Two Buses Collide in Southeast

UPDATE (8:15 a.m.): A charter bus "rear-ended" a stationary Metrobus, according to Metro spokesman Steven Taubenkibel. He said that there are 19 reported injuries on the Metrobus, including the driver. All of those injuries appear non-life threatening, he said. He said he didn't have any information about the type of charter or tour bus that hit the Metrobus.

ORIGINAL (8:05 a.m.): Two buses collided in the 2300 block of Good Hope Road in Southeast just before 7:45 a.m., according to Pete Piringer, spokesman for D.C. Fire and EMS.

Numerous EMS units are responding to the scene, and at least 21 patients are being assessed for injuries, he said, adding that none of the injuries appear serious or life threatening.

The roads are slippery this morning, and drivers should expect major delays in the area of the accident.

busmap.jpg

By James Hohmann  |  September 11, 2009; 8:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic Alert: Eastbound Washington Blvd. Closed in Arlington
Next: Traffic Alert: Main Break Closes 16th Street NW

Comments

I guess there will be a bunch of upstanding D.C. citizens who just think they have just hit the Metro "lottery" after this morning's accident. The lawyers firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe will make sure that each of these individuals will have severe neck & and back injuries, that can only be healed by a substantial sum of money.

Posted by: ridge_road_marco | September 11, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Gosh, RR Marco, who psst in your wheaties this morning?

Posted by: sandrags | September 11, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Down on DC, eh? Stay away. :^)

Posted by: fbutler1 | September 11, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Damn Skippy Ridge Road!!

"My neck, my back...my neck and my back... I'm suing yall for a hundred and fifty thousand, but we can settle out of court for 50 bucks".......

Quoted by Ezel from Friday

Posted by: usc932000 | September 11, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

This crash happened right in front of my building. Good Hope Road SE is a residential street with parking on both sides of the street. Nonetheless, both the State of Maryland (this was a bus chartered by the Maryland DOT to provide commuter bus service into D.C.) and motorists seem to think it is a four-lane highway. Traffic is routinely backed up on weekday mornings, sometimes as many as four blocks (up to Alabama Ave. SE). In the afternoons, automobiles race up the street at 40, 50, even 60 mph to try to "beat the light" in front of 2300 Good Hope Rd. SE. There are numerous auto accidents every year at 2300 Good Hope, as speeding motorists slam into cars trying to leave the Marbury Plaza parking lot (despite the stoplight) or slam into one another because of the light or exiting vehicles.

Metro runs three major bus routes down this street -- V5, 92, and W8. All three connect people in the heart of Anacostia to Metrorail. D.C. police and fire personnel blocks off Good Hope Road to Altamont Place SE (two blocks north of the accident) and 22nd Street (two blocks south of the accident). This prevented Metrobus access for 14 blocks along Good Hope Road (from Alabama Ave. SE to 13th Street SE) -- effectively preventing all citizens in the heart of Anacostia from accessing Metrorail.

Nearly all the people affected on the Metrobus are poor and black. Six of the severely injured were children on their way to school. I am appalled at the callous and neo-racist comments on this message board.

Posted by: Timmy1965 | September 11, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Same thing in Barney Circle - MD DOT buses routinely roar down two-lane, residential, 25 MPH Potomac Ave SE at speeds well over 50 MPH, often right past parked police cruisers. This is reckless driving, strictly defined. There is no shortage of insanely aggressive driving there during rush hour, but as a daily witness I can say commuter bus drivers are the absolute worst.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 11, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Marco, I hope you're right. The commuter lines deserve to be put out of business and have no business operating anywhere in or near residential neighborhoods in DC -- until they decide to employ drivers with a shred of respect for public safety and responsible driving. As it stands ALL of their drivers deserve a round of Rodneyking.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 11, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It's METRO's fault...It's METRO's fault!!! Ooops, it was a commuter bus running into the back of a Metro Bus?...well the Metro Bus driver shouldn't have been sitting idle while talking on the phone...she wasn't on the phone...well she must have been doing something wrong, because Metro is out of control and their buses keep getting in the way of other buses to get hit, or jumping off the track to hit pedestrians, or doing whatever they are doing to "cause" all of these accidents...Kill Cato...kill Cato...Metro is out of control, lol...

Posted by: Beingsensible | September 11, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and those Black folks...you know the poor ones who go out looking to be in accidents so they can get paid...they knew that communter bus was going to run into Metro this morning; they should have kept their lazy a.s.s home so they wouldn't get hurt...did I say they got hurt...well what I meant was they should have stayed home so they couldn't fake getting hurt...frigging trolls; where are they and why haven't they posted their vile on this blog...I forgot, they're at home getting ready for their big Tea Party of all Tea Parties tomorrow...you know the big 9/12, lol...guess they left Marco to mind the store...

Posted by: Beingsensible | September 11, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

<3 Beingsensible. And don't worry, the usual trolls will show up later on, hollering "Fire Catoe" and all that crap they do.

Posted by: pikamander007 | September 11, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Damn my lucky day, now I do not have to go slip on the wet floor of the Safeway and file suit against them! LOL

Posted by: Black101 | September 11, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

don't forget that the law firm must take 1/3 for it's effort, and pays all the medical referals said citizens get a dime.
----
Truthfully, I have never been in a serious accident. however one time i was hit from behind. In retrospect, the bump was a sudden/jarring blow. There was no real damage other than a blemish to my bumper, so it was nothing. Low and behold, that afternoon my back locked up on me something fierce. I was out of commission for the rest of the day. I'm talking alying on the floor at work, struggling to walk a flight of stairs at your apartment. Thankfully, i was a young 20 something and a day of rest and Advil seemed to resolve the issue. Since I have had back pains and always wondered did I actually need therapy then.

Posted by: oknow1 | September 11, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

A charter bus hits a Metro bus and all those injured we're on the Metro bus. Any questions as to the character of the low life’s living in DC??? Use Napalm to rid the country of this scourge.

Posted by: askgees | September 11, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

One of my coworkers was on that bus and he was thrown because he was standing up. This is not a laughing matter. It has nothing to do with where you live or your race. The ignorance of some posters is sad. For those who think it's funny too bad it wasn't you on that bus and you didn't go flying through the glass. Have some class!!

Posted by: ItrustinGod2 | September 11, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I got a call from Metro at 8:10 PM. Yes, in the evening! I guess if you threaten to contact Jim Graham (D.C.'s representative on the Metro board of governors) you get super-fast, personalized service.

The representative I talked to was calling about my complaint, which I'd made via Metro's Web site today. I had complained because Metro had put no notice up on their Web site about the major bus crash today, and the massive delays this was causing to the V5, 92, and W8/W6 bus schedules.

The customer service rep informed me that Metro did put out a notice about the crash -- via WTOP (the big news-traffic radio station in D.C.). I said that was fine, except that there should be a notice on Metro's Web site. I said that I visited Metro's Web site at 9:41 AM and took a screenshot of the WMATA Web site which shows no notice (of any bus delays, anywhere on Metro's vast system).

The rep then said that they don't put bus delays on their Web site. There are too many routes, and buses are delayed constantly.

I replied that no one is asking for that. (Notice how Metro tries to twist your words, to make it sound like you are asking for something unreasonable?) Metrorail delays are common, too, but whenever there is a major delay on the subway Metro puts up a notice on their Web site. This wasn't a minor traffic delay on a bus route today; it was a major, accident-caused delay. Metro should have notified the public.

She replied that Metro can't overrule the police, and can't notify customers of short-term route changes like that. (Notice again how Metro tries to twist your words -- as if somehow I'd asked for information on the side roads the buses would be taking!) I replied that I was not asking for that. Customers simply want to know there there is a major delay, that buses are being rerouted and will eventually get to you, and the cause of the delay.

I told the rep that customers go to Metro -- METRO -- for information on the Metro rail and bus system, not WTOP. Using WTOP and other news outlets is great, keep doing it; but customers go to WMATA.com for their information! Furthermore, I said, WTOP didn't get its information online until almost 10 AM. I know, I said, because I was checking WTOP for information about the crash and WTOP didn't get anything online until 9:51 AM. By that time, the incident was loooooong over.

The rep told me (in a slightly dismissive tone of voice) that she would pass my suggestion on to the Metro Web site staff. There was no acknowledgement that my complaint had any legitimacy, or that it was even a good idea.

So far, Metro's response has been to deny, evade, accuse, and give a Nixonian non-denial denial. To Metro's credit, the rep did say that she would have someone call met next week with a response from Metro's Web site staff.

Posted by: Timmy1965 | September 11, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

As for those Maryland commuter bus drivers: I'm coming home on the V5 bus. It's about 5:55 PM. The 11th Street Bridge lands in Anacostia at the intersection of Good Hope Road SE and MLK Avenue SE. There are four lanes here: A left-hand turn-only lane, two middle lanes (straight only), and a right-hand turn-only lane.

A long line of traffic always waits to make the left-hand turn onto Good Hope Road. DCDOT in its infinite wisdom has set the turning signal to last 15 seconds, rush hour or not. To avoid waiting, automobiles in the middle lane two lanes often take a sudden, very dangerous left-hand turn onto Good Hope Road -- cutting off the traffic in the turning lane. Accidents here are common.

So what do I see? A Maryland chartered commuter bus -- owned and operated by Kelly -- in the second lane from the left makes an illegal left-hand turn to go up Good Hope Road SE. The Maryland commuter bus cut off two cars, one of which honked loudly and the other slammed on its brakes so hard you could see the trunk rise up.

One might conclude that the Kelly-owned bus had to make the turn from the middle lane, because the turn is a tight one. Baloney, I say: If long Metrobuses can make that turn, a Kelly bus can do so.

State of Maryland, why aren't you supervising your charter commuter bus contractors?????? Why aren't you punishing those which violate the law???

Posted by: Timmy1965 | September 11, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse