MoCo: All streets have received at least one pass

Update (1:20 p.m.): We're receiving some reports from people saying their streets haven't been plowed. Check to make sure the county is responsible for you street, and not one of the local jurisdictions or the state of Maryland, which plows numbered state routes. Here is a link with more information on who clears snow. You can report the problem to Montgomery County using this link or by calling 240-777-6000.

Original post: The Montgomery County Department of Transportation says the agency has cleared emergency routes, bus routes, primary and secondary roads after this weekend's record snowfall. Officials said in a statement that all residential streets have received some attention, but the sheer volume from the weekend means that there may be more work to do.

Officials said residents can report problem areas here or by calling 240-777-6000. Here is the county's snow removal map.

County officials said the state clears numbered routes in the county and some municipalities, such as Rockville, have their own snow removal programs.

By Michael Bolden  |  December 22, 2009; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Weather  | Tags: snowstorm
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chicago source of severe air travel delays
Next: Hazards of a drive around Washington

Comments

My Silver Spring neighborhood is looking great. The County, at least the part I live in, deserves an atta-boy pat on the back.

Thanks from Silver Spring 20910 for a job well-done.

Posted by: RedBird27 | December 22, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Compared to most of the rest of the area, MoCo did a pretty good job during the storm. That's coming from a Buffalonian, so pat yourself on the back, MoCo.

Posted by: reiflame1 | December 22, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I am just wondering whose bright idea it was to close down two lanes of 270 to plow it during the rush hour? First of it's outrageous that they left it unplowed for three days after the snow stopped, it's a major highway. Second, rush hour really? Same thing that VDOT did last night on 495 during the evening rush. And exit ramps and merge lanes, forget that, they are covered.

I am glad to hear other people have had positive experiences in Montgomery County, but as a native Pittsburgher I am astounded at the terrible job that was done here. I understand it was a big snow, but this seems to be due to bad decision making, and being down right cheap. I don't know if it's the county, the city or the state but to whomever it is needs to get their act together. I've been here for ten years and everytime it snows this happens and it never gets any better.

Sidewalks were even worse on the part of the County. Downtown Bethesda merchants did a great job clearing them until you got to the part maintained by the County they were untouched.

Posted by: lisannez | December 22, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

My neighborhood in Bethesda is still not complete, although the county thinks it is. Of special concern (naturally) is my street and the street we feed off of. Since we are on a hill, my wife's car cannot make it up with 4 inches of ice and snow pack still there. I've called and got attitude from the woman on the phone. Sheesh, thanks for nothing MoCo.

Posted by: ssolomo | December 22, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Saying that all the roads have had one pass does not mean that they will be snow free. I live in Silver Spring and the road that my neighborhood is off was probably plowed around noon on Saturday. So, of course that means it is still covered by a lot of snow. But, I accept that is just how it is going to be. the main roads near me are clear. Overall, I think the county has done a decent job.

Posted by: SweetieJ | December 22, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I wasn't specific. We have not received ANY passes. The main street through our neighborhood is clear, but most of the tertiary and secondary streets have not been touched (besides by homeowners shoveling and traffic).

Posted by: ssolomo | December 22, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse