Reporter's Query: How's Your Metrorail Ride?

My colleague, staff writer Katherine Shaver, is wondering if Metro makes you sick -- not figuratively, but literally. And she'd like to hear about your personal experiences.

Since the summer, she notes, Metro trains have been operating on manual control. It's one of the safety measures still in effect following the June 23 Red Line crash. Trains were meant to be run automatically, and control by the operators can create more wear and tear on the equipment.

But what Shaver is wondering is, with all the stopping and stopping involved in positioning the train correctly on the platform, does it create more wear and tear on you as a passenger? Does a long trip leave you slightly nauseated? Or have you learned to take it in stride after all these months?

E-mail her by clicking on this link to share your experiences.

By Robert Thomson  |  October 14, 2009; 11:56 AM ET
Categories:  Metro  | Tags: Dr. Gridlock, Red Line crash
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Morning Chase Leads To Beltway Closure
Next: Traffic Alert: Delays on Bay Bridge

Comments

Posted by: blah1233242 | October 14, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

No, it doesn't bother me.

Posted by: afsljafweljkjlfe | October 14, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

The NYC system has poles mounted near the platform edge with numbers telling the operators of 5, 6, 8, and (default) 10-car trains where to stop to center the train on the platform. This, of course, assumes the operator can remember how long his/her train is, but this seems like it would be a cheap fix.

Posted by: northgs | October 14, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@northgs: I believe the DC actually has a version of these too -- they aren't poles, but they're little signs mounted just under the platform lip (which can be seen from the driver's area, or for that matter the seat immediately behind it if you turn and look out the front window) reading 2, 4, 6, and 8. I believe these are located where they used to stop. And the #8 was always at the gate. The reason they started pulling to the front of the platform originally was that earlier this summer, operators *weren't* remembering whether they had 6- or 8-car trains and were opening doors in the tunnel. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Posted by: forget@menot.com | October 14, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine as long as the car isn't stuffy and overheated. If I'm not then too much motion will leave me queasy. I try not to sit on the sunny side of the car.

I have had a couple of almost falls with some stopping and jerking but usually you get the drift if a particular operator is prone to that kind of driving and you hang on after the first one.

I think they've improved service on the Red line in the past few weeks. I've been showing up in more usual amounts of time lately.

Posted by: RedBird27 | October 14, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Metro Stink is a bigger problem than Metro Lurch.

Posted by: member5 | October 14, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse