Evening commute a problem, too

8:05 p.m. Update: Finally, it's time to settle in for the night, maybe watch the Olympics and share some time with the family. Well, that's only if you've made it home. Many Washingtonians are still on the roads tonight.

Our traffic map is still showing slow-going in many areas of the region. Volume still appears heavy on I-66 eastbound. There's heavy volume, too, on I-495 through Silver Spring and U.S. 50 heading east toward Bowie and Annapolis.

Let us know what type of commute you've had. Send us an e-mail.

6:15 p.m. Update: It's not getting better out there. Here is a roundup of some of the latest incidents around the region as reported by Trafficland.

Traffic signals are out on Fairfax County Parkway at Fair Lakes Parkway. Backups extend to U.S. 50.

On North Capitol Street northbound at Missouri Avenue NW, only one lane gets by. The other is blocked by snow.

On I-495 outer loop at River Road, the right lane has been closed at River Road. This is also slowing traffic on I-270 southbound all the way to Montrose Road.

On the inner loop of I-95 at Ritchie Marlboro Road, a disabled tractor-trailer is blocking the left lane. Delays extend all the way back to the Greenbelt Metro station.

On New Hampshire Avenue northbound at Lockwood Drive, snow plows are causing delays. Only the left lane gets by. Delays extend to Piney Branch.

Original post: It's a perfectly awful way to bookend the day. This morning's difficult commute is being paired with a challenging evening rush hour.

One of the major problems in the region continues to be the presence of snow in traffic lanes. District officials warned in a statement that delays this evening might be a problem and urged people to use public transit or to stagger their departure times.

Already, several sites are experiencing problems, and they aren't limited to the District city limits. These include:
an accident at I-95 southbound at Route 4; an overturned truck on 123 southbound at the Fairfax County Parkway; two right lanes closed for snow removal on Rockville Pike at Cedar Lane; snow plows causing a traffic jam on New Hampshire Avenue northbound before Powder Mill Road; DC-295 between the 11th Street Bridge and Sousa Bridge due to snow removal; and I-66 eastbound at the E Street Expressway due to snow covering the right lane.

"We knew the commute would be difficult this morning for many residents and commuters," said District Department of Transportation Director Gabe Klein. "We cleared a lot of inbound commuter lanes this weekend. ... One of our many priorities now is on outbound lanes for the afternoon commute."

By Michael Bolden  |  February 16, 2010; 4:16 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Some Metrobus routes limited
Next: Tough going for school buses

Comments

19th St. NW, just north of Constitution, *still* reduces to only one lane because of snow piles -- nothing significant has changed since Friday evening.

It was only tolerable because I left at 3:30 p.m. to head home, but it was already apparent that it was going to become a big mess again.

Posted by: joe36 | February 16, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

joe36:

Thanks, again. We're sending this directly to one of DDOT's media relations people.

Michael Bolden
Transportation Editor

Posted by: boldenm | February 16, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Michael.

BTW, I'm aware that this isn't the silver bullet that's going to fix everything, and that other people are seeing similar or greater problems elsewhere, I'm just pointing out the most obvious place on my route that I can clearly see is causing snarls.

Posted by: joe36 | February 16, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

georgia ave between forest glen and glenmont has only 2 travel lanes..the bus lane is still covered in snow..same for university blvd between georgia ave and college park md..i understand that these are snow emergency routes...what does that mean??
going on 6days and bus lane still not plowed..

Posted by: wmnatzakanian | February 16, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Michael, can you report the North Capitol and Missouri issue to DDOT? Thanks.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | February 16, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

District officials urge people to use public transportation?? It just took me 1.5 hours to get home from Farragut West on a 32 bus--I could have (and SHOULD HAVE!) walked faster. What's changed since Friday???

Posted by: DCResident10 | February 16, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

How about talking to DC DOT about cracking down on the ridiculous parking that is going on all throughout the city. I work on 13th and F. However, in walking throughout the city, I noticed that wherever the snowpile ends has become the new curb. Well since the snow takes up the whole curb lane, that means everyone is parking in the second lane of traffic on both sides of the street completely obstructing traffic. In what universe is this ok? I watched streets where only one car could get down at a time. Why isn't DC going around towing every one of these cars? It is a safety hazard. I know parking is tough with all the snow, but if you choose to drive downtown you should be prepared to pay up and go to a garage. It's not like there aren't other ways in to the city. Metro actually worked quite well today.

Posted by: happydad3 | February 16, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

This is weird.. I left Old Town Alexandria at 4pm and got to Ashburn by 5pm. Which is a pretty decent commute. I think my record is around 40 minutes but that's if I leave by 3 30 and can sneak into the 66 HOV before the 4pm deadline.. this was the LONG way tonight and it was smoother than normal.

Posted by: SupremeWu | February 16, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Guess what? It was a pretty tough ride home for folks East of the River and in Southern MD/PG, as well. Not all the news happens in VA, NW DC and Montgomery County.

My husband and little boy picked me up at Branch Avenue Metro station because the C-11, yet again, appeared to be seriously delayed. We sat in the Kiss & Ride section for over 20 minutes without moving. Why? Because neither Metro nor any other public service entity gives a damn enough about this side of town to consider that there are at least 10's of thousands of commuters here who rely on one lousy Metro stop to get to work.

Walls of snow are piled up all along the Kiss and Ride section of Branch Ave. leaving one lane for moving cars to get through. There's not even Metro parking enforcement or SOMEone to make cars move along (drive around the lot, etc.) so that others can get through. Meanwhile, at the Clinton Park & Ride, there are walls and walls of snow that seem (for whatever reason) to impede the few buses that run here.

It's a disgrace. However, we don't see any friggin' cameras or other media on this end of town covering this mess. Nope, they're all too busy at King Street or somewhere else in VA or in N. MD or NW DC. Just like they were too busy covering snowball fights in DuPont Circle to focus on the residents here in Clinton who couldn't get heating oil because PG County didn't plow the residential roads here for a WEEK after the storms. (My street just got plowed last night.)

If my tone is angry, I apologize for the negative energy. I'm just so frustrated with PG County and other more ethnically diverse parts of the DC area being treated like ghetto stepchildren (not that there's anything wrong w/the ghetto; just people's perception and treatment of it). And I'm sick of Jack Johnson and crew acting as though their work ends in Greenbelt.

Posted by: kjsmom17 | February 16, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

"not that there's anything wrong w/the ghetto"

quote of the year!

Posted by: fireball72 | February 16, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

"not that there's anything wrong w/the ghetto"

quote of the year!

Posted by: jbgroup1 | February 17, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

As I walked from 19th to 16th and K (after an hour on the bus from 25th and Penn) last evening, I wondered why there were no traffic police out. They may not have made traffic move any faster, but their presence might have helped keep vehicles from blocking intersections.

Also wondered why the south side of Penn Avenue at 21st was being plowed during rush hour reducing eastbound traffic to squeezing between the vans blocking lanes for the snow plows and the westbound traffic.

Posted by: Croby | February 17, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse