Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Share Stories  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |  Get Gridlock:    Twitter |    Facebook  |     RSS   |  phone Alerts

Long lines for buses at Shady Grove and Rockville stations

[This post will be updated. Check this story for more information. ]

10 A.M.: According to one Twitter user this morning, it took more than 35 minutes to travel from Brookland to Farragut North (a trip that should take 11 minutes, according to WMATA). That same user reported that twice as many trains were heading in the opposite direction as her train.

Join Dr. Gridlock for a live chat starting right now.

9:15 A.M.: Commuters posting to Twitter this morning noted that big crowds were building up at the Gallery Place and Metro Center stations as well. If you saw big crowds or delays anywhere south of Twinbrook, please sound off in the comments below.

8:55 A.M.: The long lines for shuttles at the Shady Grove station has seeped into long wait times for local buses, reports staff writer Lisa Rein from the station. Riders are complaining that local buses have been turned into shuttles, which has escalated wait times for the buses.

People there are angry and astonished that two workers died, and the feeling seems to be that the Metro system is unsafe.

"I'm scared to ride Metro," said Steve Dorsey, 52, who rides the train every day. "People are getting killed. It seems like you would know where your workers are at all times. Their coordination is all screwed up."

Metro's inconsistency is what worries Mary Williams, a student waiting for 20 minutes for a local bus to Montgomery College.

"I'm scared to ride the subway," said Williams, 45, of Gaithersburg. "They should have some type of safety put forth for their works' lives."

8:30 A.M.: The Shady Grove and Rockville stations remain closed and long lines have formed at the stations for shuttle buses. Travelers are advised to drive to Twinbrook or another station further south to catch a train rather than waiting for the shuttle buses.

At the Twinbrook station, there are many more cars than on a usual morning. Northbound trains at Twinbrook are being turned around after unloading at the station. The parking lot on the Rockville Pike side of the station is already filled up, while parking in the back is filling quickly, according to Local editor Emilio Garcia-Ruiz. Commuters parking at the station should take the Twinbrook parkway entrance and head to the newest lot adjacent to the pedestrian entrance. (About 30 spots remained there as of 8:15 a.m.)

No delays were reported south of the Twinbrook station.

By Mark Berman  |  January 26, 2010; 8:31 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Two Metro workers struck and killed early Tuesday; agency expects normal afternoon commute
Next: Join me for 10 a.m. chat on Red Line incident


I can't believe this says no delays south of Twinbrook. Is that supposed to mean no delays on the east side of the red line either? I waited 10 minutes for a train at Silver Spring at 8:10 this morning. It was packed so tight that some people were left on the platform. It took me 45 minutes to get to Metro Center when it should only take 25 mins.

Posted by: SweetieJ | January 26, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Here is a question: Did Metro have a shortage of trains on the Red Line this morning since Shady Grove yard was in the area that was not in service?

Posted by: dhlunar | January 26, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Very late posting on this. I was at Shady Grove about 8:45. It was very nice to have Metro employees directing people and controlling the lines. The first shuttle was only going to Twinbrook. But, the employees were kind enough to help direct me when I needed to get Rockville by 9:30 for court.

Also, thank you to the tv station reporter who asked around for me when I heard my problem. I didn't catch his name, or his station, but his kindness was appreciated.

Considering the usual disarray when they to use shuttle buses, today went smoothly. I got a shuttle to Rockville and was to court well before 9:30.

Posted by: epjd | January 26, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company