Why does Metro feel so crowded?

If Metro ridership is down over the past year, why does it feel so crowded? That question, posed by Metro board member Chris Zimmerman of Arlington last week, is on the minds of lots of transit riders.

Rush-hour rail and bus commuters complain to me as much as ever about the crowding they encounter. For example, I've gotten many inquiries since the start of the new year about whether Metro went ahead and made those service cuts the staff was proposing. (No.)

I offer these facts for discussion:
-- Dave Kubicek, who is in charge of rail service, says the number of eight-car trains has not decreased. (My theory: Many of us thought the newest rail cars would allow Metro to operate half of the rush-hour trains with eight cars. That's what Metro said it would have the capacity to do. In fact, the lines have never operated rush-hour service at that level, so the service never met our expectations.)
-- Metro officials said that when they ordered trains to operate under manual, rather than automatic control, it probably would slow travel somewhat and throw off schedules.
-- Rider experiences may vary: Trains and buses continue to get thrown off schedule as they travel along lengthy, crowded routes at rush hour. I notice the variation if I'm lucky enough to board a train that's operating two minutes behind the previous train. By contrast, I won't bother to try forcing my way aboard the first train in nine minutes.
-- Though trains have been pulling to the front of the platform for half a year, many people still stand too far down the platform and have to rush to board the last car, overcrowding it.
-- Metro officials attribute the decline in ridership mostly to job losses rather than fears stemming from the June 22 crash or its aftermath. (I think that's reasonable. The transit ridership decline is a national trend.) Rail ridership has been more resilient than bus ridership.
-- All trips are not equal: Metro says it is experiencing a decline in long rail trips and growth in short trips. (Do you find the trains any less crowded than they used to be once you get to the outer stations beyond the system's core?)

By Robert Thomson  |  January 13, 2010; 1:50 PM ET
Categories:  Metro  | Tags: Dr. Gridlock, Metro delays, Metrobus, Metrorail
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's read: Concern over Prince George's cameras
Next: Headaches on the horizon

Comments

I can't say I've noticed much of a difference, but I just started riding again in November after a period of unemployment. I also had to switch from the Green line to the Orange line, so I don't know what my old trip would be liek now.

The east side of the Orange line doesn't get the crush that the west end does either. I have noticed that west bound train traffic can hit some odd intervals where I get on at Landover. Sometimes the gap is 2 minutes, sometimes it's 8.

Posted by: EricS2 | January 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If "the number of eight-car trains has not decreased" they must be counting the ones that never leave the rail yard.

Posted by: member5 | January 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The close-in Orange Line has been a disaster every morning this year, save today. The trains get backed up, which results in them filling up as they get into Arlington. By the time they get to, say Courthouse, nobody can get on the train. The next one is 9 minutes away, so the pattern repeats.

If Metro can't provide reliable subway service to people in Arlington, they should run shuttles from a couple of the stations to Rosslyn. But that would make too much sense.

Posted by: mike8 | January 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I've definitely noticed trains, especially on the red line, being way more crowded lately. The reason I'm seeing is that they are running trains much too far apart during rush hour. As a result, hundreds of people build up on the platform waiting, they try to crowd in, the operator has to make 5 attempts at closing the doors (and sometimes has to offload the entire train), and every stop as you get further down the line gets worse.

I get on the Metro at Forest Glen in the mornings (around 8:10), and during normal times, the train cars only about 1/3 full. Yesterday (Tuesday) and another day last week, there was no train for 20 minutes. That's right--I got to the station at 8:10 and not one train serviced it until 8:30. Of course, by then there were hundreds of people waiting and it got progressively worse as we moved into D.C.--almost no one could get on at all by the time we reached Union Station. These two days were extraordinarily bad, but it's pretty common to have to wait 6-8 minutes between trains on the red line at rush hour.And when you're in D.C. bound for Forest Glen, you don't even want to take those Silver Spring trains, so it really means you're looking a a wait of even longer for a Glenmont train. I wouldn't mind a fare increase at all if it meant I could rely on the trains.

Posted by: lmd3 | January 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

from silver spring, i see trains following or bunching frequently. i've often waited to take one turning around at silver spring and following the prior train by two minutes for the more comfortable, less crowded ride.

but it tells me they should be better spaced to ease crowding, instead of being turned for turnings sake.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | January 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I ride the red line from/to Glemont. Heading towards Glemont, it used to be the car was almost empty after Silver Spring. Lately people are still standing at Glemont.

Posted by: mmad2 | January 13, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

To make traveling worse they were stopping people and searching bags at Glemont this morning.

Posted by: mmad2 | January 13, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

From Dr. Gridlock: mmad2, are you saying that Metro transit police were searching bags at the Glenmont station this morning? That would be the first time -- to my knowledge -- that transit police conducted such searches.

Posted by: Robert Thomson | January 13, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Why? Because they don't run enough 8-car trains. Also, there are those who drag those damned wheeled bags everywhere. Just what are you totting around?

Posted by: jckdoors | January 13, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

At least I saw someone is a bright vest going through someones purse.

Posted by: mmad2 | January 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed a decrease in 8 car trains on the Green Line. Used to be 1 of 2 or 1 of 3 trains would have 8 cars. That's no longer the case.

Lately, the wait at Silver Spring in the evening has seemed longer than usual.

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed that the Orange line trains are always very crowded between Arlington and DC at rush hour, both ways. Consistently, I cannot get on a train due to overcrowding at least once or twice a week, each way. This is worse than it was a year ago.

Posted by: dand246 | January 13, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I would note that there seem to be more and more people riding all the way to Shady Grove - I would say up until about a year and a half ago, there were consistently seats available once outbound trains went through White Flint/Twinbrook. Now, not so much.

My supposition: if Metro can't get safety right, why would we trust their stats?

Posted by: jackdonaghy | January 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I board the train at Shady Grove at 6:15 AM to Dupont Circle. It is increasingly crowded by the time it arrives at Bethesda.

I leave Dupont at approximately 4:45 PM. It is nearly impossible to get on a train; it is always standing room (shoulder to shoulder) only. Even the first car of the train is a cattle car.

Now Metro is talking about raising fares once again. Indeed, if this happens, I will revert to driving - the cost, both financial and physical, is not worth it.

Posted by: catsredslippers | January 13, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I ride Metro every day and have since 2001. I get on at Twinbrook, two stations from the end of the red line. Beginning in December, the trains arriving at Twinbrook are 'standing room only' now at 8:30 am, they were never this crowded previously. I have noticed the overcrowding has increased a great deal recently. It seems insulting, after having persevered through the reduced level of service after the June 22 crash, to now have to wade through yet another uncomfortable commute each morning.

Posted by: HelenPoor | January 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Here's my answer to you whining Metro masses.
Suck it up!
It beats walking.
Three fourths of you mongrels are healthy enough to ride bikes.
What, too lazy?

And if the trains are there every nine minutes whay do you need a schedule?

Posted by: eddiemacs | January 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I catch the 5:03 AM at Dunn Loring (Orange Line) and where there used to be about 10 of us in a car arriving at Metro Center, there are now standees.

All last week, there was trouble daily on the Orange Line and we even had to offload a train. It took three trains before I could get in the "crush" to even board a train. I was 15-30 minutes late getting to my car every day that I rode the train.

I see right now, Wednesday at 4:16, the Orange/Blue Lines will be affected again for today's rush hour.

Metro keeps asking the customers for their patience -- just how much more patience does it think WE can give??? The upcoming fare increase should absolutely shame Mr. Catoe and his staff.

Posted by: cheen48 | January 13, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I, like others, have the Orange Line problem. I board at Clarendon. If the trains are more than five minutes apart, then they're full from Falls Church or Virginia Square, and no more than one or two people per car can board at Clarendon. Then everyone's left behind at Courthouse... and the huge pile of people just gets bigger and worse.

Last Monday, when there had been a train problem out at Dunn Loring *35 minutes* before I went to Clarendon, I got stuck waiting at Clarendon for 45 minutes. Had to let five trains go by without me on them before I got rude and shoved to get on the 6th. (My whole trip from Clarendon to Silver Spring should take about 45 minutes.)

Coming home has been just as wretched. I used to be able to get a seat from Metro Center back to Clarendon about once or twice a week (throughout 2008), but now I'm lucky if I can get on the train at all. And my commute has consistently, permanently gone to between 1:10 and 1:30 each way, when it used to be :45 - :55 each way. Those extra half-hours a day really do add up.

And the blue line outbound in the evenings really is *massively* less popular than the orange line. You can see it at Metro Center, and again at Rosslyn. They probably ought to run them more like 2:1 orange:blue rather than the 50/50 it is now.

Posted by: EtoilePB | January 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Getting on at West Falls Church there has definitely been a change since January 4. We use to have a few originating trains at West Falls so the platforms did not get congested. Now it seems all trains head to Vienna leaving the West Falls platforms stuffed and so when a train does come from Vienna it is over packed immediately. We need more originating trains from West Falls to alleviate over stuffed trains as they head into the district.....

Posted by: Buschow | January 13, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I ride the Red Line from Shady Grove to Farragut North. Since the June accident, I have noticed that digital signs are often inaccurate, especially if there are any delays. Also, there are rarely any timely announcements about delays. Overall there is more crowding both ways on the Red Line, and I have not seen an 8-car train in many weeks.

Metro also promised that trains would not turn around at Grovesnor during the evening rush, and that has not happened yet either.

Posted by: rskel | January 13, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The reason riders are still standing at the wrong end of the platform is that at least in Farragut West, there's no room to wait at the right end of the platform.

The issue isn't going to be solved by the number of cars per train, it's always been the number of minutes between trains.

Posted by: maxjb | January 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Dr G. has metro done any studies if ridership is up (or down) on certain lines? I know of a lot of people that have moved to the orange line area of Arlington (Court House, Clarendon, Ballston, etc.) recently. They all used to live either in Rockville or Silver Spring.

And guess what those friends of mine who moved down there do now? Complain about the rush hour crush on the metro. I told them it was bad but they didn't believe me!

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | January 13, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"I have not seen an 8-car train in many weeks."

I saw an 8 car train two days ago, but it said it was going to be a 2 car train on the electronic board. I was all ready to shout out "oh no, the other cars must have fallen off!" but never got my chance. :(

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | January 13, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The Orange Line has also been too crowded in recent months. Part of the problem lies with train operators prematurely offloading entire trains when one individual door is blocked by a clueless passenger, instead of enlisting support from station staff to locate and correct the blocked door problem. Better procedures and more support at the station level is needed.

Posted by: fairfaxer | January 13, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Mornings, around 8:15, I take Green line from College Park, change at L'Enfant Plaza -- Blue or Orange -- to Farragut West. Obviously, evening is the reverse.

In the mornings, the Green seems to have many more riders at CP, only the second stop coming from Greenbelt, than it used to. Trains to Branch Ave. seem to be further apart. And it still seems to frequently have one towards Branch for every three to Greenbelt (and I'm going to kick the next Metro employee who assures me that that simply can't be true as though I can't count to three). I haven't noticed much change at L'Enfant.

In the evenings, while the VA side at Farragut West is still heavier, it seems that the New Carrollton/whatever-Blue is heavier than it used to be. I get off at 5:30 and would wait to leave at 6 so the trains wouldn't be so crowded. Since the first of the year, it has still been packed at 6. At L'Enfant, the Green/Yellow lines not only have been packed, but are running oddly: three yellow, two green, large chunks of time between trains, etc.

And none of the message boards seem to be accurate.

Posted by: IndolentCin | January 13, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Is there a seasonal issue with riders bunching up at different times during the rush hour period (earlier, later, etc.) during different times of year?

I don't ride Metro regularly - generally it takes twice as long to travel by Metro than car from Laurel to Alexandria.

Posted by: mgribben | January 13, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

First of all, just because you live way out in Shady Grove or Vienna and pay the highest price to go to & from there, that DOESN NOT entitle you to a seat EVERY TIME that you get on the subway.
Second, when the announcements say, "DOORS CLOSING", that is NOT a signal for you to race down the escalators and jamb your briefcase/purse/suitcase into the door to keep it open. That type of action, along with ignorant tourists holding the doors open so that their 12 kids can get on, are EXACTLY the reason that trains get held up in the stations for longer than they should and the conductor has to off-load everyone because the train broke down. Jamming the doors open causes the computers to malfunction that run the trains. If you cannot get on the train by the time the bells sound and doors close, DO NOT jamb the doors open; you only cause delays and problem for everyone else with your selfishness.
As DR. Gridlock stated, the subway really isn't that much more crowded; YOU (those chiming in here) are expecting more thant you should.
That's not to say that METRO does a spectacular job; but you are not spectacular customers either, so LIGHTEN UP!

Posted by: jsabol | January 13, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

It is time to start beating door jammers.

But if you want a seat so bad, ride the train to the end of the line and back.

Posted by: member5 | January 13, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I have never ridden the Red Line downtown during rush hour when it wasn't jammed with passengers (whom Metro, for some reason, insists on calling "customers"). The same is true when I connect to the Yellow Line, which is often standing-room- only all the way to Huntington.

Posted by: stanfalk | January 13, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Metro is more crowded and the current Metro Board does nothing to help the situation.

At a minimum, they should look to increase fares by 50 cents, not the 10 and 20 cents they are considering.

Trains should run at a maximum of 6 minute intervals during rush hour. When they start getting to 8 minutes, the station and trains get to crowded.

I get on at Clarendon, and I have been riding from here for almost 20 years. It is bad, and getting worse. I see nothing the current Metro Board is doing that will change it.

They all need to resign, and get someone involved who has some idea how to run a transit system.

When the Metro goes to Tysons, it will be a disaster... which Metro is used to.

Posted by: danvilleEstate | January 13, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

The Orange Line has seemed more crowded. Going home after the Caps game on Thursday, I got on at Metro center around 9:45 pm. That train was very slow, esp. between Ballston and West Falls Church. By the time I got off at Dunn Lorning, it was about 4 minutes to the next train and there was no track work that night.

Posted by: NovaCath1 | January 13, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree, the Orange Line is as crowded as it ever was.

If trains are running 3 or 4 minutes apart, it's fine. If they're running 5 or 6 minutes apart, it's crowded through Virginia.

The Connector buses coming into Vienna and West Falls Church every morning are as crowded as they ever were and the garages at these locations fill up in the morning as early as they did a year or a year and a half ago, so logic follows that ridership is the same.

Since trains are less consistent in their spacing, then they also tend to more crowded more often, and stopping at the end of the platform doesn't help - the stations are designed to accommodate the most people in the middle of the platform. With escalators in many stations at the wrong end of the platform, cars 5 and 6 on a six car train are overcrowded so most people now wait at cars 2 and 3. A surprise 8 car train does not help.

Posted by: rnorwood01 | January 13, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

If the tone of the comments here is any indication, then riding Metro causes more stress than driving, even with the traffic.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | January 13, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

It would seem there would likely be fewer eight car trains based on the number of cars damaged in the June accident along with the cars damaged in the recent West Falls Church yard accident. That's at least 6 cars out of service and unless Metro has extra cars just sitting around, they had to come from somewhere.

Posted by: heresathought | January 14, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I ride the orange line. I am signed up to receive alerts from metro if there are problems. Every day I receive emails from them telling me that orange line trains are malfunctioning. This causes delays which in turn causes crowding.

Another reason for crowding is the rude and inconsiderate people who take up more than 1 seat. I ride with my bag on my lap. Some people seem to think they are too special to put their bags on their lap so they put their stuff on the seat next to them.

Posted by: akschrecengost | January 14, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

That is a good point, akschrecengost. Some crowding is due to inconsiderate people who will look right at you and not move their bag or their feet!

I think it mostly has to do with spacing of trains as well as the speed at which trains move. Is there an official list of how often trains are *supposed* to come on each line during different periods of the day? I read something like this that said trains should come every 3 minutes on the red line during rush hour, but this was a long time ago.

Posted by: DOEJN | January 14, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Live from virginia square here.... every train is packed solid. Trains were spaced six minutes apart. People here aren't idiots - they cluster at the front of the platform and even those cars are full.

I had an alternate theory which is that the schedule has been altered to alleviate the bottleneck at rosslyn. With manual braking it was awful being a passenger waiting to get through there.

FYI 8 car train just arrived packed. Conductor said they were running behind schedule.

A good wapo reporter would compare train frequency stats between 12, 6 and 4 months.

Posted by: PBandJ | January 14, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Dave Kubicek? Isn't he the guy who has been running the railroad during all of these train wrecks, safety lapses, injuries and deaths; when Metro went from the best to the worst safety record of any transit agency in America. Why does he still have a job?

Now the WP says, "the newest rail cars would allow Metro to operate half of the rush-hour trains with eight cars. That's what Metro said it would have the capacity to do. In fact, the lines have never operated rush-hour service at that level, so the service never met our expectations."

So isn't Kubicek responsible for getting these railcars fixed and out in service every day? Isn't this another major Metro failure? After tax payers paid hundreds of millions of dollars for new railcars Metro/Kubicek can't even get them in service. How does this guy still have a job?

Another Catoe failure. Is there anything Catoe can do right? How does he still have a job?

Posted by: ryanc22032 | January 14, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Oddly, after this came out I saw the first 8 car trains in many months on the red line from Takoma to Downtown. It would appear that WMATA is reducing services, for budget reasons, until they get caught. Then they claim otherwise, put things back until the fervor dies. Repeat.

Raise fairs and be honest about what you're doing.

Where are the whistle-blowers? Do the employees not care?

Posted by: dedlinetosilverspring | January 14, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Dr. Gridlock:

It's quite possible that for certain lines, and within lines, travel in certain directions, that passenger trips are down, bringing down the overall number. For example, west segment of Red Line heading from MoCo into DC is more crowded--that is an objective fact, because MoCo is building more densely around Metro, and the jobs are still downtown. On the eastern side, from Glenmont, it is likely the same. The opposite commute pattern, from downtown to the MoCo, probably is WAY down. But how do you handle people all moving in the same direction? Certainly not with a blanket service cut!

That's the logic behind turning trains around early, or even skipping stops (e.g. Medical Center, for example, the most under-utilized station in the whole system). The Grosvenor turn around trains fill up plenty, and it would make sense for some of those, maybe every other train, originating in Shady Grove to simply skip Grosvenor and Medical Center. It's easy, obvious, fair, and would distribute passengers better. Therefore Metro would never think of it.

Posted by: Wallenstein | January 14, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I seriously think Metro is lying about the riders being down to justify cuts.

It's more going on to this than they are letting on. But who are we?

Just Metro riders being herded like cattle.

Posted by: cbmuzik | January 14, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

dear metro,

please try searching me at silver spring. i would love to sue you for attempted constitutional violations.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | January 14, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I wish Metro riders were being herded like cattle. Then we'd have cattle prods to keep them from jamming the doors.

Posted by: member5 | January 14, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I notice that the newer cars, while having more space do not have sufficient places to hold on to. Those cars actually create a traffic jam upon entry/exit.

Posted by: kahlua87 | January 14, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Dr. Gridlock, mmad2 and anarcho-liberal-tarian: Metro Transit cops do NOT wear bright vests. They wear dark blue uniforms, badges, coats that have "POLICE" written on them, radios, and guns. They are COPS with full force and effect for search and seizure in the course of their duties. They are real police who work with jurisdiction in state of MD, the District, and the Commonwealth of VA. The do NOT search people for no reason and the person who was allegedly "searched" was NOT searched by MTPD, which is obvious from the details you gave.

I don't know exactly what you saw, but it was not Metro Transit Police who was allegedly searching anyone's purse. Please do not say that it was the MTPD. I am not sure what the station manager was doing, but I know it wasn't the cops: you didn’t even get the uniform correct.

Posted by: roma_t | January 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I ride the orange line every day and for the past few weeks the train has been totally packed. One day, someone pushed me into the train so they could get on.

Nobody "moves to the center of the car" everyone stands right by the door.
Sometimes they don't give people enough time to even get out.

And why do they run blue trains back-to-back (towards Largo). The 2nd blue train is always empty and then when the orange train eventually comes, you can't even get on.

They need to re-vamp this whole system!

Posted by: emcguire | January 14, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Why do we even ask metro for answers? They lie, cover up, and give misinformation (as seems to be the culture of metro). Where is the data to back up any of their claims and answers? I'll tell you where it is, in la la land. That's where metro management and the board meet.

Posted by: 123cartoon | January 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The orange line New Carrolton trains running from Vienna to DC are massively overcrowded in the morning rush. It is impossible to board at stations between Ballston and Rosslyn between 7:30 and 8:30 am, because the train is full. Completely full, with someone's arm or bag or coat sticking out the train door and blocking it from closing.

I moved out of Arlington because the Metro commute was so difficult and unpleasant.

Posted by: sunflower_123 | January 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I saw an 8 car train yesterday going from Metro Center to Silver Spring for the first time in months.

Service cuts must be a nonstarter, raise the fares absolutely, but no service cuts, that will be a joke.

Posted by: JG55 | January 14, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

eddiemacks: You're an idiot.

Posted by: jckdoors | January 14, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't Metro put their budget to better use? Here are some suggestions:
- Bringing in some Japanese transit consultants. The folks in Tokyo have got their system correct!
- Hire people that actually want to work in earning their paycheck
- paint lines at the stations, indicating where people should stand in line to wait for doors (too easy maybe?)
- Add a loop to the current Metro configuration, rather than extending the spokes outward
- start 'express' routes for the farther stations into DC (less stops in between)
- is there really a need for as many stations on the Orange line in NOVA as there currently are? They are like 2 minutes apart! WTH!
- ditto for most lines in DC proper!
- when you can walk, do so!
God bless America and all of our conveniences!

Posted by: jeremysbro | January 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

It's 2:15 on Thursday 1/14 ... Catoe can't take the heat! He's resigning -- NBC just sent an alert and so did Metro.

I hope they HIRE A WOMAN as the next head of Metro -- certainly can't do any worse than these men have done in the past 3-6 years...

Posted by: cheen48 | January 14, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I am so angry this afternoon after waiting for a train to come through Farragut West. The first train that came through was an empty train, the next train, an Orange line, took forever to come. It showed up as 7, then 5, then 3, 2, then 5, and then, 3 minutes. As I waited, the platform became increasingly crowded. When the train finally came, it was crowded, and of course, everyone tried to jam in like sardines.
Whoever is responsible for managing/allocating trains needs to be fired since they are doing a poor job. All of the complaints that I see above are for the Orange line, and yet, I see a ratio of 2 to 1 Blue line to Orange line trains. The Blue line trains are not crowded and frequently have spaces. In contrast, the Orange line in the morning suffers from frequent delays. It used to be that I could get a seat in West Falls Church in the morning. That's not true anymore. And it gets progressively worse as the train wends its way through Arlington. The delays lead to crowding which leads to further problems, including door breakages, as people try to jam themselves in an already crowded car. Short answer, we need more frequent trains, more cars, and less Blue line trains!

Posted by: manfromtallahassee | January 14, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like it's time for a riot.

Posted by: member5 | January 14, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse