bus stops, the transit authority said.

Additionally, the Vermont Avenue entrance at McPherson Square station will close until approximately 4 p.m. today. Metro advises riders to use the 14th st entrance during that time.

By washingtonpost.com editors  |  September 17, 2009; 10:23 AM ET
Categories:  Driving
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic Alert: Accident Causes Delays on Outer Loop at University Blvd.
Next: Some Arlington Roads to Close for Sunday Run

Comments

Don't bother going to the farmer's market - they're not letting customers in. I walked over about five after 1, there was a crowd at the north end of the block starting to spill out into the intersection, and a guy in a suit told us no "onlookers," just vendors. Yet they signs on surrounding streetcorners directing people to the "open today" Farmer's Market. Great planning.

Posted by: dc-native | September 17, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

There is a delay, however most new initiatives have kinks to iron out on the first run...give it a chance.

Posted by: howardr1 | September 17, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Who's paying for the security?

A quick check of the traffic cam shows two DC dump trucks and two dc police cars.

Is this normal for a farmers market?

Posted by: blah1233242 | September 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, crap. You mean they actually went through with this idiotic proposal?

My commute home is going to s-u-c-k today. Thank you, Obamas! I hope your helicopter gets stuck in a weather delay!

Posted by: afsljafweljkjlfe | September 17, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

It did not open until 3:00 people. Get a grip.

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony | September 17, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Obama was there. That is why there was so much security.

Posted by: brothbart | September 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The market opened after Mrs. Obama left. Lots of vendors, many good deals -- can't wait to try the bourbon-soaked peaches I bought. Plenty of everything: veggies, fruits, breads, cheeses, etc. Many vendors take credit cards. This could be a good deal on Thursdays before heading home. Prices competitive with suburban marts.

Posted by: cjmoore3 | September 17, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope the First Lady bought lots, to make up for the vendors not being able to make any sales to the public in what presumably should have been their prime sales period, when people are out and about for lunch. I doubt that many people are going to want to delay the start of their commute by stopping after work.

The people planning this should have asked that she make her speech in the morning, or at least have not advertised it as "opening" at 1.

Posted by: dc-native | September 17, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

5:13 p.m., looking out my window here at VA and the market is doing a brisk business even in a light mist. Plenty of folks with bags of goods still wandering amongst the vendors.

Posted by: cjmoore3 | September 17, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I walked through the market just before 4:00 pm, on my way to the metro station and home. Many buyers, even in the drizzle. Everything looked great.

I believe that the street closure is 1:00 - 8:00 pm, whereas the market hours are 3:00 - 7:00 pm.

Posted by: wp112310 | September 18, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse