A commute home, captured on camera

See if you can pick out which roads our driver takes in the video submission we received response to my previous posting, called Your traffic and transit nightmares.

I missed the first road and the last road. Should have gotten them all. They're not obscure roads. The driver's route is speeded up on the video -- at least I hope so. So it does take a while to pick out the landmarks along the way, as well as the road characteristics. There's a full list of the roads at the end of the video. (Good choice of music to commute by, too.)

Tell me what else they illustrate about driving in the Washington region, and consider submitting your own travel nightmares via video as well.

I couldn't help but tense up every time the driver had to stop, either because the highway lane had come to a halt or because of a traffic signal.

By Robert Thomson  |  November 18, 2009; 3:52 PM ET
Categories:  Driving  | Tags: Dr. Gridlock, YouTube, user video
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rail project work scheduled for I-66
Next: Headaches on the horizon

Comments

I realized what the point of origin, and the first road, was when I saw the hotel. That's a rather unique-looking building and I remember watching them build it (it seemed to go up quite quickly). I have to agree with Dr. Gridlock that the sped-up visual effect made the stopping seem a lot more like a crash was about to occur!

Posted by: 1995hoo | November 19, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Lots more people are soon to be added to the northbound commute home on I-395 at the same point of entry as this traveler. I live near there, and I'm watching the huge new DoD building going up at Mark Center.

Which reminds me - Dr. Gridlock, there are a good number of mass transit options in the Mark Center area now. Several Metro and DASH bus lines intersect at Southern Towers and could be re-routed to add a closer stop, but this new building is going to increase the need incredibly. I've heard that there are plans to add service. Want to enlighten us?

Posted by: jcflack1 | November 19, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

"jcflack1" makes a good point. It's absurd that a northbound exit/southbound entrance between the I-395 express lanes and Seminary Road is not being added as part of this BRAC project. Such a ramp was proposed as part of the HOT lane project that has been deferred. People going to the Pentagon are some of the biggest users of the HOV and the slug line system, and there's no reason to think the people at this new building would be different--IF there were access. Seems to me that the additional cost of the ramp would have been minimal in the scheme of things, as the right-side median between the express and local lanes is already a bit wider at that spot anyway.

Posted by: 1995hoo | November 19, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

OMG they should put a northbound ramp from the HOV lanes at/to Seminary Road for that new building!! I cant believe they aren't going to!!

Posted by: FormerUpstater | November 19, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Ha as soon as he got to Seminary I was able to ID the whole route, even the final residential street. I used to cut through there to go home from a previous job.

Posted by: RyanInFx | November 20, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse