Crowding on Red Line tonight

Post staff writer Lena H. Sun reports that the platform at Farragut North has been jammed for a while now, pretty late in the evening rush.

Sun wonders why the station manager can't leave the booth to make some announcements about whatever is causing this and when relief will come in the form of more trains.

There was a train malfunction at Medical Center, but that was resolved more than an hour ago, Metro says.

Plenty of Twitter about the Red Line scene tonight. Two themes: The platforms and trains are jammed; there are no announcements explaining what's going on.

Not a good start to a week when Metro is going to tell us about its plans for service cutbacks. (Punchline: How can we tell?)

It's a good thing there's no game tonight at Verizon Center. Tuesday, though, the Caps will be playing.

And another thing to watch out for tonight through Thursday night on the Red Line: track maintenance. Riders between Medical Center and Grosvenor should add at least 20 minutes from 8 p.m. through the midnight closing. (That's a scheduled slowdown. Unlike the one you're experiencing now.)

By Robert Thomson  |  January 4, 2010; 6:48 PM ET
Categories:  Metro  | Tags: Dr. Gridlock
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's read: Traffic, transit list for 2010
Next: Headaches on the horizon

Comments

It was already crowded when I boarded a red line train at Union Station around 6, but it helped nothing that our train went out of service because of a malfunctioning door at Gallery Place. I had to wait two trains to squeeze on another; others probably waited longer. I doubt I could have heard an announcement on the extremely crowded platform.

I had noticed at Union Station that it was 10 minutes until the train after the one I originally boarded. No idea why there was such a back up during rush hour...

Posted by: Louise9 | January 4, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I think Louise9 was on the same train I was: I left Silver Spring at 5:45 to head to Metro Center (then waited nearly 10 minutes on that elevated platform), but at Gallery Place our train doors busted and the standing-on-other-people-room-only train had to offload onto an already jammed platform. A bunch of people (me included) were snapping cell phone pics from the mezzanine of how crowded that platform was, end to end; it was hugely dangerous. (And some people actually ended up getting shoved *back onto* the out-of-service train.) I went downstairs and took the Green to L'Enfant rather than trying to take the Red to Metro Center... in better weather I'd have walked.

Tonight was just one of those Murphy's Law days on the Metro, but I'm a lot more tolerant of those, and of the resulting 90+ minute commutes, when I can feel my fingers and toes.

Posted by: EtoilePB | January 4, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I tried to enter Farragut North this evening at around 8:30 PM, right when Metro was closing all stations between Farragut North and Judiciary Square, according to the loudspeaker announcements. The official reason was a suspicious package at Gallery Place, and Metro disseminated a notice to that effect via e-alert at 8:48 PM. Fortunately, by the time I arrived at Union Station at around 9:00 PM, the situation had been resolved.

Posted by: sburban | January 4, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I entered the Metro Center station around 6:30 (give or take), and the platform was 8 people deep. The signs were showing the next train would arrive in 1 minute so people were jockeying for spots. Then the train never came. The sign flashed and all the trains disappeared form the board. All the while the platform got more and more packed. It got to the point were people were going underneath the railings under the escalators. People began shouting and pushing and that is when i left and walked over to McPherson and took the L2 bus to Cleveland Park. As i was walking out people were crowded around the booth in the station asking the one worker for information. She said said people were free to leave and all she knew was a train was held at Gallery Place. People started shouting asking why there were no announcements, no instructions, and no help. It was a dangerous situation, and I was very anxious that there was no police or metro presence.

Posted by: roteki | January 5, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Bend over and take it like the cattle you are.

Posted by: member5 | January 5, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse