Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Share Stories  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |  Get Gridlock:    Twitter |    Facebook  |     RSS   |  phone Alerts

Red Line stations reopen

Shady Grove and Rockville stations have reopened. Delays continue in both directions, Metro reports. See full story.

Thanks to everyone who joined me between 10 a.m. and noon for an online discussion about the accident that killed two Metro workers on the Red Line tracks between Rockville and Shady Grove and the aftermath for commuters.

Oh.jpg Sung Oh, 68, of Montgomery Village (Metro)

During those two hours, additional information emerged from Metro, the National Transportation Safety Board and Post reporters, which I'd like to summarize for anyone who read only part of the discussion:

-- Metro identified the workers as Automatic Train Control technicians Jeff Garrard and Sung Oh. [See Post graphic on Metro workplace fatalities.]
-- Garrard, 49, of Clarksburg had been a Metro employee since April 1990.
-- Oh, 68, of Montgomery Village, had been a Metro employee since December 1998.
-- The men were installing new train control equipment in the track bed along an outbound section of track on the Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove when they were struck at about 1:45 a.m. near the Rockville Metrorail station.
-- The Metro vehicle that struck them was a high rail truck (also known as a Hi-rail or Hy-rail), a large truck that is equipped with special wheels that allow it to drive on the track when electricity that usually powers trains is taken down.
-- Metro spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said the truck does not emit a beeping noise when it travels backward on rails, though it does when driving in reverse on a roadway.

Garrard.jpg Jeff Garrard, 49, of Clarksburg (Metro photo)

-- Anthony Garland, chief safety officer for the union that represents most Metro employees, said there appears to have been a communication problem between the department in charge of the truck and the Automatic Train Control department. The workers were installing new train control equipment in the track bed for that department.
-- Federal investigators have completed the preliminary phase of their work at the site, north of the Rockville platform, and the NTSB has scheduled a press conference for 3 p.m.

By Robert Thomson  |  January 26, 2010; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  Metro  | Tags: Dr. Gridlock, Metro delays, Metrorail  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Graham: Tapping Metro capital budget would avoid service cuts, fares increases
Next: D.C. to close Eastern Avenue bridge on Monday

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company